Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you get more than a wiper for the money, they are either big sensor 4K or big sensor starlight cameras with Laser IR and zoom optics much more powerful than the $350 Lite Models.

Wipers are premium features, your not going to find them on economy cameras trying to be affordable.. just the way it is, a wiper blade might be cheap but motors and reversing gearsets dont come for free.. Cheap PTZ's suffer from significantly higher failure rates, slapping a cheap ass wiper on it might make you happy until the thing breaks when it drops below freezing and gets jammed and takes the whole circuitboard with it.

When it rains, the camera dries out and keeps on going.. mine's not a webcam though, its a security camera and luckily when its raining people dont seem to be out trying to steal shit... but im high Altitude and its rather dry, so evaporation happens much faster here for me than you I suspect.. When it blizzards I park it looking straight down, cuz I cant see shit anyhow.

Last edited:

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a hikvision 5220 high up the wall, and that gets rain and snow, but as the focal lenght is longer it is hardly noticable, and i see no rain drops running over the lens. I have a turret lower (4mm) and that is pointed down, also not much issues there.
Only the mini dome (2.8 mm) i have monted flat to the wall has major issues. So that was a one time solution for me..

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The camera industry disagrees with you.
I'm talking about actual cost to build, not how much manufacturers think it's worth.

you get more than a wiper for the money, they are either big sensor 4K or big sensor starlight cameras with Laser IR and zoom optics much more powerful than the $350 Lite Models.
True, but I'm just referring to my purposes...If someone needed a 4K and a laser IR, etc, then they'll get that with the premium models...but since I don't need those things, then for my specific situation, the sensor, resolution, lighting and optics of the $350 is all I need...So I'd be paying $1000 extra and the only "needed" benefit I'd be receiving is the wiper. Almost like paying a fortune for a car insurance policy that will cover your car for $100,000 when the car is only worth $2000 dollars because this policy covers flood damage when the cheaper insurance doesn't. Sure, you get more coverage, but you'd never need that amount of coverage. You'd just want to pay a little extra for $5000 coverage that includes flood damage. Maybe not the best analogy, but you get the point.

Wipers are premium features, your not going to find them on economy cameras trying to be affordable.. just the way it is, a wiper blade might be cheap but motors and reversing gearsets dont come for free.. Cheap PTZ's suffer from significantly higher failure rates, slapping a cheap ass wiper on it might make you happy until the thing breaks when it drops below freezing and gets jammed and takes the whole circuitboard with it.
Point taken, but even if it wasn't a "cheap wiper" I'd be happy...Heck, I'd pay $500 for that $350 unit if it had a wiper...I'm sure for that extra $150 bucks, a high quality wiper could be added that wouldn't crap out the first time it hits freezing.

When it rains, the camera dries out and keeps on going.. mine's not a webcam though, its a security camera and luckily when its raining people dont seem to be out trying to steal shit... but im high Altitude and its rather dry, so evaporation happens much faster here for me than you I suspect.. When it blizzards I park it looking straight down, cuz I cant see shit anyhow.
I guess ordinarily for most people's purposes (security cam), it really wouldn't be that big of a deal to have splotches on the picture for an hour or two when it rains. When using it for a weather cam though, it's a lot more important because during stormy weather is when the cam is most used and a clear picture is most needed. Some of the best captures from weather cams is during or right after a big storm. Say a heavy storm passes, the rain ends and you suddenly have a huge funnel cloud on the back side of the storm or a big lightning strike hits a tree and blows the shit out of it like it was blasted by an atomic bomb...Would really blow if that happened and yet all you got on your "weather cam" was a screen of water drops blocking the view. The chances of that happening are too low to invest an extra grand in the camera, but I'd certainly gamble a hundred or so extra for that benefit.

I have a hikvision 5220 high up the wall, and that gets rain and snow, but as the focal lenght is longer it is hardly noticable, and i see no rain drops running over the lens. I have a turret lower (4mm) and that is pointed down, also not much issues there.
Only the mini dome (2.8 mm) i have monted flat to the wall has major issues. So that was a one time solution for me..
Interesting..The design of that Hik model looks kinda similar to the Dahua 25X (unless Google Images is not giving a picture of the correct model)..Thanks for the input. Maybe this Dahua would work fine even without the wiper. Almost tempted to order one and try it in my back yard during a storm. Worst case, if the drops are too much to use as a weather cam, guess I could always ebay it as a gently used...Probably could sell a gently used shipped from the USA for about the same price as a brand new one from China, so probably wouldn't lose too much money by trying it out.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
will get 20pcs next Thursday, just put 10pcs on the aliexpress, if any guy can pay there just make the order there, will hold 10pcs for those who can't use the aliexpress.LOL
Andy, I was able to get through aliexpress and order and pay for the camera with my credit card. It took over 10 tries but it finally worked. I had to cancel about 10 orders for the camera on aliexpress. Thanks for your help.

drlovety

n3wb
Reaction score
It took me many attempts with aliexpress as well. once i got my fraud detection email from my CC company and approved the purchase, it took me several more times. What worked for me was coping my address exactly as what my CC company had on file.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It took me many attempts with aliexpress as well. once i got my fraud detection email from my CC company and approved the purchase, it took me several more times. What worked for me was coping my address exactly as what my CC company had on file.
Did you have to cancel any orders. For me every attempt was logged in as a purchase waiting for funds. I had to cancel about 10 orders.

drlovety

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you have to cancel any orders. For me every attempt was logged in as a purchase waiting for funds. I had to cancel about 10 orders.
No, I made one order and the order said, "Waiting for payment" I had to click on waiting for payment multiple times (which took me to a credit card page) before it was successful. It was like ebay, I confirmed I wanted the item, but had two days to pay before the item was canceled. I have to try multiple times to pay for the item. Strange that you had to cancel and reorder the item.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm talking about actual cost to build, not how much manufacturers think it's worth.

