Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am debating between the 59225 and this camera. I can't find anywhere for sure if it has audio built in. It appears it does not but need to make sure. Have since found out that it does not.
I bought the 59225 along with the 49225 as my first cameras from Andy and they have both been fantastic. The major advantage of the 59225 is the auto tracking feature, which by the way can be very cool and a pain at the same time. I am Constantly playing with the settings and playing with the tracking. The 49225 on the other hand also has IVS minus the tracking and once setup has been working just fine I have emails and push setup, It logs my intrusions, tripwires etc. and I can instantly play them back. Pretty decent all the way around. I’m glad I did get both but the 49225 is a very nice camera.

stevep

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, have this camera for a week or so and wondering how easy is it to update firmware??? I have a unbranded NVR and camera with Poe can anyone help explain how to do this to a layman? Thanks Steve

Pmedicj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, have this camera for a week or so and wondering how easy is it to update firmware??? I have a unbranded NVR and camera with Poe can anyone help explain how to do this to a layman? Thanks Steve
The easiest way I have found is to go to the Dahua website, download the firmware, Unzip it, load it onto a USB, plug it into the NVR, perform the update and then do a reset on the camera and NVR for good measure.
If you bought your set up from Andy you should be good to go.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you are having issue's, if it's not broke don't fix it. It most likely has the latest firmware anyway.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
While I agree to that sentiment to an extent, sometimes new firmware adds highly desirable features, adds additional security, and fixes bugs. That being said, particularly it seems on these sorts of things, with all the different versions, hard to decrypt what firmware is for what devices, multiple firmware's of the same version for the same device, etc that caution is very important. Especially when dealing with devices when there might be a possibility that it is a China market device hacked with English text (in other words you got it for dirt cheap, way less than anyplace selling legitimate international or US specific models). On those there are very high odds that you will brick the device if you try to upgrade it to real English firmware.

I have over 20 years of IT experience in my past doing thousands of firmware updates and these are some of the most cryptic in trying to decipher versions, exactly what models a firmware is for, etc. Then again, on my NVR5216 I'm tickled that the latest firmware adds the ability to download footage in MP4 format. At the same time, that latest firmware also adds another new "feature" from Dahua, the NVR will now totally block and refuse to work with cheap cameras intended for the China market, those same ones I mentioned in the last paragraph... Does not bother me personally as I do not have any of those though.

I'd say, if you are not absolutely sure, then go with looney's advice and just do not even try. The odds are orders of magnitude higher that you might have a problem when upgrading the firmware if you try to than if you do not try to. ;) Just go look in the NVR firmware section...... a LOT of the posts are pretty much, "I bricked my device, HELP!"....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I agree to that sentiment to an extent, sometimes new firmware adds highly desirable features, adds additional security, and fixes bugs. That being said, particularly it seems on these sorts of things, with all the different versions, hard to decrypt what firmware is for what devices, multiple firmware's of the same version for the same device, etc that caution is very important. Especially when dealing with devices when there might be a possibility that it is a China market device hacked with English text (in other words you got it for dirt cheap, way less than anyplace selling legitimate international or US specific models). On those there are very high odds that you will brick the device if you try to upgrade it to real English firmware.

I have over 20 years of IT experience in my past doing thousands of firmware updates and these are some of the most cryptic in trying to decipher versions, exactly what models a firmware is for, etc. Then again, on my NVR5216 I'm tickled that the latest firmware adds the ability to download footage in MP4 format. At the same time, that latest firmware also adds another new "feature" from Dahua, the NVR will now totally block and refuse to work with cheap cameras intended for the China market, those same ones I mentioned in the last paragraph... Does not bother me personally as I do not have any of those though.

I'd say, if you are not absolutely sure, then go with looney's advice and just do not even try. The odds are orders of magnitude higher that you might have a problem when upgrading the firmware if you try to than if you do not try to. ;) Just go look in the NVR firmware section...... a LOT of the posts are pretty much, "I bricked my device, HELP!"....
It's not cryptic, you go to the devices sales page, and the firmware for that device is listed.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I only say its cryptic in that most do not have the extensive knowledge you do and might not know which of the firmware files to choose from on a given model. Many are not aware of the differences between NTSC and PAL for example (realistically that particular example does not make a huge difference unless you are upgrading an analog DVR). Its when someone goes to other sources like the Dahuawiki where a firmware might be zipped and have the individual partition files used only via TFTP with a terminal session, an update.img (used for one recovery method), an upallxxxxx.bin for another method, and finally the long filename with the version number.bin which is the regular one to use. That is where is can really get confusing for many. Most will try via the web interface though and fortunately for the most part Dahua is pretty solid about not bricking things and if you try to flash the wrong thing the devices will usually give an error message, reject the upload and reboot just fine. PS - I dont comment much but your reviews have helped me immensely in choosing certain cameras Looney! Excellent stuff... :)

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if your vpn'in into your network like you should no one should be accessing the camera so updating it is not really needed i have NOT updated mine and i have one of the first versions out there

Carver

n3wb
Reaction score
There is a "new" firmware V2.622.0000000.7.R.180404
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/6681 --> Download --> Firmware
Hello Jim_OS,

I don't wanna do something wrong with my expensive Cam while updating. Thus, some questions arise.
> Was the flashing of this (PAL) firmware successful? And if so...
> Did you a full Factory-Reset via WebUI before flashing?
> In which order of the two BINs did you flash?
> Have you saved the Cam-Config before flashing and restored it afterwards, or did you set up the cam again
step by step?
> And finally: is the annoying focus problem gone?

