Considering Intel NUC 5 i7 (RYH) for BI Server - feedback?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
and 5 TB usb Drive
It still costs way more than the dell and is less powerful..we can agree that your build costs over 700 dollars without the drive or blue iris. Makes zero sense. The is no point in building your own system for blue iris or in fact for most other uses.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Do you have to take a shower?? Even a CA one would do.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
The NUC design is superior and it also has hot swap like feature to it.

Fenderman, why are you misleading us, your the admin

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfb&cs=28&puid=3b1f11c6

IT seems Dell OptiPlex is only offered used. Price with BI and USB drive will cost over $800 and its a used.
The NUC design is superior and it also has hot swap like feature to it.

Fenderman, why are you misleading us, your the admin
What? Its not 800, you need to wait for a sale. They have them monthly..they are not used, they are refubished, maybe a month or two old. Most are brand new and simply returns..Between blue iris machines and machines for my office and friends, i must have purchased 60, dell/hp machines via outlet or ebay. ALL are perfect.
HOT swap? what are you talking about. Pray tell, what you are going to hot swap out of a NUC. The nuc is not a superior design, not sure why you say that. The dell also has a 3 year next business day warranty. Tell me what you would do if your motherboard or power supply dies in the NUC..go buy a new one? Or wait for RMA?
I think you got things backwards here. You are the one misleading folks. Suggesting an ssd for one days data, using low end parts like transcend and suggesting a 700 dollar plus machine when these dell units can be had for 300 is insane. That nuc has no business being used as a blue iris server. If money is no object I have already indicated that there a better options than blue iris like avigilon with analytics. It also seems like you have no experience with blue iris or the load that high resolution cameras can put on the cpu, since apparently you are using cheap mpeg cameras...once you use hd cameras you will see the benefit in extra horsepower.
You have yet to provide a single benefit for the NUC over the other options but for saying that money is no object and that since you used to pay 3k for a machine this is no big deal.
Take for example this system...its selling for 625 on ebay..the person selling it likely picked it up for around 500 at the dell outlet sale. It destroys the nuc in every way...includes 256ssd and three year warranty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-9020-Micro-i7-4785T-Quad-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Win-8-1-Pro-/261915465866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfb60d88a
The i5's can be had for 300 when on sale.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Refurbished is the correct term. "Used" implies that nobody tested or cleaned it and that its condition is uncertain. But that is not the case. These have been tested, cleaned, and reinitialized by Dell. Though some are called "scratch and dent" indicating minor physical damage, many are "like new". The prices you find are not sale prices. When those are on sale, i5 systems are under $400 and i7 systems are under $500, and they (usually) come with 3 year warranties.

Edit: Curse these forums and their additional pages. LOL. Fenderman already said all this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Refurbished is the correct term. "Used" implies that nobody tested or cleaned it and that its condition is uncertain. But that is not the case. These have been tested, cleaned, and reinitialized by Dell. Though some are called "scratch and dent" indicating minor physical damage, many are "like new". The prices you find are not sale prices. When those are on sale, i5 systems are under $400 and i7 systems are under $500, and they (usually) come with 3 year warranties.

Edit: Curse these forums and their additional pages. LOL. Fenderman already said all this.
Cant hurt to reiterate it...Back in the day, refurbished used to mean 3-5 year old machines (and some independent refurbishers still do this). Dell outlet stuff with haswell, are usually simply returns from customers within the 30 day return period. They arrive clean and in mint condition - you cannot tell its refurbished but for the sticker. Back when haswell was released you could buy haswell from the outlet a few months later. If you look at the manufacture dates of the components you can see they are not old. For example, I have a dell 7020 optiplex that I purchased in December 2014 for my office, which I just opened (I had it laying around until i needed it) to swap in an ssd. The manufacture date on the hard drive was May 2014..Considering the time it takes for a newly manufactured drive to get installed, and storage time of the pc, both before sale and in the outlet, the machine was likely never used.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
The USB storage can removed from NUC design cause second SSD is doing live recording, sorry assumed too much. Refurb is not new. NUC is new. Anymore things?????

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
The USB storage can removed (swapped) from NUC design cause second SSD is doing live recording, sorry assumed too much. Refurb is not new. NUC is new. Anymore things?????

