Considering Intel NUC 5 i7 (RYH) for BI Server - feedback?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
First, with my setup you can just as well, if you use a usb drive...what are you talking about??
Second and more importantly, why in the world would you need to do that?
Third, usb is a poor choice for video stream storage and playback.
Notice Fenderman say USB is a poor choice

- - - Updated - - -

Now lets have fun watching him explain

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Notice Fenderman talks about recording to USB
yes, because I was referencing YOUR setup -in your setup where you are using usb, there is no point in recording to ssd first. My point is that method is a poor choice. Please, some reading comprehension is in order.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Now you are making no sense at all.. If you hook up USB storage to any computer it can be removed.. This function is not exclusive to the nuc.. There is no distinction between refurb and new... Look do what you want.. It's your money.. But when someone asks for advice and states the price, I will give them proper guidance.. They are completely wasting money on the nuc.. You still have not listed a single tangible distinction.. Also note that the optiplex has advanced remote functions built I my into the bios not available on the nuc... Seems to me like you are trying to justify your poor purchase decision .. FYI, recording to USB is not preferred and given the option internal drives should be used.

Sent via Taptalk
EDIT: also if you are a stickler for new (wish is silly) and wish to pay more, here is a brand new unit from newegg for 529, still way cheaper than a nuc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Micro-Tower-Desktop-Intel-Core-i5-4590T-2-GHz-4th-Gen-4GB-/291288199465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d2213129
Here is an hp elitedesk mini for 420 NEW with 120gb ssd.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Desktop-Mini-J6D93UT-ABA-Work-HTPC-SSD-120GB-/121671025772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5428846c
Notice Fendermn says USB is not a good choice for recording

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Lets just admit NUC is a good choice cause you can run OS and BI on one SSD, record on a second SSD all in the little quiet package, and then store to a big USB3 drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets just admit NUC is a good choice cause you can run OS and BI on one SSD, record on a second SSD all in the little quiet package, and then store to a big USB3 drive.
Huh....my point is NUC is a poor choice...you simply do not know what you are talking about. Lets just admit that you are an amature and dont know what you are doing, ok?
Please do some research on this subject before you spew this nonsense...

klipmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score
I really like my i5 NUC to run Xprotect on, and I salivate over the idea of the new i7 NUC (I won't be getting one). However, I don't think I'd try to run Blue Iris on one due to the high resource usage. My NUC with it's 2gb HDD as reviewed by Carl is really completely silent. It's VERY small. Smaller than one of my 8 port Netgear PoE switches. The size has helped me hide it, and the silence and cool running helps it stay hidden.
It uses little electricity, and my electricity costs shed loads during the day on Economy 7. Depends how many years it runs for to determine if I get my money back on saved electricity cost.
The current 2gb 2.5 inch HDD is not really big enough for my 8 cameras, and I have had to compromise on how long I keep recordings for. Hopefully bigger 2.5 inch drives will be out soon. Record to USB drives?...uhm, nope. Network drives (my old Synology)...maybe. I hope bigger drives will be out before I have to go there.
The MJPEG thing depends on camera manufacturer. I know my Sony SNC-DH160 will do 1280*1024 in MJPEG and the newer models will do 1080p in MJPEG. My Lilin LR7022 will do 1080p in MJPEG too. Yes, MJPEG uses a LOT of storage and bandwidth. However, the picture really is that bit better (on my Sony at least).
I wouldn't mind one of the other little boxes mentioned above to play with. I'm sure it would be interesting. Certainly having less HDD constraints would be good. So long as everyone is happy with whatever box/system/software they are using good luck to them. I like reading about everyone's experience with their hardware...even if I think someone is talking crap about a particular issue. o(^.^)o
Ive followed this whole thread and I'm also considering the NUC5i7RYH, because I am assuming if you have the latest greatest chips (5th generation Intel Processor) i7-5557U running with Intel Iris 6100 graphics, 16GB of RAM and the SATA III SSD, that it would be suffice to run at least 8 HD Hikvision cams running at ~2 Mb/s. I also like the form factor, but I understand that it has a noisy fan which I assume would be running a lot in my situation. Currently I'm running Milestone XProtect GO on my Imac i5 with bootcamp on wifi-N, and it runs fine. It does hit the 100% cpu here and there especially when I view the live smart client. Maybe the mac's are built more efficient?? IDK, I just would like to find a dedicated PC/Server to run these cams and perhaps even run my plex server on it.
Any suggestions would be great for a newer pc around/under 1k that could handle this. Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive followed this whole thread and I'm also considering the NUC5i7RYH, because I am assuming if you have the latest greatest chips (5th generation Intel Processor) i7-5557U running with Intel Iris 6100 graphics, 16GB of RAM and the SATA III SSD, that it would be suffice to run at least 8 HD Hikvision cams running at ~2 Mb/s. I also like the form factor, but I understand that it has a noisy fan which I assume would be running a lot in my situation. Currently I'm running Milestone XProtect GO on my Imac i5 with bootcamp on wifi-N, and it runs fine. It does hit the 100% cpu here and there especially when I view the live smart client. Maybe the mac's are built more efficient?? IDK, I just would like to find a dedicated PC/Server to run these cams and perhaps even run my plex server on it.
Any suggestions would be great for a newer pc around/under 1k that could handle this. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum..While the processor is 5th gen, its a U processor and therefore pretty much equivalent to a haswell i3...ram is irrelevant as well as video...
The thread was specific to blue iris which uses lots of cpu power...so the mac is not more efficient its that xprotect is very efficient...you can probably run it on an i3 haswell with no problem...as mentioned in the thread, you can easily get an dell optiplex or hp elitedesk i5 haswell system for 300 or so..not need to spend 1k..

