Considering Dahua

Reaction score
I have been using the Poe version 5216. Went POE just to simplify setup, but will ultimately use a POE switch to enable remote location on the NVR. Turrets much easier to adjust / maintain. The one bullet I have is a constant spider attractor. I have spent over a month moving, monitoring and testing cameras. This is at a lake house, do I want it dark outside. Utilizing IR illuminators and turning off most of the internal IR. Will most likely move to BI, but wanted a starting point. Already mire cameras than I had in mind with a PTZ on the way.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More reading, LOL!
Seriously,..it never ends!
Seriously.

That being said I read that thread and now even more unsure which route to go!
fenderman who obviously knows his chit swears by BI,...then nayr who equally knows his chit swears by NVR's!
Obviously it's all personal choice, I just wish I knew which one will be best for me

I do like the added features with BI,..but will I use them? Really not sure.
And like nayr said,...I pretty much think I want to record 24-7,...and just have emails or push alerts when motion is detected (hoping I can do that on just certain cameras and not all --- but thats a questions for later down the line).
So back to research I guess. Probably gonna be selling 8k 24MP systems by the time I figure this out and actually make a purchase and install something :facepalm:
But thanks for ideas for sure, I do appreciate them and your patience

Reaction score
Wife wasn't impressed with the buckets and wires hanging out windows during testing, but getting them in conduit now that locations have been worked out.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good points vnotrunning. I do like the simplicity of running all cables directly into the NVR,..and I don't think I will ever need to move the NVR from the spot it will be located. But then again who knows! But like you said adding a switch wouldn't be that big of a deal. But not sure I want that fan noise so,....decisions decisions. - And another +1 for BI I guess. LOL

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"A bunch of us have gone from NVR to BI and never looked back!

I've never heard of anyone going BI to NVR and saying the same."

I have noticed this!

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm installing a system for my parents and went with a NVR w/ POE (NVR5216-16P-4KS2). I chose this since I'm going to set it up and (hopefully) forget it, it's in one compact box, and it was cheaper than a PC & switch setup.

The main downfall for me is that the internal POE switch is not on the same subnet as the NVR so you have to manually configure your computers ip address each time you want to access your cameras directly. It wouldn't be an issue if you could change the ip address of the POE, OR If the NVR had access to the exact same settings for each camera, OR If Dahua would implement a "virtual host" option like Hikvision to easily allow access to the cameras through the NVR. That is 3 different ways they could "fix" this but they don't.

When I install my own system I will go the PC route. There is much better support with fast updates and more future proof as technology advances. So my vote is to either go PC or non-POE NVR. Either way you will set it, and as long as you're happy with your settings, you will probably never touch it again unless you need to save a video file. Realistically you don't need to keep up with firmware updates as long as you are happy with your setup and have a VPN in place for security. The only reason to update would be if there were security issues or settings were implemented that you want to use.

Last edited:

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The main downfall for me is that the internal POE switch is not on the same subnet as the NVR so you have to manually configure your computers ip address each time you want to access your cameras directly.
Could you elaborate on this a little more? What is involved in "configuring the cams IP address" and why/when would I need to access the cameras after initial setup/configuration? Perhaps every time I want to change a setting or zoom, etc? (Wild guess but I had to try!)
But it is important because I have decided to go the NRV route for now just to get started since I want to get this ball rolling ASAP! I do keep going back and forth with Poe vs non PoE but it seems like another reason to go non and just buy a switch.
I'm sure I'll eventually go the BI route but it just doesn't seem like the right time. More option is NOT what I need!! LOL

On a side note what monitor and PoE switch do you use?!!! That's my next project to tackle and research but since I got you attention I might as well ask. :rolleyes:

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe you meant to type "configure the computers IP address" as that's what I typed so I don't know if you misread that. So the NVR will have a subnet IP address (the first 3 numbers of the IP address (I.e. 192.168.X) that is the same as everything else on your LAN. The POE switch in the Dahua NVRs IP address is 10.1.1.1 so the subnet is 10.1.1. Since you plug the cameras into the switch they are given the same subnet as the switch so they can communicate with the NVR. Therein lies the problem. You have to manually change your computers IP address to be on the same subnet to "see" the cameras.

Moral of the story, get a non-POE NVR. Also, if the switch dies in the NVR then you are out of luck but if you have an independent switch then you can easily replace that and move on. Also you can get a fanless switch that is quiet and you can also place the switch in a more convenient area (away from the NVR) if need be.

You want to access the cameras individually to firstly change the default password for security purposes, access settings that the NVR doesn't display as that will help fine tune your video quality, and I'm sure there's more I can't think of at the moment or just don't know about. I don't have a ton of experience yet myself.

Here is a discussion about POE switches: PoE Switch Suggestion List It all depends on the amount of cameras you will run and fanless or not. Get a gigabit rated switch so you can futureproof yourself or you might hook up other devices to it that are gigabit capable. They don't cost much more than 10/100 switches.

You can use pretty much anything for a monitor. My parents will use a TV hooked up with HDMI on a different input than their computer. Since this is all IP you can use anything that has internet access.

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is some misinformation out there regarding connecting to the cams once they are connected to the NVR. Under older firmware, there was no way to directly access the cams without first setting up your computer network settings to be on the same IP range and then plugging it into the NVR.

New firmware (since June?) allows you to access the cameras directly by first connecting to the NVR web page, then going to a tab that lists all the cameras, and then clicking on the camera ( e icon ) and that will pop up a new webpage with the same IP address as the NVR, but a different port number. I have the 5216-16P (POE) from @EMPIRETECANDY and can access the individual camera with no issues. One thing to note (just found this out) is that when you add new cameras, the cameras will take the password of the NVR and will not be the default password. So initial setup is as simple as plugging it into the NVR and then connect per above. Then you can setup as you want. NO MESSING AROUND WITH NETWORK SETTINGS.

