Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi!...Microsd card question: would this camera benefit much from UHS-3 vs. UHS-1 speeds??....bought UHS-1 Samsung 128gb but see deals on the UHS-3 now...wondering if I should return the ones I bought and buy UHS-3?!

Thanks!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi!...Microsd card question: would this camera benefit much from UHS-3 vs. UHS-1 speeds??....bought UHS-1 Samsung 128gb but see deals on the UHS-3 now...wondering if I should return the ones I bought and buy UHS-3?!

Thanks!
Just look at the bit rate you have the camera set to. I doubt the extra speed probably won't matter.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Firmware update note:

For those with sd49225t-hn, I just installed this firmware from 11-30-2016

Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/05SD/Main_Firmware/SD-Mao-Rhea/General/20161130

The cam accepted the firmware without issue. It's night here, so a lot of options I can't really test and will have to wait until morning...but first impression:

•Shutter speed is still capped at 1/3
•Does away with the that global IVS calibration menu, but it didn't seem to serve any purpose as far as I could tell...
•Can't tell if there's been any change to my white balance issues since it's night; will test in the morning..
•Did seem to fix the "path" bug I had..In the past, I would set it to save snapshots to "my pictures" directory, but when I would log off it would automatically revert back to the default save path. I logged off and back on and this time it remembered the setting.
•FTP timing bug still exists...6S = 1 minute....7S= 1 min 10 sec...

Will post more as I do more testing. If anyone else wants to test, please let us know your experience and if you notice any issues resolved or added.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Firmware update note:

For those with sd49225t-hn, I just installed this firmware from 11-30-2016

Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/05SD/Main_Firmware/SD-Mao-Rhea/General/20161130

The cam accepted the firmware without issue. It's night here, so a lot of options I can't really test and will have to wait until morning...but first impression:

•Shutter speed is still capped at 1/3
•Does away with the that global IVS calibration menu, but it didn't seem to serve any purpose as far as I could tell...
•Can't tell if there's been any change to my white balance issues since it's night; will test in the morning..
•Did seem to fix the "path" bug I had..In the past, I would set it to save snapshots to "my pictures" directory, but when I would log off it would automatically revert back to the default save path. I logged off and back on and this time it remembered the setting.
•FTP timing bug still exists...6S = 1 minute....7S= 1 min 10 sec...

Will post more as I do more testing. If anyone else wants to test, please let us know your experience and if you notice any issues resolved or added.
Is that normal, 188MB for a firmware file ?? Seems huge to me. Just curious as why it is so large. I looked on Dahua's site and that can be a challenge to decipher exactly what firmware is the correct one. I have no issues yet, so I am leaving mine alone.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is that normal, 188MB for a firmware file ?? Seems huge to me. Just curious as why it is so large. I looked on Dahua's site and that can be a challenge to decipher exactly what firmware is the correct one. I have no issues yet, so I am leaving mine alone.
When you extract the zip file, it gives you a lot of different files...The regular BIN file like you find on Dahua's website is included and it's only 22mb (circled file on attached picture)...All the other files are for different kinds of updates. I did not install any of those as I don't know what they are for. Perhaps someone can shed some light on what these other files are for?firmware.GIF

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just look at the bit rate you have the camera set to. I doubt the extra speed probably won't matter.
true, but seems to only be $15 more in total for UHS-3 speeds...would the Dahua cams support the UHS-3 speed? they seem substantially faster and if I'm gonna have these for a few years, $15 seems
like a no-brainer?!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
true, but seems to only be $15 more in total for UHS-3 speeds...would the Dahua cams support the UHS-3 speed? they seem substantially faster and if I'm gonna have these for a few years, $15 seems
like a no-brainer?!
faster higher quality cards may hold up better over time regardless of the speed the camera writes to them.

dalepa

Reaction score
Looks great! How does this view work in the daytime for weather monitoring? A scene like this in the day would really throw my auto white balance into orbit (no pun intended)
Daytime shots look awesome.

upload_2017-4-27_22-10-25.png

Night IR OFF
upload_2017-4-27_22-10-15.png

IR ON

Sunset
upload_2017-4-27_22-9-53.png

Orions Belt Last Night

Southern Sky

The Mount

Last edited:
Reaction score
like a no-brainer?!
I bought the 2-pack of 32GB Sandisk Extreme microSD cards that Costco currently has for $29.99. They are UHS 3 and work fine in the 5231R-Z and SD49925-HN cams I am using. Be aware, 32GB fills up in less than a 24 hour period, at 10 fps. May want to go to 64 or 128 GB.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im using the 128GB version of that card for going on 2 months in two cameras that are recording 2MP 15fps@ 8192 bitrate and get about 2 - 2.5 days - so far so good.

japjoe7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im using the 128GB version of that card for going on 2 months in two cameras that are recording 2MP 15fps@ 8192 bitrate and get about 2 - 2.5 days - so far so good.
Quick question...

Is recorder, for you, at 8192k that much better over in the 4096k in image quality and storage? For me it would be nice to record in 8192k but folks here balk at that.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quick question...

Is recorder, for you, at 8192k that much better over in the 4096k in image quality and storage? For me it would be nice to record in 8192k but folks here balk at that.
I currently run this camera with mostly default settings and 25fps @ 4096 CBR.
I have BI set to record 24/7 splitting into 1 hr clips. For the most part each clip is pretty close to 2GB per hour. (I assume it would be more if there were a lot of motion).
So 128GB \ 2GB per hr) \ 24 hrs = approx 2.67 days recording on a 128GB card.
I would have expected running at 8192k would make a much larger file. Maybe the extra 10fps negates the savings from the smaller bit rate, but I don't really know how all that works out mathematically.