Git

Banned
Reaction score
One of the best sites to compare CPU's is Passmark's CPU Benchmark

The CPU in the NUC5i7RYH is a Core i7-5557U which scores a 4,950. Look at some of the other CPU's in that area, and you will see that an i3-4160 has a higher score!
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-5557U+@+3.10GHz&id=2502

There is a time and place for everything and unless you need an extremely small form factor - there are better options for you money...

I have had my NUC5i7RYH up and running for just over a week now and I am extremely pleased with it. Let me point out that I am not, and would not, use this for a BlueIris server. I am primarily using it as an 'all in one' pc. A NUC can be screwed on to the back of a monitor with the included bracket and with an old 500gb laptop drive along with a 256gb ssd drive - I have plenty of storage space. I can even (barely) play Battlefield 4 with it - and I do not hear any fan noise. One of the best parts, it only uses about 25 watts of power as measured by my Kill A Watt

klipmaniac

n3wb
Reaction score
One of the best sites to compare CPU's is Passmark's CPU Benchmark

The CPU in the NUC5i7RYH is a Core i7-5557U which scores a 4,950. Look at some of the other CPU's in that area, and you will see that an i3-4160 has a higher score!
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-5557U+@+3.10GHz&id=2502

There is a time and place for everything and unless you need an extremely small form factor - there are better options for you money...

I have had my NUC5i7RYH up and running for just over a week now and I am extremely pleased with it. Let me point out that I am not, and would not, use this for a BlueIris server. I am primarily using it as an 'all in one' pc. A NUC can be screwed on to the back of a monitor with the included bracket and with an old 500gb laptop drive along with a 256gb ssd drive - I have plenty of storage space. I can even (barely) play Battlefield 4 with it - and I do not hear any fan noise. One of the best parts, it only uses about 25 watts of power as measured by my Kill A Watt

