Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the corner mount and it works well. It's a beefy piece of metal, I was surprised at how heavy it was. Makes for a secure mount.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no experience with this camera, let alone how noisy it may be. But I do have experience with a ptz mounted to an exterior wall of my house and the noise it has is what I would guess is normal, general noise when it's in movement especially when it's doing speed tour or auto tracking. My advice has been and remains, to not mount the camera on an exterior wall to sleeping quarters or any room you do not wish to be disturbed in. The movement is heard inside the room. It's not super loud but you can clearly hear it. In a quite bedroom, it could disturb you enough to be unacceptable. Just be mindful of where you install a ptz on your house in terms of this.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got mine mounted on the back corner of my bedroom; dont wake me up.. but then again if im sleeping then its likely not moving.. unless someone opens up the gate, and then I kinda want to hear something heh... I can hear it though, inside is much louder than outside because the wall its bolted too kinda acts like an amplifier for the noise.. It is based off speed and going between presets is as fast as the camera will move.. Under manual control I can go whatever speed I want, usually much slower and the camera is much quieter too.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
You know the only thing holding me up buying this camera is being uncertain about it fitting into the mounting bracket I have now. I can't install the dahua bracket if needed unless the four corner wall holes are universal to all mounts and it would screw to the wall exactly in the holes I drilled in the first place. That being doubtful, it's a matter of the top of the dahua camera fitting into the nose of the bracket I have there now. Just looking, I kinda doubt it. I see that this camera has a couple of mounting adapters for the top of it but I'm not sure what brackets they help with retrofitting. Tough to buy this one, man. I want it but it's of no use if I can't get it mounted the way I need. So it remains just a temptation. Grr.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah the bracket likely not universal; chances are slim to none.. thats why I did a universal corner mount bracket, the next PTZ has a different bracket and I can just drill new holes into the bracket or just buy another undrilled one

This is why I like standard junction boxes where possible, you can replace that and put up a new camera without having to drill more holes.. but then again I just jig'd a big hole on my front patio for a recessed dome.. but that can be patched up with new soffit material easy enough.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I could probably come up with a solution to get the camera mounted to the nose of my bracket. The camera just literally hangs from the bracket and it's a matter of hitting home depot and getting inside/outside diameters matched up on each end and screwing the neck on. But that might make the camera hang a bit lower and I have tight clearance with a gutter downspout. Just a little too low and my front door position will show nothing but a gutter in the way, lol. Challenging! But, a retrofit at the nose seems possible.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Stupid question maybe, but can a Dahua camera work on a Hikvision recorder? Eventually my Huisuns will probably die. :)

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
In onif I'm guessing yes, but you'd probably have to settle for 24/7 recording and not getting motion recording compatible.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes; but just most basically.. IVS wont trigger recordings and setting up basic MD will require bit of hoop jumping..

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive got mine mounted on the back corner of my bedroom; dont wake me up.. but then again if im sleeping then its likely not moving.. unless someone opens up the gate, and then I kinda want to hear something heh... I can hear it though, inside is much louder than outside because the wall its bolted too kinda acts like an amplifier for the noise.. It is based off speed and going between presets is as fast as the camera will move.. Under manual control I can go whatever speed I want, usually much slower and the camera is much quieter too.
What he said... with no ambient noise inside like there is outside... I can hear it pan in pretty much my whole house. The only way it is quiet is if I pan while being max zoom since it goes so much slower... The restart at 2am on Tuesday morning... I notice it. I could change the time, but fuq it.

