Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you guys still think this cam is the best bang for the buck for a first PTZ?..need something to monitor unscrupulous contractors..
Probably so, although it really depends on your exact needs. If you need 1080p video, fast pan and tilt with 360 degree pan range, fairly strong amount of zoom, good low-light performance on faster shutter speeds (without motion blur) and decent wide dynamic range ability; but not concerned about color balance or slow shutter ability and no need for a wiper...Then yeah, this is probably the best bang for the buck....

If color and slow shutter is important and you can sacrifice a bit of speed, dynamic range and low light performance on the faster shutter speeds, then I'd lean toward Hikvision.....(or Huisun/Imporx speed dome if a wiper happens to be important).

If you speed isn't important, you only need about 250 degrees pan range, only need moderate zoom and lowest price is more important than long-term reliability, then the Husisun/Imporx Mini ptz would be your best bet...Just don't count on it lasting more than a couple of months based on past history with a number of members here.

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder, what is the purpose of the temperature reading. I turned it on and no way is it the outdoor temp.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i listed a single POE+ injector on first post
But if I was hooking up 3 Starlight varifocal 5231's and one or 2 of these PTZ, what's a good gigabit switch that would cover all the power needs ?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
great news .so i hope mine will be on the way soon :)

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this may have been answered but how audible will this camera movement be to somebody down on the ground below maybe 15ft down?
is there another camera option that is less noisy? or a way to reduce the movement noise by lowering the rotation speed?

also, what is the viewing capability on this cam? 180 degrees or 360? I'd ideally like to use it to look down the side of my house as well as the option to sometimes look out at my driveway

IMG_5494.JPG
IMG_5493.JPG

mpbcam

n3wb
Reaction score
this may have been answered but how audible will this camera movement be to somebody down on the ground below maybe 15ft down?
is there another camera option that is less noisy? or a way to reduce the movement noise by lowering the rotation speed?

also, what is the viewing capability on this cam? 180 degrees or 360? I'd ideally like to use it to look down the side of my house as well as the option to sometimes look out at my driveway
The noise isn't too bad... someone listening when it's otherwise pretty quiet would probably notice the whirring as you pan, but not necessarily. When I was bench testing mine inside you could definitely hear it but then I was just 10 feet away in an enclosed space.

You can change the pan/tilt speed, but I don't know how much that would affect the sound level. It would affect the pitch a bit with the stepper motor going slower so I suppose it comes down to whether you want a high or low frequency noise.

The panning is continuous 360 degree. Just keep going in circles if you want. Tilt is -90 to +15 (I think it's +15). Your proposed location would be good since it overhangs a bit and would let you see that railed in area... it looked like you might want to use a ceiling mount so it hangs straight down, so be aware that it comes with a wall mount, but Dahua does have ceiling mount brackets available that should work with this. In your case a wall mount wouldn't let you see around that corner as well unless you got a corner mount bracket to attach that wall mount to. And if you were doing that, you may as well get the ceiling mount and do it cleaner. I just don't know if the ceiling mount could be installed at the angle of your eaves or if would only be able to point straight down...

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The noise isn't too bad... someone listening when it's otherwise pretty quiet would probably notice the whirring as you pan, but not necessarily. When I was bench testing mine inside you could definitely hear it but then I was just 10 feet away in an enclosed space.

You can change the pan/tilt speed, but I don't know how much that would affect the sound level. It would affect the pitch a bit with the stepper motor going slower so I suppose it comes down to whether you want a high or low frequency noise.

The panning is continuous 360 degree. Just keep going in circles if you want. Tilt is -90 to +15 (I think it's +15). Your proposed location would be good since it overhangs a bit and would let you see that railed in area... it looked like you might want to use a ceiling mount so it hangs straight down, so be aware that it comes with a wall mount, but Dahua does have ceiling mount brackets available that should work with this. In your case a wall mount wouldn't let you see around that corner as well unless you got a corner mount bracket to attach that wall mount to. And if you were doing that, you may as well get the ceiling mount and do it cleaner. I just don't know if the ceiling mount could be installed at the angle of your eaves or if would only be able to point straight down...
Thanks!! I was thinking of wall mount behind/under the board and facing towards the black metal railing.. if you can visualize what I mean...otherwise I guess I could just get the ceiling mount as well and see which works best?!...or I could mount it on the outside of that board like Idasilva did in his first post of this thread, but may be less clean/uglier?!