Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need some help in troubleshooting my camera please :)

It was all working fine when I went into hospital last week for some surgery, however when I was in there it stopped working - all the other cameras are working fine. I'm using a D-Link DGS-1100-24p switch connected toy my desktop PC running the latest version of Blue Iris.

Now that I'm back home and I've recovered enough I've started trying to troubleshoot what's up without any luck. The camera is not being recognized at all on the network (doesn't show in SADP)

So far I've tried the following:
- Unplugged the camera from the switch and let it sit for a while before plugging it back in
- Tried the camera in a different PoE port (swapped it into a port that has another IP camera that is working fine)
- Replaced the CAT cable connecting the camera to the switch (before swapping over the CAT cable I ensured the new CAT cable was working fine using a spare PTZ I have floating around (Huisun PTZ)
- Unplugged all the other cameras from the switch except the one I'm trying to get working - still no luck

When I was in the roof cavity and plugged in the new CAT cable to the PTZ camera, I could hear signs of life coming from the camera outside and I thought the problem was now fixed and that it was due to a faulty CAT cable, however this was not the case.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Giving one of these a try. It arrived today. Guess I need to study the manual a little more which may answer some questions but deciphering the English is proving to be a tough challenge in spots...Then after reading the "do not clean with gasoline" part, I had to take a break to rub my head. lol. Just ruins my plans, I was just getting ready to go to the Exxon station and get a gallon of fuel to clean the lens! o_O Maybe someone has some quick info to save me some frustration...

1. The metal wire/strap coming out of the white part of the unit. I'm assuming this is for grounding?

2. Noticed there's 2 rubber gaskets in a packet that are shaped similar to a slice of bread. Any idea where these go? First glance around the unit and I don't see any obvious seals where this would fit on.
I just got mine delivered today (SD49225T-HN). So far I'm loving it and it's just perched in my living room.

I figured (and nayr confirmed) the cable sticking out is a lanyard to attach to the bracket arm... you'll see a place there to attach that. I guess that's in case you're loosening the 3 screws that attach the camera housing to the bracket and weren't hanging on too well.

I also thought there were *two* rubber gaskets but in fact it's just *one* gasket, kind of twisted to save space. It fits on the back of the bracket to help with moisture intrusion when you screw this thing to a wall. Kind of nice really.

I had ZERO problems getting mine setup on my network. I just plugged it into my net with a POE+ injector, used the Dahua config tool which found it (and my other Dahua cams). From there I could set the IP address to something on my actual network (it does this using a little network discovery "trick" and really makes life easier... do yourself a favor, use the config tool!)

And MANY thanks to EmpireTecAndy for the super fast shipping. That thing took of from Hong Kong and was at my door in a day... blows me away to get it that far, that fast. These modern times we live in...

DHL messaged me ahead of time to let me know it was being delivered today, and good thing since it was a "signature required". But the text had a link that took me to DHL where I could electronically sign for it (basically a waiver to let them leave it at the location you pick...front door, back door, etc). Just be aware you have that option (and have your other security cameras pointing at your front door so your new camera isn't stolen) :)

Now for a non snow/rain day so I can swap this out for my Reolink RLC-423... can't wait. I'd do it tomorrow if the ladder wouldn't slip right out from under me. I may take the chance anyway. LOL

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks!

DHL called and told me I had to sign for the package...However, the driver just stuck it on my porch and took off. I didn't sign online either. They either made a mistake or the driver decided to sign for me...

Anyway, I've got the mounting arm put on...Turning those 3 screws was a little tough. Thing was tighter than a nun's front door...(yes, I realize I'm going to hell for that statement. lol)...

Now I've made my temporary "poor man's mount"...Check it out...Used the shipping box the cam came in, left the foam packing material inside, stuck long nails through the side of the box (shoving them into the packing foam inside the box) and it's holding great! :D

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need some help in troubleshooting my camera please :)
Update on above - I just pulled the camera down and I've got it temporarily mounted in my garage attached to some shelving. Plugged it in using another length of spare CAT cable and the bloody thing is working.

