Considering Intel NUC 5 i7 (RYH) for BI Server - feedback?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
my NUC runs at about 4 watts with 9 cameras (640x480 at 5 fps)

- - - Updated - - -

think about it 4 watts

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, 4 watts is nice and all. My dad has an off-grid hunting cabin that we've been monitoring for years with atom netbooks (in fact now it uses a NUC for the low power consumption), but we moved past 640x480 all the way back when we were still using USB webcams to monitor the place!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
my NUC runs at about 4 watts with 9 cameras (640x480 at 5 fps)

- - - Updated - - -

think about it 4 watts
This proves my point! your nuc is only running vga cameras...thats why the load is so low...try it with HD cameras like we are using and it will choke..also if I recall correctly your nuc is way less powerful than the one you are recommending, what model are you using?
For your load, you can use an i3 dell micro for 250 dollars and it will draw under 10w…it would take your 50 years to recoup your savings..

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I said 640x480 5fps, many times

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not trying to unload equipment on ebay, guess why its being unloaded

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I looked at a recommendation, dell OptiPlex, on dell's web page, discontinued it said. so I don't check links, linked too (ha), with respect to that because they don't say it up front

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I just want it fair feedback (with smooth freq response), I feel lonely , shield up

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
one has to wonder why are these non NUC units discontinued products.
I said 640x480 5fps, many times

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not trying to unload equipment on ebay, guess why its being unloaded
Exactly you are using low res cameras at a super low frame and thats why you can use a low end processor like you have...you can do this on a 250 dollar optiplex micro and draw under 10w..easy...
You can buy direct from the dell outlet...ebay deals are mostly folks buying from the outlet then flipping for profit - you can tell by the amount off warranty left..its usually 35 months..because they had it for a month trying to sell it. Please understand that most of the systems at the outlet are simply returns made within the first 30 days of ownership..folks return machines for many reasons including finding a better deal or changing their minds..Like i said, i never had a problem. Thousands of others never had a problem. If these machines were so problematic do you think dell would provide a three year next business day warranty? Do you know how much it cost to fedex a part to a technician that have that person show up at your home or office the next day?
I looked at a recommendation, dell OptiPlex, on dell's web page, discontinued it said. so I don't check links, linked too (ha), with respect to that because they don't say it up front
Nothing is discontinued this is simply false.

I just want it fair feedback (with smooth freq response), I feel lonely , shield up
You are getting fair feedback...you are just resisting the facts..you are free to do so...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Whether a desktop PC is discontinued or not shouldn't even enter into consideration. Desktop PCs are built from standardized parts that last long after the vendor discontinues the product they were all packaged into. You can take a power supply from 7 years ago, combine it with RAM from 5 years ago, and put it into a motherboard from 3 years ago with a CPU from 6 months ago and use a graphics card released last week and put it all into a 15 year old ATX case.. No problem, assuming each of the parts still works. LOL.

wseaton

n3wb
Reaction score
Its a one month "used" at most and most of the time its used for a day and then returned. ..with a three year next business day warranty. Please understand that the last poster is not using Blue iris and therefore requires different specs . Also your experience with blue iris is limited to using 8 vga cameras..please come back when you test blue iris with 8 3mp cameras and tell us how it works out on your NUC...as I have stated many times before, two SSD drives is a complete waste of money in blue iris pc...
The only reason to not wanting dell refurbished system that is being a snob....it has a three year next business day warranty!
Also if you dont mind consumer grades systems (i guess not because that is what the nuc is) then you can buy NEW systems for WAY less than the nuc...
fyi, the dell micro systems are actually thinner than the nuc...and slightly bigger in height an width.....I dont see the appeal if being able to put your NVR in your pocket..
H264 encoding scales fairly linear on Intel systems assuming we aren't involving Quick Synch, which is a whole different arguement. The i7-5557U has a Sysmark of about of ~4900, which is pretty mediocre for an i7 system, and in that respect I agree with you given I don't see why anybody would want to buy an i7 level system that has the performance of a 5yr old i3. I've also never been a fan of micro form factor systems because they've screwed me over and over in point of sale installations. Smaller, in the respect of PC's doesn't mean better and it doesn't mean better power management either. Usually it means worse, and more screwing around trying to disable power saving modes.

An intel 5557U is therefore going to have a little less than half the encoding capacity of a i7 4790. Pretty basic math here. Haswell's improved H264 optimizations not with standing because they simply may not apply for all scenarios.

