Dahua 4k Starlight with 1/2 sensor (CVI only for now)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That's an effort to comply European data protection laws.

um... that's the exact camera and link fenderman provided in the first post. it's hdcvi.
It’s strange I can’t open @fenderman ‘s link but I can open the one I copied and pasted here, even tried in different browsers and cleared cache and history before doing so. Dahua website needs some refining, although I have to say, their design template is better than the former

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s strange I can’t open @fenderman ‘s link but I can open the one I copied and pasted here, even tried in different browsers and cleared cache and history before doing so. Dahua website needs some refining, although I have to say, their design template is better than the former
if something doesn't work adding ?us still fixes it. If you go up to the globe icon on the upper right and set it to international then it should work.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder what sensor it's using. Sony announced a 4K sensor, the IMX334, 4 months ago. I've been waiting to see how that sensor would turn out. But according to Sony, that's a 1/1.8" sensor, not a 1/2" sensor as Dahua has it. Could they be used something different, like in their recent 5MP cameras which I believe is not Sony sensor? Size wise it's certainly a more practical sensor size vs the IMX294.

It's awesome that it's coming in turret form. Surely the IP version will be out shortly, just like with the IMX294 box camera that came in HDCVI first.

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, my wife is going to kill me. I have replaced all my home IPC's 2x over the years and it looks like #3 is coming.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What was the timeframe of availability like between the 2MP Starlight HDCVI and 2MP IP Starlight cameras? Hopefully, this gives us some estimated timeframe of availability for these 4K models. :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know, are the CVI versions even buyable at this point? New cameras often are in very short supply with long waiting lists, so even when the IP versions appear on the dahua website it could still be months before you can get them in your hands.

I'm afraid to see the price tag once the IP version is available. I expect these are going to cost significantly more than the existing 4K models and existing 2MP starlights in the same form factor.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know, are the CVI versions even buyable at this point? New cameras often are in very short supply with long waiting lists, so even when the IP versions appear on the dahua website it could still be months before you can get them in your hands.

I'm afraid to see the price tag once the IP version is available. I expect these are going to cost significantly more than the existing 4K models and existing 2MP starlights in the same form factor.
300-400 is my guess...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If the specs are true then it should be just barely better at low light than the existing 2MP starlights. They're showing "0.005Lux/F1.5, 30IRE, 0Lux IR on" for the 4K varifocal turret versus "0.006Lux/F1.4 ( Color,1/3s,30IRE)" for the 2MP varifocal turret. So I am afraid that $300-400 each is probably accurate. Though if it comes in somehow below $300 then I'll probably buy two to start with, maybe more in the future. Lower than $200 and my poor Blue Iris server is going to melt.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lower than $200 and my poor Blue Iris server is going to melt.
I just added a 4k Dahua onto my BI server (i5-3570K) and it increased my CPU by ~12 or 14%, and I went from 11Mbps on the network card to 24Mbps. lol.

Would love to have this camera... better low light performance and in 4k? Hell yes please! I really only have 3 cameras locations I'd want it... and maybe just 2 I'd actually pony up for it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I wouldn't even speculate at this point. How does Costco charge $800 for a 4K Lorex System Made by Dahua? I'm sure it will be reasonably priced, and perhaps not much of a difference between currently priced 2MP and 4K. 4K is swiftly becoming the norm, and before we know it 8K will be out (wait, to some extent it already is, lol). I wouldn't even guess the prices here until official info from Dahua is released. In the meantime, probably wouldn't exceed in the $200-$300 range; that's my best guess, anything beyond that is maximum threshold :D

300-400 is my guess...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even speculate at this point. How does Costco charge $800 for a 4K Lorex System Made by Dahua? I'm sure it will be reasonably priced, and perhaps not much of a difference between currently priced 2MP and 4K. 4K is swiftly becoming the norm, and before we know it 8K will be out (wait, to some extent it already is, lol). I wouldn't even guess the prices here until official info from Dahua is released. In the meantime, probably wouldn't exceed in the $200-$300 range; that's my best guess, anything beyond that is maximum threshold :D
I think you need to lookup the word guess.... .
You sound like a newbie...you dont understand the difference between the crap sensor in the costco 4k lorex and in this camera? please...
Right, a 4k 1/2 sensor wont exceed the 200-300 range, but their curret 6mp low light imx178 is 325 (via andy, much more via other channels)...4k will be the norm, with a crap sensor that does not see at night...4mp is also the "norm", but they are useless in low light...there is a huge price difference between a 4mp crap sensor camera and a 2mp starlight...getting it now?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh wait----I completely dismissed that Costco's 4K Lorex Cameras are "not" Starlight. Yikes :) You're completely right about the 4K sensor in the Lorex, the 2MP Starlight still outshines in this category, which is why I could never recommend the 4K Lorex to others in the first place, lol :facepalm: :banghead: I think seeing a starlight being available in 4K got me too excited for a moment, will resume conversation on this when the PoE model actually releases---its unpredictable at the moment
Thanks @fenderman :lol:

I think you need to lookup the word guess.... .
You sound like a newbie...you dont understand the difference between the crap sensor in the costco 4k lorex and in this camera? please...
Right, a 4k 1/2 sensor wont exceed the 200-300 range, but their curret 6mp low light imx178 is 325 (via andy, much more via other channels)...4k will be the norm, with a crap sensor that does not see at night...4mp is also the "norm", but they are useless in low light...there is a huge price difference between a 4mp crap sensor camera and a 2mp starlight...getting it now?

Last edited:

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Outstanding. Where do i line up :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wonder what sensor it's using. Sony announced a 4K sensor, the IMX334, 4 months ago. I've been waiting to see how that sensor would turn out. But according to Sony, that's a 1/1.8" sensor, not a 1/2" sensor as Dahua has it.
According to Sony the IMX334 is a 1/1.8" sensor with a resolution of 3952x2320 (9.17 M pixels). The recommended resolution is 3840x2160. Dahua uses this resolution. I think this resolution uses "only" 1/2" of the 1/1.8" sensor.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to Sony the IMX334 is a 1/1.8" sensor with a resolution of 3952x2320 (9.17 M pixels). The recommended resolution is 3840x2160. Dahua uses this resolution. I think this resolution uses "only" 1/2" of the 1/1.8" sensor.
That makes sense! And the ratios between the resolutions and the sensor sizes do seem to match.