But now I've discovered another issue - I can't move the camera using Blue Iris (PTZ or any of the presets) - I can through the internet browser though.

I'm using the same settings as before on the PTZ/Control tab in Blue Iris - anyone care to show me what settings they've got in theirs or shed some light on why i might be having issues?

When I first got the camera I couldn't get the presets working in Blue Iris but due to the experts on this website you soon let me know that I needed to set them through the browser. Even when I had this issue however, I could still move the camera (PTZ) in Blue Iris, so I don't know why I can't now.....please help - it's doing my head in :confused:

Last edited:

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
please help - it's doing my head in
All sorted ......I don't know what it was that fixed it but it's all working now. Fingers crossed it all works once I've mounted it back up outside

Final update: When mounting it back up outside, I had my phone with me to view the live stream using the Blue Iris app. The connection was lost when feeding the cable back into the roof space, so the camera must have a faulty/loose wire in it somewhere.

Also with the PTZ controls in Blue Iris, the left/right/up/down all work, but not the diagonal movements???? Also the camera seems to move much further for each press of the left/right/up/down buttons compared to previously???? Very strange

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have the HN model, in BI under the cams properties go video/configure/ and click Find/inspect button. Then go to your PTZ/CONTROL tab and confirm you have ONVIF (OXML) selected as the protocol . Then ALL your arrows will work, even the Diagonal ones. NOTE: you must have ONVIF enabled in your cameras web UI.

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have the HN model, in BI under the cams properties go video/configure/ and click Find/inspect button. Then go to your PTZ/CONTROL tab and confirm you have ONVIF (OXML) selected as the protocol . Then ALL your arrows will work, even the Diagonal ones. NOTE: you must have ONVIF enabled in your cameras web UI.
You legend.....thanks.

I have the HN model. I had already done everything you mentioned above, but for whatever reason going back into it again via BI and selecting 'Find/Inspect' again fixed the problem.

Semper Gumby

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, now my diagonals work!

kheiney

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got mine up and running. Trying it out as a LPR cam currently and it's working well. But for some reason I'm not getting very good motion triggering for recording on Milestone. At night it only seems to trigger like 20% of the time. You can see my old Hik2032(12mm lens) on the bottom and new PTZ up top. Still needs some tuning. Running shutter at 1/750 Gain 0-20

Attachments

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Ordered my camera from Empire on Thursday afternoon. It was delivered yesterday at noon (San Francisco Bay Area). Had it up and running in a couple of hours. Still learning all the different camera settings. Here is a picture of the view from the camera. Image quality is very good from the camera. I have made a couple of minor adjustments from the camera default settings.

Cam26.20170301_104656.jpg

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Ordered my camera from Empire on Thursday afternoon. It was delivered yesterday at noon (San Francisco Bay Area). Had it up and running in a couple of hours. Still learning all the different camera settings. Here is a picture of the view from the camera. Image quality is very good from the camera. I have made a couple of minor adjustments from the camera default settings.

View attachment 15700
Beautiful View....you need the 30X :)

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This forum is awesome. Have learned so much and am ready to blow some big moolah with Andy. Thanks for all the info everyone is posting. Keep it coming! So much to read!

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

View attachment 15700
Looks nice! Would love to see some more examples

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Still haven't tried mine outside yet, but a few initial observations and questions...

1. There seems to be more upward tilt than the specs indicate. The specs say -15 degrees, but mine keeps going to -20 degrees. Definitely a plus. Not sure if this is a misprint in the specs or if there's something strange going on with mine...Either way, it's a plus because upward tilt was important to me and the more the better! Does anyone else's go to -20?

2. The config tool helped me set the IP to match my network...The first few times I tried, it gave an error "failed to modify", but after a couple tries, it suddenly accepted. Much easier than having to change my computer's IP to gain initial access.