I got the Cam from Amazon here in Germany, sold by Dahua (before I found this great forum - sorry @Andy).
So I hope, its an international hardware version, not a chinese.

Best regards, Carver

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hello Jim_OS,

I don't wanna do something wrong with my expensive Cam while updating. Thus, some questions arise.
> Was the flashing of this (PAL) firmware successful? And if so...
> Did you a full Factory-Reset via WebUI before flashing?
> In which order of the two BINs did you flash?
> Have you saved the Cam-Config before flashing and restored it afterwards, or did you set up the cam again
step by step?
> And finally: is the annoying focus problem gone?

I got the Cam from Amazon here in Germany, sold by Dahua (before I found this great forum - sorry @Andy).
So I hope, its an international hardware version, not a chinese.

Best regards, Carver
The camera is original english, so can update without problem. No need do anything before updating, just make a default after you finish the upgrading, that is it.

Carver

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is original english, so can update without problem. No need do anything before updating, just make a default after you finish the upgrading, that is it.
Thank you :) The major hurdle to update has been cleared now.

Best regards, Carver

jaygen

n3wb
Reaction score
My SD49225T-HN seems to be stuck in B&W (night mode). I tried switch modes manually with no luck, any suggestions?

Gilean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All right, I have ordered more cameras from Andy and planned where to install them. I have quite a few sheds etc that block the view so planning took time... In addition to few turret cameras, I am going to install two PTZ's (SD49225T-HN) and I am wondering if my installation plans would work. Both cameras would use standard 90-angle wall mount.

PTZ 1 (above): I am planning to install it using only two bolts & nuts through that rafter. I have marked the white dots where I plan to drill through. The reason for this is because corner mount does not work in my case (vinyl siding has added later and there is no support for camera at right spot). The problem is that wall mount uses four bolts, but it's too big to fit there, so the bottom part would hang in the air. My question is, is it possible to install this PTZ securely using only two bolts? Or does that constant panning cause those nuts and bolts becoming loose after some time? I have planned to add a metal sheet between that corner mount and rafter, and that would be the same size as the wall mount bottom, so I could attach the bottom part to that sheet, that would make it a bit more secure, right?

PTZ 2 (above): This one I plan to install above the roof: I am going to attach a board in the middle of that white roofboard and then attach the PTZ to that board a bit above the roof (with standard 90 angle mount again), so I can get nice view around my yard. Pole mount and parapet mount was not suitable here after some planning. Again, I plan to attach a metal sheet to that wooden board because wooden board alone could break or rot. Would that work? Also, that way I could make the board a bit taller and make a small roof/cover above the camera to give it a small shelter from rain and snow and ice, although Andy says this camera would survive harsh weather...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1- Should be fine, be sure to use lock washers, and flat washers under the nut.
2-That board looks like it is not very sound. Maybe a tri-pod on the roof with a short mast instead.

You need to take a gallon of paint and a brush up with you as well. ;)

Gilean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1- Should be fine, be sure to use lock washers, and flat washers under the nut.
2-That board looks like it is not very sound. Maybe a tri-pod on the roof with a short mast instead.

You need to take a gallon of paint and a brush up with you as well. ;)
You are right, it's not very sound, but I think bolts trough it (there is an empty space behind it) would hold. I have meant to paint that shed many times but... :D

Tri-pod on the roof with a short mast sounds interesting, not sure how to attach it to camera though (and that would mean drilling trough the roof I suppose, and that is always risky). Have you seen cheaper DYI versions of what you have in mind, as Dahua's parapet mount is a bit too expensive... :)

btonbadger

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

New poster, came across this forum whilst researching the dh-sd49225t-hn. Was wondering if anyone had used it successfully with Synology's Surveillance software? I've got an existing setup which I am happy with and I'd like to add this camera to offer PTZ. There's wide ranging support for Dahua's cameras within the Synology software but their official website doesn't list it... Surveillance Station IP Camera Support List | Synology Inc.

Availability of other models seems lacking or over my budget so I'm hoping this one might actually work anyhow - how different would the protocol actually be to other Dahua's offering ONVIF/PSIA/CGI? I don't want to risk it without real world confirmation though, so I'd welcome your input or suggestions for similar cameras that I could add?

Cheers

BtonBadger

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are right, it's not very sound, but I think bolts trough it (there is an empty space behind it) would hold. I have meant to paint that shed many times but... :D

Tri-pod on the roof with a short mast sounds interesting, not sure how to attach it to camera though (and that would mean drilling trough the roof I suppose, and that is always risky). Have you seen cheaper DYI versions of what you have in mind, as Dahua's parapet mount is a bit too expensive... :)
Mine:
20170324_164413 (1).jpg

Gilean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's what I thought you meant Looney. Nice setup! Although looks like it uses that standard pole mount that I thought a bit too big :) Meanwhile, I have "ordered" a custom-made metal sheet from my father that has welding machine and metal tools, and that's what I am going to use with this camera installation :) It has two sheets welded together in a way that the upper part forms a roof: it helps a bit from rain and snow and ice. Basically it looks like number 1 when looked from the side :) The bottom part (that I will attach to those roof boards AND where I attach the camera) is about as wide as the camera's wall mount, and the top part that acts as a roof, is a bit wider. I guess I'll see within a couple of weeks when they visit me, if I got what I ordered or not :)

fhfh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi btonbadger
I have a sd49225t and only "stream" and "zoom" works on a synologie with surveillance station version 8.2.0.5717.
The functions pan and turn doesn't work. The driver ist onvif.
Do you have some success in the meanwhile?