True, but I'm just referring to my purposes...If someone needed a 4K and a laser IR, etc, then they'll get that with the premium models...but since I don't need those things, then for my specific situation, the sensor, resolution, lighting and optics of the $350 is all I need...So I'd be paying $1000 extra and the only "needed" benefit I'd be receiving is the wiper. Almost like paying a fortune for a car insurance policy that will cover your car for $100,000 when the car is only worth $2000 dollars because this policy covers flood damage when the cheaper insurance doesn't. Sure, you get more coverage, but you'd never need that amount of coverage. You'd just want to pay a little extra for $5000 coverage that includes flood damage. Maybe not the best analogy, but you get the point.

Point taken, but even if it wasn't a "cheap wiper" I'd be happy...Heck, I'd pay $500 for that $350 unit if it had a wiper...I'm sure for that extra $150 bucks, a high quality wiper could be added that wouldn't crap out the first time it hits freezing.

I guess ordinarily for most people's purposes (security cam), it really wouldn't be that big of a deal to have splotches on the picture for an hour or two when it rains. When using it for a weather cam though, it's a lot more important because during stormy weather is when the cam is most used and a clear picture is most needed. Some of the best captures from weather cams is during or right after a big storm. Say a heavy storm passes, the rain ends and you suddenly have a huge funnel cloud on the back side of the storm or a big lightning strike hits a tree and blows the shit out of it like it was blasted by an atomic bomb...Would really blow if that happened and yet all you got on your "weather cam" was a screen of water drops blocking the view. The chances of that happening are too low to invest an extra grand in the camera, but I'd certainly gamble a hundred or so extra for that benefit.

Interesting..The design of that Hik model looks kinda similar to the Dahua 25X (unless Google Images is not giving a picture of the correct model)..Thanks for the input. Maybe this Dahua would work fine even without the wiper. Almost tempted to order one and try it in my back yard during a storm. Worst case, if the drops are too much to use as a weather cam, guess I could always ebay it as a gently used...Probably could sell a gently used shipped from the USA for about the same price as a brand new one from China, so probably wouldn't lose too much money by trying it out.
I don't see how any camera is going to be different when it comes to rain hitting the front of it. put some sort of cover over the top of where it's mounted, if it rains sideways, you're screwed, I don't think any camera is going to magically handle rain on the lens any different than any other. if its mounted up a little high rig up a long pole with a microfiber cloth on the end or something to walk out and wipe it off.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Given Russia Bought and paid for this president; im sure China can get in on the friends and family plan.. He'd be tearing down walls if Mexico was ran by a Communist Dictator.

but I digress; this is not an appropriate form for political discourse.. we have the streets for that.
Seems like it's going to be a long 8 years for you.

Reactions: Lex

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried to buy one of these cameras today but aliexpress refused to take any of my credit cards. The silly tech support chat person was talking about having to enter a billing address and how only US, UK and Canada are supported countries. Then when it go too difficult they told me to contact the bank.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tried to buy one of these cameras today but aliexpress refused to take any of my credit cards. The silly tech support chat person was talking about having to enter a billing address and how only US, UK and Canada are supported countries. Then when it go too difficult they told me to contact the bank.
you might need to call the CC company and tell them you are about to place a order and to not block it

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried that, and wouldn't you know it, they told me they couldn't even see the CC transaction hitting their computers I even tried to pay when I was on the phone to them. It appears Aliexpress isn't even sending it to the bank for authorisation. They think the site might be broken and to try again later. Meh.

ldasilva

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if it still doesnt work messange EMPIRETECANDY and he can set you up with a paypal invoice
and send you the camera

Reaction score
Tried that, and wouldn't you know it, they told me they couldn't even see the CC transaction hitting their computers I even tried to pay when I was on the phone to them. It appears Aliexpress isn't even sending it to the bank for authorisation. They think the site might be broken and to try again later. Meh.
I used a VISA card today, and had very little trouble. It did fail the first time. All I did was call my credit card bank and found they did know I had tried to make a purchase, and what the dollar amount was. To 'authorize' the transaction I responded to the security questions asked with correct answers and that was all that was needed. From that point, I went through the payment process again on AliExpress and the transaction was accepted.

Had I waited for the email notification from the bank, advising someone was trying to make a foreign purchase via the web/mail/phone, I could have saved some time. On the email, all that was needed was to click 'yes' to authorize the transaction.

Bottom line, just call your credit card company.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used a VISA card today, and had very little trouble. It did fail the first time. All I did was call my credit card bank and found they did know I had tried to make a purchase, and what the dollar amount was. To 'authorize' the transaction I responded to the security questions asked with correct answers and that was all that was needed. From that point, I went through the payment process again on AliExpress and the transaction was accepted.

Had I waited for the email notification from the bank, advising someone was trying to make a foreign purchase via the web/mail/phone, I could have saved some time. On the email, all that was needed was to click 'yes' to authorize the transaction.

Bottom line, just call your credit card company.
what bank?

Zeddy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've purchased things before on Ali without a problem, with the same CC as well, just nothing of this high a value.