Dahua AI Series Thread

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameras:

Varifocal Lens Bullet

(1). Dahua IPC-HFW7442H-Z 4MP Ultra AI Varifocal Bullet Camera / Reviewed by @Wildcat_1

Network Video Recorders (NVR's):

(1). Dahua NVR 4216-I / Reviewed by @looney2ns
Review-AI NVR 4216-I

(2). Dahua NVR5216-16P-I / Reviewed by @Steveee

I was also thinking it would be a good idea to sticky this thread to consolidate and discuss (briefly) the newly released Dahua Network Cameras featuring the new Artificial Intelligence; that way it would be easier for everyone to navigate to the desired thread (model topic) of the camera(s) they're interested in. Some users may be using Blue Iris whereas others are using the older Dahua Network Video Recorder models; would benefit with using the AI directly embedded inside the camera's software features.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Updated October 20th, 2019

Last edited:

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking forward to this. I am quite interested in these cams.

I assume (and based on your comment in the first post) if one has an AI camera, that means one does not need to use a Dahua AI nvr to get the AI functionality?

If this is the case, assuming you go all AI cameras, is there any benefit to having an AI nvr vs. an equivalent non-AI nvr?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
That is correct, you don’t need an AI-NVR to reap the AI benefit from the camera as the AI is built within the camera’a software

Many prefer to use Blue Iris here instead of a dedicated NVR because offers flexibility and is also easier to maintain and configure different cameras in one interface.

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I am still deciding between Blue Iris and Dahua NVR. Do you know:
  1. If talking NVR and and AI camera, is there any benefit to have an AI NVR vs. an equivalent non-AI NVR?
  2. If talking Blue Iris, does there need to be updates to the BI software for it to see/support the camera’s AI functionality?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The benefit of an AI NVR is that the NVR will do all the work as far as AI is concerned. If you use a equivalent non-AI NVR, you'll have to access and login to the Camera's Web UI every time to see the AI events; the microSD card will also be required in this situation as the AI events will be logged based off the video stored on the micro-SD cards

Blue Iris supports AI, [tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris
There is also Smart-Sentry (a cloud based system that works in conjunction with Blue Iris, which many here don't prefer because it utilizes a cloud-based service); you can the tutorial on aforementioned link

An NVR generally simplifies the setup process; with having an AI-NVR, you minimize the stress the cameras need to undergo as far as processing power and heat are concerned, although my statement may be up for debate. :D

Yes, I am still deciding between Blue Iris and Dahua NVR. Do you know:
  1. If talking NVR and and AI camera, is there any benefit to have an AI NVR vs. an equivalent non-AI NVR?
  2. If talking Blue Iris, does there need to be updates to the BI software for it to see/support the camera’s AI functionality?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
There seem to be various levels of AI, and some of it is being done at the camera, but I believe it was @bababouy ? mentioned they will soon come out with an NVR that will do the AI work regardless of camera capability... no idea on the time frame..

Currently Dahua seems to be segmenting "AI" cameras in the 'Ultra AI, Pro AI, and Lite AI series..
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/allProducts/1

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m referring to all of the newly announced and release AI models; your’s is an AI model as well
Nice, any info on them and what the difference would be?

With this popularity and the NVR taking over + having free AI detection with some downloading/work it would be great if Blue Iris would incorporate it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
From what it appears, as there is varying degree of AI in each model, I’ll have to subcategorize the models in the original post.
I’m only posting the model numbers on which are having active discussion on this forum. Several members have reviewed these models; it will be great to put the direct links in this thread so that it will be easy to navigate to those discussion threads

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
bump, work in progress, should get this ready soon :)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
added first cam
Any suggestions / additions, let me know :)

Updated October 20th, 2019

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Firmware needs to mature for both the AI NVR's and the Cameras to work together as they are designed.
The AI NVR 4216I series, at this point does not work well with any of the 3 AI cameras I have tested.
My advice is don't be in any hurry.
I do have an AI cam at my front door that is working very well after a firmware update, with BI and filtering only for humans. In the 6 days it's been up, it has stopped all of the false alerts.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not wanting to cause a distraction here, but where might folk envisage this advanced camera being installed in a typical home installation? Currently would its benifits over other Dahua models justify the cost premium? Locally having CCTV is a modest deterrent as the crims here come hooded up, AI might just tip the balance in my favour. In five years time though these cameras will be a lot cheaper!

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not wanting to cause a distraction here, but where might folk envisage this advanced camera being installed in a typical home installation? Currently would its benifits over other Dahua models justify the cost premium? Locally having CCTV is a modest deterrent as the crims here come hooded up, AI might just tip the balance in my favour. In five years time though these cameras will be a lot cheaper!
The biggest plus is the ability to stop the false alerts due to bugs, shadows, rain, etc.
Setup the IVS for human and/or vehicle filtering, and that's all you will see as recorded triggers.

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Firmware needs to mature for both the AI NVR's and the Cameras to work together as they are designed.
The AI NVR 4216I series, at this point does not work well with any of the 3 AI cameras I have tested.
I Agree that the firmware could definitely be improved to make NVR and cameras work together as you would expect them to.
Including a help section with some common IVS set-up scenario instructions would save a lot of time, instead of trail and error.

I think it depends on which AI features you want.

For me on the NVR5216-16P-I , I use the face detection and recognition, which does work reasonable well. The Tripwire and intrusion I also find works really well (as Looney2ns said, very few false alarms).

I did have problems getting my HFW7842HP-Z to get face detection & recognition working, but I did get it working eventually.
My T5241H-AS-PV cameras and my SD49225XA-HNR , for what I use them for, they seem to work OK with my NVR.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What surprises me is that if you dig deeper the older NVR got a lot of the smart AI features from the newest NVR 4.0 firmware

philbio

n3wb
Reaction score
New member here (limited experience), I've found this camera IPC-T3241T-ZAS on the Empire Tech store and it appears to be an AI Series.

I've searched around for any reviews with no luck, it appears to have a varifocal lens and good low light specs (0.002 Lux@F1.5 )? can anyone provide some feedback on the specs?

@EMPIRETECANDY