Consumers Need To Stop Buying Consumer-rated Junk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Fun Fact: Amazon has a glory hole. It can't stop, and it won't stop, because...its Amazon!

Reaction score
I can't tell you how many posts I've seen on Nextdoor talking about the "quality" and "security" of RING doorbells and so forth. Unfortunately, they are assumed to be secure imho, until they turn out not to be, and even then most the owners assume everything will be OK because Amazon is going to look out for them.

like:
Can anyone give me a recommendation on either Ring or Arlo. We are looking at the Ring with floodlights however we read it is difficult to replace bulbs. Appreciate any advice.
responses:
Ring has been great for us. I resisted one until we were gifted it, now I understand why it's so popular....
and:
Both are good security cameras , I....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note:

For those thinking it is completely the customer's fault:

There is a number of design and processes that Amazon / Ring could have done to minimize the impact...

1st - monitor attempts to login to multiple cameras from one IP with multiple user / password pairs. Unless the attacker is using an unique IP address for each attempt your SOC / NOC should have noticed something unusual was going on and have a chance to check and counter.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You are, of course, talking about them looking out for the consumer. That and Amazon are sort of antonyms...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't tell you how many posts I've seen on Nextdoor talking about the "quality" and "security" of RING doorbells and so forth. Unfortunately, they are assumed to be secure imho, until they turn out not to be, and even then most the owners assume everything will be OK because Amazon is going to look out for them.

like:
responses:
and:
I see the same type post's on my local nextdoor, I typically shut them down when I post a still from my front dr cam at 2am. Then include a link to here to study the cliff notes. Shut's them right up.

Last edited:

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
People don’t realize that when you search “best home camera system” your results are rigged by so called test sights that are there only to refer sales to amazon. It’s not hard to tell when the link they post to purchase goes directly to amazon and not the manufacturer of the item. This is exactly how I ended up purchasing the amcrest system I can’t wait to replace.

Reaction score
This is why i post my long greeting message. But it does not help. People are just Lazy. There is no planning for stupid.
I agree. Most folks that do not have security cameras, but desire them, do not really know why they want them. They do not really care about the purpose of those cameras. They think "Ok, I think I need cameras, but I do not know what I really need and do not want to research it. I just want to buy something and be done with it".

Case in point: Had door checkers come through the neighborhood one night which got into a few cars (not mine) and took stuff. I had good video of them and posted it on NextDoor and gave it to the police. A guy down the street was very interested in my cameras so he came by to talk to me about it. I showed him the cameras, the BI computer, the POE switches, and discussed camera placement. He really did not want to get that deep into it. He just wanted to buy something, plug it in, and be done. I explained to him that the Nest/Ring/Arlo stuff will never get you the images that I got at night that the police looked at and said "Yeah, I know those guys". I think he went with a couple of Arlos, one at the front door and one on the fence pointing at the driveway.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
People don’t realize that when you search “best home camera system” your results are rigged by so called test sights that are there only to refer sales to amazon.
but desire them, do not really know why they want them. They do not really care about the purpose of those cameras. They think "Ok, I think I need cameras, but I do not know what I really need and do not want to research it. I just want to buy something and be done with it".
He really did not want to get that deep into it. He just wanted to buy something, plug it in, and be done.
It's the age of advertising and an 'all in one solution'.
How many people look at the specs of a new phone and chose it. It's the IPhone 11, it must be best!
Subsequently; they're consumer aimed, easy setup and have integrations with other products.

If only the best cameras were the only available, Only high resolution and best low light capabilities. The only choice is the style of camera.
But that doesn't make it affordable, so lower spec cameras are available. Then they're like 'Look the cheapest cam, that'll do' *sticks 720p wifi camera above driveway to capture licence plates*.

And a quote above "do not want to research it", there's different markets to cameras. Their choice to buy crap.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I just wish there was a good "doorbell cam" that was ONVIF and BI compatible. I'd like to put in a small doorbell cam to add to my set of Dahua/Hikvision cameras, constantly recording to BI and also notifying me on my phone when someone rings the bell. It seems everything is cloud based crap in this use case.

I do have a Hik watching my door exterior space; it's a package-cam and bald-spot-cam. Would love something looking straight out from the doorjamb that would come in a small package.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey, I resemble that bald spot remark!

I've been following the RCA 3MP thread since the beginning. It looked hopeful at first but it's become apparent that it requires multiple different firmware updates and a lot of goo luck to get it working anything like an ONVIF/RSTP camera and even then reliability doesn't seem very good. The alternatives are just too amn expensive.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe because I jumped in relatively late in the RCA 3MP thread, but the EZVIZ version I got from Amazon about a month ago has been great. I did one firmware upgrade to add ONVIF, but that wasn't required ... I could have just as easily typed the RTSP string into Blue Iris manually using the stock firmware.

The only aspect of the camera I've run into that isn't 100% reliable for me is the built-in PIR detector sensitivity. Even set to "minimum" it will still sometimes detect a big truck driving by (road is 40ft away), so I disabled it. I have another porch camera that works great, so I have BI set to include the doorbell camera when the porch cam gets triggered.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of complaints about them dropping out after a few months and needing regular reboots or power downs to get them going again. Then they sometimes end up with the red ring of death.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just wish there was a good "doorbell cam" that was ONVIF and BI compatible. I'd like to put in a small doorbell cam to add to my set of Dahua/Hikvision cameras, constantly recording to BI and also notifying me on my phone when someone rings the bell. It seems everything is cloud based crap in this use case.

I do have a Hik watching my door exterior space; it's a package-cam and bald-spot-cam. Would love something looking straight out from the doorjamb that would come in a small package.
There has been for some time now.
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua MiniWedge.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
There has been for some time now.
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua MiniWedge.
It's not a doorbell as far as I can see. I want an actual video doorbell, with a pushbutton and so forth, preferably with two way audio.

Just for clarity, the video doorbell would be a minor addition to the camera setup. The benefit would be a straight-out view from the doorbell looking square in the face of anyone approaching the door, which I don't currently have. It would only be useful at close range of course. There are two other cameras that capture the general door/approach area (albeit from angles less advantageous for face ID); these cameras' main purposes are for package monitoring and (don't laugh) sighting down the street to keep an eye out for the schoolbus in addition to generally capturing views of anyone approaching the door or front windows. Other cameras capture other exterior areas of the house.

So, I want a camera that captures face view at the door, AND SERVES AS THE DOORBELL BUTTON FOR THE HOUSE (ding, dong!), while also sending an alert to the phone so I can interact with them via two way audio. Video/audio should be captured by BI. That's what I'm looking for.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I want a camera that captures face view at the door, AND SERVES AS THE DOORBELL BUTTON FOR THE HOUSE (ding, dong!), while also sending an alert to the phone so I can interact with them via two way audio. Video/audio should be captured by BI. That's what I'm looking for.
Consider a DHI-VTO2000A-S .