One item I noticed is that the port address does not seem to be active all the time (in other words, you can't bookmark that camera individually). The downside is that you can not use automated scripts to switch between day/night mode based on sunrise/sunset (why this isn't built in, I don't know?!?), you can't dynamically add text to the camera (temperature, wind, etc.), or anything that requires direct access.

I'm quite happy with the NVR as I don't have a loud fan, and it sits in my rack with all my other equipment. Would I do it differently again? Maybe, but I'm happy with the decision I made as it had a high approval factor with the Boss.

Last edited:

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@CJ555, I'm new to this game myself and recently set up five Dahua Starlights and a doorbell cam. I have very little networking knowledge and am not handy in the least bit. I was able run all my own cable (including terminating, adding weatherproof connections, etc.), mount and set up all cams, set up a managed POE switch, buy a PC, install and set up Blue Iris, and set up a VPN all just from research and asking a few questions here. I did have to watch a few YouTube videos on patching drywall and stucco though, lol. It seems like a pretty daunting task but if I can do it I know just about anyone can. I, like you, was considering going with a Dahua NVR for simplicity and to just keep things simple. After seeing the capabilities of Blue Iris and seeing all the recommendations for it, I ultimately decided to go that route. I'm very glad I did. There is definitely a learning curve to BI, but its pretty awesome software that I'm confident you'd be happy with. It also has a pretty awesome smartphone app. I ordered all my cams and junction boxes from Andy. I highly recommend doing business with him. His prices are great, he'll answer any questions and help you troubleshoot if need, and his shipping is FAST.

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I know I will possibly regret not doing BI for the start,...but I already talked to Andy and got some prices so I am going to place an order today. By the time my cameras and cable gets here and I actually run my cables, I could probably have researched the BI a little more and bought a dedicated PC and still gone that route,... but I just want hook everything up for a quick test run and get these up and installed ASAP.
Funny thing is after reading your post I was starting to contemplate BI again! LOL But my indecisiveness is starting to drive me crazy (as well as others I'm sure!),...and I just want to get this started so I am sticking to my guns. Plus if I wait then getting BI will give me something to do next winter break when my work slows down again!

But thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions, it really helped A LOT.
And be prepared cause I know I'm gonna get stuck somehow or another as soon as start configuring and setting up cams and my NVR! Especially when I try to tackle this VPN thing with my Comcast router/modem combo! :D But I will read through all these threads again to get a head start before I go bugging you guys, since I know there has already been some great advice given and ways to go about it. (just wish I understood it,...but I'm getting there!)

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I know I will possibly regret not doing BI for the start,...but I already talked to Andy and got some prices so I am going to place an order today. By the time my cameras and cable gets here and I actually run my cables, I could probably have researched the BI a little more and bought a dedicated PC and still gone that route,... but I just want hook everything up for a quick test run and get these up and installed ASAP.
Funny thing is after reading your post I was starting to contemplate BI again! LOL But my indecisiveness is starting to drive me crazy (as well as others I'm sure!),...and I just want to get this started so I am sticking to my guns. Plus if I wait then getting BI will give me something to do next winter break when my work slows down again!

But thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions, it really helped A LOT.
And be prepared cause I know I'm gonna get stuck somehow or another as soon as start configuring and setting up cams and my NVR! Especially when I try to tackle this VPN thing with my Comcast router/modem combo! :D But I will read through all these threads again to get a head start before I go bugging you guys, since I know there has already been some great advice given and ways to go about it. (just wish I understood it,...but I'm getting there!)
Are you going to record to an internal SD Card on the cams as well? Just wondering. If so you want to get high endurance SD cards and I've heard to stay away from Sandisk cards. If so I would install them first. Once you mount the cams it may be a PITA to install.

SkwatzForFood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you going to record to an internal SD Card on the cams as well? Just wondering. If so you want to get high endurance SD cards and I've heard to stay away from Sandisk cards. If so I would install them first. Once you mount the cams it may be a PITA to install.
This. I know the high performance Samsung cards are often recommended.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I was planning to add SD cards. And I probably would of gotten Sandisk so thanks for the heads up! Do you have the model# for the Samsung's? every little bit of research I can avoid will help. haha

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
CJ555,
You can do semi-remote viewing with your cell phone, using your home WiFi. For true-remote viewing, your system must be reachable over the internet. That remote viewing uses the cellular network.
I have both set up in gDMSS. Why? I use my phone to see hi res images of multiple cams using WiFi. When away from home, I view the lower res sub-feed to view multiple cams over cellular. Cellular is lower bandwidth then my WiFi, and due to my low Comcast upload speed of only ~6Mb

Point is: You can make quite a bit of progress before you do the whole VPN thing.

Fastb

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool. I'm sure I will be asking for tips again for Comcast and VPN issues. Obviously I have a few different options to weigh out. Just want to get the system up and running for now, even if I have to go without VPN for a week or 2. But I definitely want to use my phone as soon as they are up!

CJ555

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HAHA Yes it does. Nice to know I can use it "safely" while doing setup and placement,...but I feel safer having it as remote view when I'm not home as opposed to no VPN. At least for a "short" while until I get the VPN thing conquered. Bad idea? (I was just guessing some people never set up VPN so I figured week or so may not be bad?!!) But obviously it can get hacked whenever I suppose too so,....??!!