From what Im reading here it sounds like BI is a CPU hog! ha! Like I said I'm using Milestone and apparently its a lot more efficient. I'm looking at the benchmark scores now! Im currently using a imac and it has a 4800 rating and its running Milestone and my plex fine with no issues, although its runs 80-100% cpu. Just looking to get a dedicated machine that is faster and more efficient than this iMac, and in a smaller form factor (and with hdmi out!). The NUC i7 has a slightly higher score than my iMac! I've looked at Dell, ASUS, and Alienware. Anyways, if you guys run across any deals or could suggest something, Id appreciate it! (and thanks to fenderman for the optiplex suggestions, I appreciate it). Thanks again for all the good feedback!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From what Im reading here it sounds like BI is a CPU hog! ha! Like I said I'm using Milestone and apparently its a lot more efficient. I'm looking at the benchmark scores now! Im currently using a imac and it has a 4800 rating and its running Milestone and my plex fine with no issues, although its runs 80-100% cpu. Just looking to get a dedicated machine that is faster and more efficient than this iMac, and in a smaller form factor (and with hdmi out!). The NUC i7 has a slightly higher score than my iMac! I've looked at Dell, ASUS, and Alienware. Anyways, if you guys run across any deals or could suggest something, Id appreciate it! (and thanks to fenderman for the optiplex suggestions, I appreciate it). Thanks again for all the good feedback!
Consider something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-USDT-Desktop-Core-i5-4570s-2-9GHz-4GB-320GB-2017-Warranty-/131539022509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea05632ad
Low power S processors and very powerful and cheap..this thing idles at about 15w...300 bux..cant complain..onsite warranty till 2017..not this USDT form factor only has a single 2.5 in drive slot...the SFF has more room..
As far a BI being a cpu hog, yes it is, but it offers more functionality and options than milestone essentials and is only 60 dollars total, not 50 dollars per camera, you seem to be running the free go version and if the limitations of the free version dont bother you then by all means stick with it.....Also milestone should not be consuming that much cpu on your system..what model i5? Are you running parallels?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
The NUC works, latest version of BI runs really nice and advice given against the NUC for BI might be because folks are basing these opinions on experiences with versions 2 or 3. Also Fenderman, thought very knowledgeable, likes recommending used hardware (not a fair comparision), and I don't think appreciates the NUC design, which is quiet, small and allows for two drives to be installed inside it. The NUC is no doubt a great design.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The NUC works, latest version of BI runs really nice and advice given against the NUC for BI might be because folks are basing these opinions on experiences with versions 2 or 3. Also Fenderman, thought very knowledgeable, likes recommending used hardware (not a fair comparision), and I don't think appreciates the NUC design, which is quiet, small and allows for two drives to be installed inside it. The NUC is no doubt a great design.
Its a one month "used" at most and most of the time its used for a day and then returned. ..with a three year next business day warranty. Please understand that the last poster is not using Blue iris and therefore requires different specs . Also your experience with blue iris is limited to using 8 vga cameras..please come back when you test blue iris with 8 3mp cameras and tell us how it works out on your NUC...as I have stated many times before, two SSD drives is a complete waste of money in blue iris pc...
The only reason to not wanting dell refurbished system that is being a snob....it has a three year next business day warranty!
Also if you dont mind consumer grades systems (i guess not because that is what the nuc is) then you can buy NEW systems for WAY less than the nuc...
fyi, the dell micro systems are actually thinner than the nuc...and slightly bigger in height an width.....I dont see the appeal if being able to put your NVR in your pocket..

Git

Banned
Reaction score

You just don't get it, lol

I can use a Corvette or Porsche to pull a horse trailer - but why would I?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious just how loud one of those high end NUCs is under constant heavy CPU load. There is no denying it is an attractive design. The only problem is it can't compete in cost-effectiveness versus a used or refurbished i5 machine.

Just for fun, lets compare the last ebay machine fenderman linked with a broadwell i7 NUC + comparable hard drive and memory and windows OS.

i7 NUCHP Elitedesk 800 G1
CPU Score49016678 (36% faster)
CPU Power Consumption<= 28 watts<= 65 watts
WarrantyNUC: 3yr
HDD: 2yr
RAM: lifetime
Complete system: ~20 months
Physical SizeNUC sizeApproximately 4x NUC size
Price$631 (103% higher)$310

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To add to what bp2008 said, the S processors in the usdt elitedesk idles at 15w and bumps to 35 or so under 50 percent loand.....if you want less power consumption the dell micros use T processors that max out in the low thirty's...dell outlet deals will come with full three year NBD warranties and top notch support. The micros are also very close to nuc size and are in fact thinner than some nuc's..

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
thnks for the laughs, I wouldn't pull a trailer with either unit that have been recommended. It all depends on the implementation, and tast. NUC is superior design, one benchmark that doesn't benchmark BI isn't the rite benchmark. I like the NUC and its new, not used.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
one has to wonder why are these non NUC units discontinued products.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thnks for the laughs, I wouldn't pull a trailer with either unit that have been recommended. It all depends on the implementation, and tast. NUC is superior design, one benchmark that doesn't benchmark BI isn't the rite benchmark. I like the NUC and its new, not used.
We have benchmarked BI....its called experience...your current nuc would choke if you had 3mp HD cameras...and the nuc your recommend would choke as well. I find it almost laughable that you keep calling these machines used as a derogatory term. Please tell me whats wrong with a used machine. Whats sad is that you spend all this money on an expensive NUC...but use cheap vga cameras....it should be the other way around...
EDIT: over the past 3 years I must have placed 60 "used" machines into service. All running smoothly except one consumer grade lenovo laptop that was running 24/7...NEVER had an issue with a desktop machine...40 of them run 24/7/.....20+ under load from blue iris. ZERO problems....Ive had more issues with "new" machines...