Dahua DHI-NVR5864-4KS2 not support custom protocol

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
onvif works on these nvrs, but if you turn on DST on camera, it cannot connect to the camera anymore. also onvif device manager cannot connect anymore.

seems a bug for years now.

antus

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. Though this camera did not work for me since I lost the custom option, which looks like it might have come back in a slightly different place with this update. I am interested to learn if the "custom" "rtsp" "part" firmware did add that rtsp steam type = custom option and if that would be helpful for others. I have opened the firmware bin and can see it has a small custom-x.squashfs.img filesystem and the installation LUA script looks like it writes it to a 2mb custom partition on the NVR, and I would assume the NVR overloads the main firmware like a patch. I think this has succeeded, but I dont know how to validate what it actually changed. I would be interested to know if others see the rtsp steam = custom option under onvif on a stock NVR. As well as this thread I have also PMd a forum member with experience in firmware hacking to ask for help in seeing what is in this image.

menvier

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny enough I've been trying to get some Unifi cameras (via rtsp) on a brand new Dahua NVR today and yes the custom option is there on the ONVIF tab. Needless to say I couldn't get it to work. Best I could do was getting a camera to go online but no images, just a black screen using Pelco as the manufacturer. Going to try a hikvision nvr tomorrow and see what that can do. And checking within my personal Dahua NVR it still has the option to select Customized on the manufacturer tab and input the stream address, but that will be on older firmware.

antus

n3wb
Reaction score
I found patches for other firmwares and a doc file describing that it does restore the custom option like we wanted here. Index of /Firmware/Rejestratory/NVR/RTSP fix
Those ones are a set of patches for different models and do include the 5xxx nas as well. I tried the 4xxx one on mine, it installed but no change. I havn't factory reset it or anything to see if I can make the changes stick. Now that I have my cam working on onvif/custom I think I'll stop here as I dont want to brick my nas with too much experimentation, but hopefully these are helpful to someone.

Last edited:

menvier

n3wb
Reaction score
Nice find. I will try it tomorrow as I have 4 nvrs I need this to work with and it will save me a whole lot of time if it works. Cheers.

menvier

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I tried on a 5 series 16 way and it added the custom tab but it didn't like it. It would only accept 1 cam on rtsp at the lowest stream and dropping frames. Tried a hikvision nvr with no problems at highest stream. So basically dahua and rtsp is a no go now.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Such a shame, why limit one to only using branded cameras when RTSP gives you alot more choice!