Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
what do you need a wiper for? installing it ontop of a skyscraper or something?
Not exactly what I'd call a skyscraper, but on a roof several stories high to use as a weather/nature cam. I've got an older non-wiper one there now for this purpose, but I'm in the tropics where we get daily thunderstorms with wind-driven rain each summer afternoon...All I see most every summer afternoons is big splotches of water drops....and with the high humidity, it usually takes several hours after a downpour for it to dry.

Perhaps being a speed dome, there would be a work around to knock the drops off, like pointing it straight down and spinning/shaking it around very fast a few times to let gravity and other forces of motion physics shake off the drops. (Hey, it works in the bathroom when I take a piss ; Same basic idea :D)....Still would be simpler having a wiper.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not exactly what I'd call a skyscraper, but on a roof several stories high to use as a weather/nature cam. I've got an older non-wiper one there now for this purpose, but I'm in the tropics where we get daily thunderstorms with wind-driven rain each summer afternoon...All I see most every summer afternoons is big splotches of water drops....and with the high humidity, it usually takes several hours after a downpour for it to dry.

Perhaps being a speed dome, there would be a work around to knock the drops off, like pointing it straight down and spinning/shaking it around very fast a few times to let gravity and other forces of motion physics shake off the drops. (Hey, it works in the bathroom when I take a piss ; Same basic idea :D)....Still would be simpler having a wiper.
Is your current camera a Dome or a turret? These turrets are much less of an issue with that than domes; My Black Face PTZ been several stories up for almost 3 years and Ive never had to clean the lens.

The only Dahua PTZ's w/Wipers are the Ultra Level that cost ~$1300USD+.. Perhaps some RainX on the glass lens cover will provide you some relief.. it should reduce surface tension enough that the PTZ can shake its dick as you described.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i was playing around with the ptz in nite and color mode i first thought it was a person with flash light or car head lights
the power of the IR's on and off

IR on.jpg
IR OFF.jpg

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
will get 20pcs next Thursday, just put 10pcs on the aliexpress, if any guy can pay there just make the order there, will hold 10pcs for those who can't use the aliexpress.LOL
I tried to order this camera, but it did not like my credit card. I just opened up a paypal account, but when I try to check out in aliexpress there is no option for paypal.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for paypal you'll have to arrange your order through the conversation feature on this forum.. click here -> @EMPIRETECANDY then click Start a Conversation.. He'll send you an invoice via email you can pay w/Paypal

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
PayPal is the shit and it was my understanding that it's cheaper and easier for Andy so I'd think he would favor it and it gives us Americans more protection then AliExpress, win win.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you
for paypal you'll have to arrange your order through the conversation feature on this forum.. click here -> @EMPIRETECANDY then click Start a Conversation.. He'll send you an invoice via email you can pay w/Paypal
I read Andy's msg that was posted at 1109 today and he said he put 10 of these on Aliexpress. From Andy:

"if any guy can pay there just make the order there, will hold 10pcs for those who can't use the aliexpress.LOL" I used aliexpress before, but it does not take my credit card. And there was no option for paypal. It asks me for more documentation which I'm not going to provide.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PayPal is the shit and it was my understanding that it's cheaper and easier for Andy so I'd think he would favor it and it gives us Americans more protection then AliExpress, win win.
until you have so many orders keeping track of everyone via email/pm starts to become comebersom, an eCommerse store does alot of that work for you.. tracking whats been delivered, whats been backordered, who's paid and who has outstanding invoices, and making sure nobody gets ignored/forgotten.. when you got a forum inbox with hundreds of conversations going on, its gona suck.. dunno how Andy keeps it all straight, i'd be droping balls left and right trying to Juggle like that.

Its largely a win for us; not so much of a Win for Andy with the extra work involved.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
until you have so many orders keeping track of everyone via email/pm starts to become comebersom, an eCommerse store does alot of that work for you.. tracking whats been delivered, whats been backordered, who's paid and who has outstanding invoices, and making sure nobody gets ignored/forgotten.. when you got a forum inbox with hundreds of conversations going on, its gona suck.. dunno how Andy keeps it all straight, i'd be droping balls left and right trying to Juggle like that.

Its largely a win for us; not so much of a Win for Andy with the extra work involved.
Maybe he has a system he enters them into

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is your current camera a Dome or a turret? These turrets are much less of an issue with that than domes; My Black Face PTZ been several stories up for almost 3 years and Ive never had to clean the lens.

The only Dahua PTZ's w/Wipers are the Ultra Level that cost ~$1300USD+.. Perhaps some RainX on the glass lens cover will provide you some relief.. it should reduce surface tension enough that the PTZ can shake its dick as you described.
Current one is the turret/flat lens face kind, not an actual glass dome..Of course it stays pointed a bit above the horizon to see the sky conditions, which means even the slightest blowing rain is going to land on the lens.

What does your PTZ do in a heavy blowing rain? I'm assuming it's not sheltered from rain. When it gets wet, does the rain just roll off immediately or do you ever have droplets on the picture that take an hour or so to dry?

I tried RainX on a fixed cam before and it seemed to do worse...Fewer drops on the lens, but the drops it did have were larger and distorted a greater portion of the image. Although with it being fixed, there was no way to try shaking the drops off to see if that made it easier or not.

Just seems ridiculous to pay $1300 for a wiper cam when it's $300 for one without. It's not worth paying a thousand bucks extra for a little 2 inch piece of plastic that sweeps back and forth. Adding a wiper should cost no more than a couple dollars retail.