As long as you've rolled the math for SSD wear leveling it shouldn't make a difference. I woulnn't use SSD's for high density video recording because they aren't designed for long term write IOPs like magnetic spinners are, but for lightweight recording it's no big deal.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
H264 encoding scales fairly linear on Intel systems assuming we aren't involving Quick Synch, which is a whole different arguement. The i7-5557U has a Sysmark of about of ~4900, which is pretty mediocre for an i7 system, and in that respect I agree with you given I don't see why anybody would want to buy an i7 level system that has the performance of a 5yr old i3. I've also never been a fan of micro form factor systems because they've screwed me over and over in point of sale installations. Smaller, in the respect of PC's doesn't mean better and it doesn't mean better power management either. Usually it means worse, and more screwing around trying to disable power saving modes.

An intel 5557U is therefore going to have a little less than half the encoding capacity of a i7 4790. Pretty basic math here. Haswell's improved H264 optimizations not with standing because they simply may not apply for all scenarios.

As long as you've rolled the math for SSD wear leveling it shouldn't make a difference. I woulnn't use SSD's for high density video recording because they aren't designed for long term write IOPs like magnetic spinners are, but for lightweight recording it's no big deal.
If BI server goes in a data center or closet, then I would not get a NUC, but under a TV or in a study, its great if it can do the job. Presently my meesily little NUC i5 4250u is handling 9 cameras at 5% CPU. total dirct to disk video coming in to NUC's lan port is 12 Mbits/s, with up to 2Mbit/s per camera.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

as the mag spinners matured, the tape guys continued to use year old arguements and were slow to adjust.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
as the mag spinners matured, the tape guys continued to use year old arguements and were slow to adjust.
says the guy running 8 vga cameras at 5fps in 2015, then bragging only 5% cpu utilization:D...also out of curiosity are you displaying your BI server on a screen 24/7?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
says the guy running 8 vga cameras at 5fps in 2015, then bragging only 5% cpu utilization:D...also out of curiosity are you displaying your BI server on a screen 24/7?
I apologize you didn't understand my communication. I presented data such that VGA, 1meg, 2meg 3 meg, matter less as spec. .

1) BI server is receiving 12 Mbit/s total from wireless cameras via LAN on NUC
2) Max per camera is 2 Mbit/s
3) BI process is consuming 5%.
4) 9 cameras total

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I apologize you didn't understand my communication. I presented data such that VGA, 1meg, 2meg 3 meg, matter less as spec. .

1) BI server is receiving 12 Mbit/s total from wireless cameras via LAN on NUC
2) Max per camera is 2 Mbit/s
3) BI process is consuming 5%.
4) 9 cameras total
That is incorrect...the camera numbers matter very little, the throughput matters very little..even though yours is high because of MPEG...its ALL about the number of MP TOTAL AND FPS...If you put 8 3mp cameras on that system at 15fps, it would choke and be at 100 percent all the time and crash...displaying the cameras in realtime on the screen also adds load (about 10 percent cpu consumption on a modern i5/i7 haswell)..
My point was you call others slow to adjust when you are using vga cameras in 2015....spend less on the pc and buy decent cams...

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
frame rate, pizels, compression all combined give you the camera rate. so the data I presented was not misleading, its for reference . I gave both total data and max per camera, again not misleading its for reference.

my cameras cost less than 45, the nuc I'm using is a lesser unit than thread origionator talked about.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
frame rate, pizels, compression all combined give you the camera rate. so the data I presented was not misleading, its for reference . I gave both total data and max per camera, again not misleading its for reference.

my cameras cost less than 45, the nuc I'm using is a lesser unit than thread origionator talked about.
You are wrong...bitrate is ONLY dependent on the bitrate set in the camera...NOTHING else....5fps at vga quality and 30fps at 3mp can have the EXACT same bitrate. Furthermore, your claims are VERY misleading. Its not a reference if you dont disclose that they are vga cameras when you claim 5% cpu....What you should be saying is that if you only need vga quality AND only want 5fps then you can run blue iris on a low power nuc like you have....most people here are looking for a pc that can handle multiple hd cameras at 10-15fps on average...your numbers are useless to them and therefore it requires clarification...the fact that you paid 45 dollars for cheap mpeg vga cameras is irrelevant, i dont see why that matters at all...(fyi, in the future you can get 720p cameras for about 60, with poe and h.264..)