Last edited:

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
which junction box is recommended for this cam?
also, is PFB300C the ceiling mount you recommend?...i'm feeling like i may have more luck with the corner mount?!....ceiling mount would need a flat ceiling wouldn't it?

jstabb

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting..From those FPS, it sounds like yours isn't matching up exactly either...Basically, a shutter speed of 1/X will give you X frames per second (Provided that "X" value isn't a higher number than the maximum frames per second you have set in your video compression options)....Thus, if you have it set on the default 25 frames per second video setting, then a 1/1 shutter speed would give you 1 frame per second....1/4 would give you 4 fps...1/15 would give you 15 fps...1/30 would be 25fps....1/100 would be 25fps...Etc...Sure sounds like there is a bug somewhere. Hopefully this is something that could be fixed with a firmware update...
I've not looked into the details of the complete chain of processing, but I could believe that it might not necessarily work out as you calculated. I don't know how the compression algorithms, I-frame settings, etc. affect the final FPS. Like you, I would have initially thought it would be 1:1, but I'm not disturbed by the fact that it's not. As I said, the FPS did change with each change of the SS, but it appears to be off by roughly a factor of 2. Again, I haven't looked into the details, but I'm sure something explains that.
I know these posts are a couple weeks old, and the conversation has moved on. But I just wanted to point out that the rule of thumb in video capture is to use a shutter speed that results in the shutter being open 50% of the time. So 30fps would use a 1/60 shutter speed, 15fps 1/30 shutter speed, etc... You could argue, probably rightly so, that by manually setting the shutter speed you're attempting to override that behavior. But it's not all that surprising that the camera is attempting to maintain that 50% open time.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know these posts are a couple weeks old, and the conversation has moved on. But I just wanted to point out that the rule of thumb in video capture is to use a shutter speed that results in the shutter being open 50% of the time. So 30fps would use a 1/60 shutter speed, 15fps 1/30 shutter speed, etc... You could argue, probably rightly so, that by manually setting the shutter speed you're attempting to override that behavior. But it's not all that surprising that the camera is attempting to maintain that 50% open time.
That would make sense, but I'm having the exact opposite problem...Basically, if the parameters were actually correct, it would be the shutter open 300% of the time rather than 50%...In other words, in your example, a 1 second shutter speed would be me 1 frame every 2 seconds....Instead, I'm getting 3 frames per second. It's impossible. If it takes 1 whole second to make a single exposure, then I can't be getting 3 different exposures each second. I only have the problem when the setting is slower than 1/3 and after further digging, I found the hardware specs listed in a menu inside the camera and the maximum exposure time it supports is 300 milliseconds (which is approx. 1/3 second)...Which explains the problem I'm having. I can click 1 second as much as I want, but the hardware is rejecting it because it can't go any slower than 1/3 second. They just put inaccurate specs in the ad...Same way they put inaccurate specs on the white balance settings and the same way the FTP timing settings are incorrect...and a long list of other, more minor things that don't seem to work right or match up....and who knows what else is wrong that I haven't even discovered yet...Seems every few days I'm discovering a new problem.

It's just a horribly advertised/designed unit. Apparently, the software and/or firmware was not designed to match the hardware. This was either done by accident or on purpose to make the camera seem more functional that it actually is. I guess you get what you pay for. At this point, it's little more than just a toy to play around with or to work as a basic home security camera...but if you're looking for something to use in a professional environment or where you need certain specs, this isn't your answer because you can't believe the specs that are listed in the advertisements. Everyone's been putting down Huisun and promoting how wonderful Dahua is, so I'm quite shocked and disappointed that I've had more problems with this unit in 3 weeks than I've had with a Huisun unit in over a year.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So hows that Huisun of yours doing at its slowest shutter speed?

Its all a big conspiracy to sell you, and only you this camera! mwhahaha.. err, no just some poor doc writer somewhere made a mistake.. they run firmware files across entire lines that can vary in optical chipsets quite a bit.

Your the only one on these forums looking for an ip camera that can take multi-second exposures.. when were all trying to get the highest shutter speeds obtainable.

-- added you to my ignore list becuase im tired of listening to you whine about this.. if you dont like your camera so much there in pretty high demand, throw it up forsale and good riddens.

Last edited:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So hows that Huisun of yours doing at its slowest shutter speed?
What it's supposed to do..Only goes to 1/25 but I knew that before I purchased it. I didn't intend for it to be a night cam. Just something cheap to play around with during the daytime. Had this unit said it only went to 1/3, I probably would have held off a bit longer and waited for another model to come out...If nothing came out soon, I may have decided to give it a shot anyway, but having the restriction in mind.

