Dahua 4k system vs lorex or Montague? 1200 budget

petro

n3wb
Reaction score
Would I be better off going with a dahua nvr5416 and 3x 2831-zs 4k 1/1.8" 30fps cams and probably an additional starlight with ability to add more cams over time or would a lorex or mantavue offer better perf/price in the 1200.00 range?

The 5416 offers 4x sata so I could eventually run up to 40tb of storage.

petro

n3wb
Reaction score
I've also got a spare ryzen 2700x PC that we use for downloading movies and playing emulator games. I could very easily add a few large hdd's and run blue Iris. If I go that route I would just need a pie switch to cennect to the PC right? How much more difficult would it be to setup a blue Iris install vs a dahua NVR?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've also got a spare ryzen 2700x PC that we use for downloading movies and playing emulator games. I could very easily add a few large hdd's and run blue Iris. If I go that route I would just need a pie switch to cennect to the PC right? How much more difficult would it be to setup a blue Iris install vs a dahua NVR?
Hi @petro

Lots of discussion here on NVRs vs Blue Iris - so do feel free to search on the forum on this topic.

Also remember Blue Iris has a demo version you can try out, and Dahua OEM SmartPSS is available for free to try out ( closest to getting an idea of how the Dahua NVR software maybe like for you )

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is recommended to stick with Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.

More megapixel is not necessarily better.

You are not shooting a Hollywood movie, security system do not need more than 15fps.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @petro

Also if you can wait a bit, both Lorex and Montavue typically have some nice deals around BF-cyberweek.

Montavue iirc their products are Dahua OEMs - so you can typically find the matching Dahua OEM international model, just check the spec sheets.

petro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help I am looking at the 4x sata dahua NVR right now a maybe 2 or 3 4k 1/1.8" cams a 2mp low light cam and maybe 2x active deterrence cams so a broad spectrum of different types. We have a medical greenhouse in the back of the house we need to keep a good eye on so an active deterrence cam a low light and a 4k 1/1.8 will all be covering this spot plus the remaining to cover the rest of the house

petro

n3wb
Reaction score
Typically though the 30fps 4k cameras have better detail at lower fps since they would probably have a better sensor.

Anyone know if the lorex E891AB would work on a dahua NVR?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The issue with the 4k (4096 x 2160 = 8847360) cameras is the amount of light per pixel. The sensor is not 4 times bigger then the 2K (1920 x 1080 = 2073600). So the 4K there is less light per pixel. There for less image quality at night.

petro

n3wb
Reaction score
The issue with the 4k (4096 x 2160 = 8847360) cameras is the amount of light per pixel. The sensor is not 4 times bigger then the 2K (1920 x 1080 = 2073600). So the 4K there is less light per pixel. There for less image quality at night.
Im hoping to have a few different types of cameras used together. a few high res 1/1.8" 4k cameras, a few 2mp 1/2.8" sensor starlights and few active deterrence cameras for added security measure of thieves and snoops coming around our greenhouse and home during day or night. (we are medical cannabis growers in maine)

Heres the spec sheet on that Lorex Active Deterrence cam: https://www.lorextechnology.com/downloads/ip-cameras/E891AB/E891AB_Series_Spec_Sheet_R1.pdf

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's an interesting Lorex camera, IMO.
4K (8MP) 1/1.8" sensor
Active Deterrence
They don't call out IVS specifically but they do list Vehicle/Person "Smart Detection" which IMO sounds like IVS in Dahua's new Pro-AI series.

eeps24

n3wb
Reaction score
I started out at 30fps, then lowered them to 15fps and now all of them are 10fps except for my LPR camera which I have set at 5fps.
why did you go low on your FPS? i would think 30 FPS is superior? is it because you have low disk space?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
why did you go low on your FPS? i would think 30 FPS is superior? is it because you have low disk space?
everyone has finite disk space, even you. FPS does not directly affect disk space however it, you can use a much lower bitrate at a lower fps. Fps wastes resources and unless you are recording really fast moving objects 15 is WAY more than sufficient.

eeps24

n3wb
Reaction score
everyone has finite disk space, even you. FPS does not directly affect disk space however it, you can use a much lower bitrate at a lower fps. Fps wastes resources and unless you are recording really fast moving objects 15 is WAY more than sufficient.
What kind of resources? I mean.. what’s really the benefit recording at lower FPS?

Also can you please elaborate regarding bitrate? I’ve seen it in my settings. I figured higher is better

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of resources? I mean.. what’s really the benefit recording at lower FPS?

Also can you please elaborate regarding bitrate? I’ve seen it in my settings. I figured higher is better
processing power and storage as a result of the higher bitrate necessary for the same image quality. No need to elaborate its discussed in hundreds of threads. High frame rates is an amateur mistake.