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Referb is used, even if its for a day. Of course companies can try to redefine it.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
On one hand you sound like you wouldn't purchase a "refurbished" computer because it has been USED and is somehow beneath you. (Personally, I don't have a problem with a refurb - if the price is right)

On the other hand, you buy the fastest NUC made and use the cheapest ram and memory..... Does that somehow make sense to you (because it doesn't to me)

Lastly - you asked for feedback, yet it appears you lash out at the feedback that you don't want to hear...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The USB storage can removed from NUC design cause second SSD is doing live recording, sorry assumed too much. Refurb is not new. NUC is new. Anymore things?????
Now you are making no sense at all.. If you hook up USB storage to any computer it can be removed.. This function is not exclusive to the nuc.. There is no distinction between refurb and new... Look do what you want.. It's your money.. But when someone asks for advice and states the price, I will give them proper guidance.. They are completely wasting money on the nuc.. You still have not listed a single tangible distinction.. Also note that the optiplex has advanced remote functions built I my into the bios not available on the nuc... Seems to me like you are trying to justify your poor purchase decision .. FYI, recording to USB is not preferred and given the option internal drives should be used.

Sent via Taptalk
EDIT: also if you are a stickler for new (wish is silly) and wish to pay more, here is a brand new unit from newegg for 529, still way cheaper than a nuc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Micro-Tower-Desktop-Intel-Core-i5-4590T-2-GHz-4th-Gen-4GB-/291288199465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d2213129
Here is an hp elitedesk mini for 420 NEW with 120gb ssd.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Desktop-Mini-J6D93UT-ABA-Work-HTPC-SSD-120GB-/121671025772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5428846c

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Now you are making no sense at all.. If you hook up USB storage to any computer it can be removed.. This function is not exclusive to the nuc.. There is no distinction between refurb and new... Look do what you want.. It's your money.. But when someone asks for advice and states the price, I will give them proper guidance.. They are completely wasting money on the nuc.. You still have not listed a single tangible distinction.. Also note that the optiplex has advanced remote functions built I my into the bios not available on the nuc... Seems to me like you are trying to justify your poor purchase decision .. FYI, recording to USB is not preferred and given the option internal drives should be used.

Sent via Taptalk
EDIT: also if you are a stickler for new (wish is silly) and wish to pay more, here is a brand new unit from newegg for 529, still way cheaper than a nuc. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Micro-Tower-Desktop-Intel-Core-i5-4590T-2-GHz-4th-Gen-4GB-/291288199465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d2213129
Here is an hp elitedesk mini for 420 NEW with 120gb ssd.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-G1-Desktop-Mini-J6D93UT-ABA-Work-HTPC-SSD-120GB-/121671025772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5428846c

In the NUC design you can remove USB drive and still be capturing video, with your setup you can't.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
On one hand you sound like you wouldn't purchase a "refurbished" computer because it has been USED and is somehow beneath you. (Personally, I don't have a problem with a refurb - if the price is right)

On the other hand, you buy the fastest NUC made and use the cheapest ram and memory..... Does that somehow make sense to you (because it doesn't to me)

Lastly - you asked for feedback, yet it appears you lash out at the feedback that you don't want to hear...
Didn't ask for feedback, just pointing out misleading feedback given too original poster, whose NUC layout I suggested using M2 SSD with 2.5 inch SSD. That's all.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not particularly wishing to extend this thread - but ...
cause second SSD is doing live recording
You really don't want to use an SSD for recording streaming video, even if only motion recording (think pre-event recording, ie continuous streaming), for a couple or more reasons.
Despite the modern wear-levelling controllers and somewhat improved write-cycle lifetime of the internal flash, continuous streaming is a great way to get an SSD quickly to its end-of-life.
You don't need the low latency of an SSD for streaming video because you have the streaming-optimised algorithms in video HDDs such as WD Purple, Seagate Surveillance etc which with their 100MB/s throughput are more than able to cope with a few 10s of Mbps from IP cameras.
What you don't need is the very much higher price per GB of an SSD when your recording history is going to be measured in multiple TB if you want to see what happened when you get back from vacation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the NUC design you can remove USB drive and still be capturing video, with your setup you can't.
First, with my setup you can just as well, if you use a usb drive...what are you talking about??
Second and more importantly, why in the world would you need to do that?
Third, usb is a poor choice for video stream storage and playback.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't ask for feedback, just pointing out misleading feedback given too original poster, whose NUC layout I suggested using M2 SSD with 2.5 inch SSD. That's all.
There was no misleading feedback given to op. Your setup is wasteful and silly. There is no benefit to using an ssd to record 1 days worth of video. Look, you admitted to only testing blue iris on a nuc with 8 mpeg cameras - most likely junk foscam or similar clones..that tells me that you have no experience with blue iris or network cameras. I can assure you that you dont have a clue as to a proper blue iris setup, I have over 20 blue iris machines running in various environments.
You can do as you wish, however, its obvious that you have no experience and are either 1) trolling or 2) so stubborn that you dont want to take advice from those who have more knowledge than you.