Its all a big conspiracy to sell you, and only you this camera! mwhahaha.. err, no just some poor doc writer somewhere made a mistake.. these firmware files run on 4MP cameras of same vintage, perhaps they are capable of the shutter speeds you desire.
It's been a long standing tradition with Chinese manufacturers and sellers to inflate specs on items, sell counterfeit goods, never ship products you order, etc...It's widespread and doesn't take much experience buying direct from China before you get screwed. Maybe that happened in this case or maybe it was a mistake. Who knows?! Seems to me, if it were a mistake, the specs on the website would have changed by now and I would be getting apologies and offers of some sort to make up for the mistake (discount on the purchase, offer to replace with a different model, something..) Instead, my complaints have gone completely ignored. Even Huisun offers customer service. Their stuff breaks all the time, but they've sent new circuit boards and even complete new units to people even after the buyer protection period has ended. I've yet to find any customer support for this unit.

Your the only one on these forums looking for an ip camera that can take multi-second exposures.. when were all trying to get the highest shutter speeds obtainable.
I never said anything about multi-second exposures. Sure, that would be nice to have, but it wasn't advertised as a multi-second exposure, thus I don't expect it to have such ability. I only expect it to have 1 second exposures like it's advertised to have. Along with the other features it's advertised to have.

added you to my ignore list becuase im tired of listening to you whine about this.. if you dont like your camera so much there in pretty high demand, throw it up forsale and good riddens.
Never said I didn't like the cam or wanted to sell it. I've said many times that it has it's good points. I'm just trying to find solutions to problems I've noticed just like everyone else does on these boards...It's no problem to you when someone has problems with other brands and you spend countless hours bashing practically every other brand out there and cheering on everyone else that bashes these brands...Yet when someone has a problem with the almighty Dahua, they're whining or "bitching" as you so politely put it the other day. If items are not as described, I feel it's perfectly reasonable to ask for support and I also feel it's our duty to warn others if a product is not as described. If you're so obsessed with Dahua that you can't handle any negative feedback on them, then that shows that you're biased and that your reviews should be taken as untrustworthy. Apparently, if Dahua makes it, it's going to be perfect and if anyone else makes it, it's a "piece of shit" as you so frequently call products from other brands. It would serve you well to learn some manners. You're constantly "F" this, "F" that. It's highly inappropriate when representing a professional industry. And for God's sake, you don't have to act like a jerk all the time! You often offer helpful advice to posters, yet you're often insulting and downright rude to them in the process.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At least @nayr helps fix issues, even with his I don't give a fuck attitude....

You on the other hand... complain... and whine, like a child... you talk in circles and it's annoying as fuck... if you bought the camera from Andy, I'm sure you can get a refund if you are crying half as much to him as you are here. If you got it from another seller. That's on you.... your moot complaint has been noted.. move the fuck on and sell your camera so u can go away.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Guess this is the last Dahua I'll be purchasing and will not be recommending them to anyone else. I need to stick with Hikvision. As annoying as they are as a company, at least they give you the correct specs.
You're entitled to an opinion and I don't owe Dahua anything but believe you shouldn't condemn a brand because it doesn't fit YOUR specific needs. I understand you are frustrated because the specifications don't line up with what you testing has discovered, perhaps your research and findings are better directed at Dahua directly instead of these forums. Plenty of people out there who would be more than satisfied with this PTZ.

I have a string of issues with Dahua at the moment. Does it stop me from recommending Dahua or using it myself, no. It would be nice to get these problems resolved but it's no deal breaker.
No worries, massive email incoming. Please do your best to get these worked out with Dahua Andy.

Issues Reported in Email:
1. NVR Rebooting
2. IVS Skipped Frames
3. PTZ Out of Focus
4. PTZ IR Switch Hyper Sensitive
5. 3rd 1080p Sub Stream Unavailable on HDW5231R-Z
but if you're looking for something to use in a professional environment or where you need certain specs
In reading your various posts I've concluded that your situation is an edge case. I own the big brother to this and would not see the need someone in a professional environment who would require the things you are seeking if we are talking about CCTV surveillance which these things are built for.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do but if it's frustrating you might be best to move onto an alternative brand if it does what you need.