I wonder how much better it would be using H.265 if I could get that setting to work with BI....

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
How about the other half of that question. Anyone have an opinion about the image quality being much better at 8192 opposed to 4096? Perhaps picture comparisons?

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I received my order for one of these cams to try out today. Mounted it inside my garage just to give a quick bench test. It was working great and was really happy with the daytime image at first but now I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what happened to the high quality image I had? I didn't touch any image settings. It looks all pixelated. Check out the driveway.

I have tried so far with no difference.

Restarting Firefox.
Rebooting the camera
Powering off the camera and powering it up again

After all those things didn't make any difference I figured I would try another computer just to make sure it's not something with Firefox or the plug-in that went screwy

So I installed the nacl plugin to chrome on my laptop and then viewed the camera image but again it is all pixelized.

I don't understand what happened? Any ideas?

Attachments

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I figured out the problem! I had used an app called IP Cam Viewer on my iphone to see how the camera worked in that app and when I added it to this app by Selecting Dahua as the brand and HTTP for the access mode it changed the Main Video stream of the camera's Encode mode from H.264 to MJPEG! That would explain why it looked like crap. Put it back to H.264 and it looks great again. Just thought I would post in case someone else ever ran into this.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So, basically MJPEG stream is going to be crap? (Not that I know why one would use MJPEG)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

So a couple of things-

1-just checked and Im actually getting about 18 hours on the one cam @25fps and 24 hrs on the cam running 15fps...? Different conditions and I'm pretty sure forced color at night (which these are) takes up more data than B&W nighttime video?

2- As to the quality, I played with them for a number of weeks trying to get the best color night video as possible under difficult conditions. I tried diff bitrates and fps and settings and kept coming back to the 8192 as my "Best" bitrate. Unfortunately getting movement at night is difficult as we live on a quiet culdesac of 41 homes and short of driving up and down the street and checking settings 10 times an evening it's tough to get samples. (which i did until the wife threatened to call a Doc for my OCD) Without moving targets, at night, evaluating video is a waste of time.

The higher bitrate is what made me get the SD cards to begin with. The cameras (HOA owned) record to the cloud via EagleEye Networks, and the upload speed of the connection makes anything above about 4096/15fps stutter on playback. Useable but annoying. So I put the cards in knowing that 99% of the time if I needed video it would be from the past 48 hours and I could snag a pristine copy from the camera itself.

I'll try and get some samples tonight and we'll see- settings all same- just different bitrates/Iframe and CBR/VBR.

jstabb

n3wb
Reaction score
I currently run this camera with mostly default settings and 25fps @ 4096 CBR.
I have BI set to record 24/7 splitting into 1 hr clips. For the most part each clip is pretty close to 2GB per hour. (I assume it would be more if there were a lot of motion).
So 128GB \ 2GB per hr) \ 24 hrs = approx 2.67 days recording on a 128GB card.
I would have expected running at 8192k would make a much larger file. Maybe the extra 10fps negates the savings from the smaller bit rate, but I don't really know how all that works out mathematically.

I wonder how much better it would be using H.265 if I could get that setting to work with BI....
CBR stands for Constant Bit Rate (VBR = Variable Bit Rate), so regardless of the amount of motion it's always going to be ~4096kbps. Also, the bit rate is independent of the frame rate. Whether it's 15fps or 25fps, it will still be 4096kbps. The higher the fps, the fewer bits there are to use per-frame, the more compressed the stream will be (i.e. Recording at 30fps/8192kpbs would have the same image quality as 15fps/4096kbps, assuming all other encoding settings are the same).

If the encoder is hitting its target bit rate, a 128GB SD card should hold:
34.72 hours @ 8192kbps CBR
69.44 hours @ 4096kbps CBR

jstabb

n3wb
Reaction score
So, basically MJPEG stream is going to be crap? (Not that I know why one would use MJPEG)
Some programs require, or work better with an MJPEG stream. E.g. OpenALPR (automatic license plate recognition). That image was not indicative of what to expect from MJPEG, it's typically slightly better quality than h264 at a significantly higher bandwidth cost. That image was probably from the camera trying to run MJPEG at h264 bit rates.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
CBR stands for Constant Bit Rate (VBR = Variable Bit Rate), so regardless of the amount of motion it's always going to be ~4096kbps. Also, the bit rate is independent of the frame rate. Whether it's 15fps or 25fps, it will still be 4096kbps. The higher the fps, the fewer bits there are to use per-frame, the more compressed the stream will be (i.e. Recording at 30fps/8192kpbs would have the same image quality as 15fps/4096kbps, assuming all other encoding settings are the same).

If the encoder is hitting its target bit rate, a 128GB SD card should hold:
34.72 hours @ 8192kbps CBR
69.44 hours @ 4096kbps CBR

Duhhhh... So I was typing faster than the ole noggin was processing :banghead:

On the one cam at 8192/25fps CBR I'm getting not 18hrs but 1.5 days = 36 hours (had 12 hours in my head for some reason)
on the other at 8192/CBR 15fps i'm getting closer to 2 days or 44-48 hours