3. Web interface seems easy enough to get the hang of. Takes a little trial and error, but I'm catching on fast.

4. The exposure setting seems to be a little buggy. When changing shutter speeds and other exposure parameters, sometimes it will take a few minutes for the cam to adjust...Sometimes in manual mode, it seems it's still wanting to auto adjust the exposure to some degree (ie. if the scene is bright, it sometimes tries to darken, despite having exposure manually set and all backlight features off)...Also while adjusting one time, I suddenly lost a lot of exposure options. While it's supposed to be "manual, auto, gain priority, shutter priority and aperture/iris priority", suddenly all the "priority" modes went away and my only options were "auto" and "manual" and it would now allow a shutter speed lower than 1/30 second....Had to mess with it a while, but eventually I clicked the "default" button which somehow restored the ability to select gain, iris and shutter priority modes and restored the slowest shutter speed option back to 1 second. Not sure what caused that to happen. My guess is the same firmware/software is used on different model cameras and it's scripted to show only available options for your particular camera; and somehow the script failed causing it to give me options for the wrong cam...Luckily it was a simple fix to restore options.

5. My earlier idea of mounting the cam sideways is not going to work. There's no option to turn the image 90 degrees (can only flip 180 degrees) and it wouldn't work anyway as the image twists sideways when panning while mounted sideways. Will have to be mounted either in the correct position or completely upside down. Any angled or side mounting just won't work.

6. Make sure every time you adjust a setting, you click the "save" button. I'm used to Hikvision which does an auto-save every time you adjust a setting...I found out the hard way that if you don't click "save", then all changes you just made are lost without warning when you switch to the next menu screen.

7. Is there a way to access the OSD (On Screen Display) on this unit? I don't see any button's to activate it and preset 95, which works on a lot of cameras, does not do anything.

8. Is there any way to change the format of recorded video? With Hikvision, recordings were saved on my computer as MP4 files that I could easily play back in a number of different players. This one only seems to save recordings as a .DAV file and I cannot get any of my players to open it.

9. One thing I've found particularly confusing is that there seems to be 2 sets of image adjustments (brightness, contrast, etc.)....One is under the "setup/condition" menu and the other is on the side of the live-view screen. Most options default at 50 on the setup/condition menu, while defaulting at 64 on the live-view screen...Why is this? Are these 2 different and separate methods of adjusting the image or is it the exact same setting that just changes default values depending on which screen you're viewing it on?

10. Is there any way to make a backup copy of the firmware on these units? Any way to Telnet into them?

Thanks guys for all the help and please let me know if there's anything I can do to help others.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
4. You enabled Backlight which disables those options
5. Typical for every PTZ, they dont work for shit if not panning horizontally
7. No, you didnt buy a Huisun, there is no OSD
8. Use SmartPlayer and you can convert it, A Dahua NVR will give you option to get different file types.. Handbrake can also convert em
9. One is for recording and impacts all clients, and the other is for display and only adjusts that client
10. Absolutely no need to do this, just leave it alone.. Telnet been disabled on recent firmware for security reasons (Marai Botnet)

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
7. No, you didnt buy a Huisun, there is no OSD
It's not just Huisun. OSD is a pretty standard feature. Even mentions it in the instruction manuals of some of the Dahua cams. That's why I figured there would be one. Maybe it's just the more advanced models...

10. Absolutely no need to do this, just leave it alone.. Telnet been disabled on recent firmware for security reasons (Marai Botnet)
When it comes to electronics, telling me to "leave it alone" is like telling a 14 year old that just hit puberty to leave his dick alone...lol. I have an uncontrollable desire to screw with electronics.

By the way, does anyone actually know who manufactures these things? Seems as though Dahua just buys up a bunch and pays to get their logo slapped on them and what we're getting is the original non-logo OEM versions? I can't seem to find any info on who the OEM actually is.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One other development....The unit started making an odd hissing noise. High frequency sound kind of like the old analog TV sets used to do. I suddenly started hearing it from across the room. Wasn't moving the cam or anything; just idle in one spot. I disconnected the power and powered it back and it mostly went away. can still hear it up close, but not from across the room like it was doing before...Is there by chance a fan inside these units? Or any idea what's causing that?