Dahua 2MP Starlight Lineup

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Dahua has thousands of models, make too hard to remember. Seems named not very easy to remember too. For me even hard too.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I put the price to the 129usd/pcs via DHL shipping,and for IPCAMTALK Guys, please send me message to me before buy, will offer you 5usd off.
Ah, that is better. It doesn't make much sense to have the varifocal and fixed lens versions at the same price, especially when the fixed lens has specified sensitivity of 0.009@F2.0 while the varifocal has 0.006@F1.4. I wonder how that translates to real world low light performance; it is a very significant difference on paper.

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We discourage Dome use here; and I would even more so with these really light sensitive cameras.. any kinda dirt/water spots is going to reflect right back in even brighter, and getting the curved dome to flare up off external light is going to be even easier than non starlight domes.. Domes Outside are a bundle of problems typically; and I would have to imagine Starlight Domes are a couple bundles of problems..
The one thing I'll say about domes is they seem to be more waterproof. Turrets seems to get water intrusion and fog/condense the lens from the inside way more often.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
when i took my varifocal mini turret apart it had two large silica packets inside and it had a nice rubber gasket going around the joint.. I think it'll be fine.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I put the price to the 129usd/pcs via DHL shipping,and for IPCAMTALK Guys, please send me message to me before buy, will offer you 5usd off.
Great price!, Given that includes DHL Shipping which most quote for around +$30 more than ePacket, thats a $100 camera when you compare it to other offerings with free ePacket shipping.. which is horribly slow w/shitty tracking; got my varifocal turret from @EMPIRETECANDY via DHL 3 days after it was mailed off.

ilrider78

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua IPC HDW4231EM AS 2MP IR Eyeball Network Camera. free DHL shipping from Reliable camera connection kit ipad suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd
Are these still available at 129usd? I see a different price in that link from BEC Technology. And are you still offering the additional 5off for forum members?

Is the price on the price of the IPC-PFW8601-A180 3x2MP listed in your store correct?

Last edited:

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please let us know if the 124 offer is still avaliable. If so, i would like to order a few. Thanks

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, that is better. It doesn't make much sense to have the varifocal and fixed lens versions at the same price, especially when the fixed lens has specified sensitivity of 0.009@F2.0 while the varifocal has 0.006@F1.4. I wonder how that translates to real world low light performance; it is a very significant difference on paper.
I'm also wondering the same thing. With both the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW4231EM-AS being in the Starlight lineup, are they expected to perform the same even though the zoom lens has a larger aperture of 1.4 vs the 2.0 of the fixed?

Does Andy or anyone know?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm also wondering the same thing. With both the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and IPC-HDW4231EM-AS being in the Starlight lineup, are they expected to perform the same even though the zoom lens has a larger aperture of 1.4 vs the 2.0 of the fixed?

Does Andy or anyone know?
they will not be the same as reflected in the different lux ratings. The 35 dollar savings is not worthwhile

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not yet, that would be awesome tho if they did toss this sensor into that chassis.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got quotes for multisensor at that price range imported, might get my hands on one soon.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Please share yor findings if you get one. Always like your oppinion and review.

Would be an option for me to cover the whole back side of the house with one installed camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be comparing a fixed lens starlight against the varifocal one perhaps as early as next week.. see how much that smaller aperture impacts performance.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It will be small indeed, but i will have a 6 meter deep garden which is 16.5 meter wide.
Though current install of my 2.8 mm hik shows not to great detail on people faces at 6 meter. So with that in mind it might not be the correct solution.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
We just brought a new house and we are thinking to go with Dahua starlight camare this time. We are wanting to mount one above front door and another one above our garage big doors.

Since IPC-HDW5231R-Z seem to be the hot item and every sellers out there seem to be out of stock on this model, which we really wanted to get. But I am thinking maybe IPC-HDW4231EM-AS will be a better choice for front door anyway since we don't really need varifocals there but we want to use varifocals above garage doors.

I am thinking about ordering the two 4231 for now for front door and garage door then when more 5231 comes in stock again then replace it above the garage door and move the 4231 to the back door. And a couple of more 5231 around the house perimeter.

The NVR we are thinking to get is this one

wholesale NVR5216-16P-4KS2- DAHUA NVR5216-16P-4KS2 16 Channel 16 POE, 4K and H.265 DAHUA Network Video Recorder and 320Mbps incoming bandwidth review

We are Deaf couple and hope to set up a smart detection on the camera then connect a flashing alert light to the NVR to alert us when a line is crossed etc. We will also add a motion detection as well too. The NVR seem to support this feature correct?

Is 4231 a good choice for front and back door?

Thank you
Bill

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
verify with your seller that the NVR you want includes IVS support; if it does it should be pretty simple to hook a strobe up @ the NVR and have the camera's linecross trigger it for a few seconds.

IVS is an optional feature for most NVR's, if you dont double check before buying you might not get it.