Dahua H2.65 IPC-HFW4431R-Z 2.8mm ~12mm

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just had another thought... I have IVS enabled with 2 tripwires, so that I know when the cars drove past. Maybe it just does not have enough processing power to handle it, as I was reading that original Chinese firmware did not have it enabled
One of my Chinese market Dahua went ape poopies when I enabled IVS. I'm thinking they're not supposed to have it.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use the latest Mod firmware from @cor35vet

I've mirrored a copy here: Index of /DAHUA/MODFIRMWARE/EOS/

Either set your DNS to 1.0.0.1 or use your router to block it from talking to the Internet.
(Even with false DNS entries, it still calls home to it's hard coded IP addresses for easy4ip even when disabled....bug in the official Dahua firmware.

IVS should be fine, I have no issues with the one I have using 2 trips but I wouldn't push it too hard as a lot of CPU time is still being wasted on easy4ip.

Hopefully @cor35vet will throw up another firmware soon that has the Dahua bug fixes. :)

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Use the latest Mod firmware from @cor35vet

I've mirrored a copy here: Index of /DAHUA/MODFIRMWARE/EOS/

Either set your DNS to 1.0.0.1 or use your router to block it from talking to the Internet.
(Even with false DNS entries, it still calls home to it's hard coded IP addresses for easy4ip even when disabled....bug in the official Dahua firmware.

IVS should be fine, I have no issues with the one I have using 2 trips but I wouldn't push it too hard as a lot of CPU time is still being wasted on easy4ip.

Hopefully @cor35vet will throw up another firmware soon that has the Dahua bug fixes. :)
The camera came with version of firmware, so I did not update it. The camera was restarting all day today but stabilized in the evening - maybe its CPU was running too hot. Yet it was still restarted while I was making changes to it. It was also constantly not showing the image but showing limited resources message instead.
What I have done for tomorrow, I set it to reboot in the morning and disabled all the smarts except for the motion detection. Not sure if MD works or not but once IVS was disabled the camera settings became heaps more responsive. Lets see what tomorrow will bring. All I needed IVS for was to see when something has changed, as I record 24/7

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The camera came with version of firmware, so I did not update it. The camera was restarting all day today but stabilized in the evening - maybe its CPU was running too hot. Yet it was still restarted while I was making changes to it. It was also constantly not showing the image but showing limited resources message instead.
What I have done for tomorrow, I set it to reboot in the morning and disabled all the smarts except for the motion detection. Not sure if MD works or not but once IVS was disabled the camera settings became heaps more responsive. Lets see what tomorrow will bring. All I needed IVS for was to see when something has changed, as I record 24/7
Set your DNS to 1.0.0.1 and restart.

See how it behaves then otherwise block it from the Internet and test.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Set your DNS to 1.0.0.1 and restart.

See how it behaves then otherwise block it from the Internet and test.
I am not sure how would it be able to connect to the internet... The camera is plugged in to nvr5216-16p-4ks2 POE port. I cannot get to it from my PC on home network, so I don't think it would be able to access the internet as well.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am not sure how would it be able to connect to the internet... The camera is plugged in to nvr5216-16p-4ks2 POE port. I cannot get to it from my PC on home network, so I don't think it would be able to access the internet as well.
Shouldn't be an issue then but go through and turn off everything that isn't needed within the cameras.

Ask also the 52xx has known issues with IVS...

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shouldn't be an issue then but go through and turn off everything that isn't needed within the cameras.

Ask also the 52xx has known issues with IVS...
Yeah, did just that. Do you know how motion detection works and if it works OK? Say, can I use those little squares to draw an area of interest and if there is movement from one little square to the next, will it detect as an event? I was also reading before that you should not use squares right next to each other to avoid false positives, but that was for HIK cams.
Any tips?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I am somehow managed to get motion detect to work, but now I need your help to find out what is wrong with my day time image =(
I was worried about night time, so spend a lot of time trying to tweak things, which works well for LPR purpose, except for the faded plates without reflective coating
Works well:
plate3.JPG

Bad plates after playing with post processing
plate5.JPG

But my main concern, which I discovered just now - afternoon image is crap!
plate6.JPG

What exposure should I be setting it to? You can see sections of blurred pixels in the corners and even though the road appears to be in focus (that happens all day long), but you cannot read the plates or see faces after about 4 PM =(
people.JPG

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My uneducated opinion is that your shutter speed is too slow. The road is in focus because it doesn't move.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My uneducated opinion is that your shutter speed is too slow. The road is in focus because it doesn't move.
It was set to auto, so dont really know what shutter speed it was. Is 1/500 OK to have all day long?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
500 was too bright during the day.
Ended up switching to night mode at around 4pm

foxden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Скорость затвора в 500 подходит только если автомобиль двигается со скоростью 20 км\ч чем выше скорость тем больше задержка. Оптимально для определения номеров и отсутствия засветки 2000.
"The possibility of setting a fixed value of the electronic shutter (1/500 - for speeds up to 40 km / h, 1/1000 - up to 80 km / h, 1/2000 sec-160 km / h)" Optimum for the definition of numbers and the absence of light. 2000.

Last edited:

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Скорость затвора в 500 подходит только если автомобиль двигается со скоростью 20 км\ч чем выше скорость тем больше задержка. Оптимально для определения номеров и отсутствия засветки 2000.
"The possibility of setting a fixed value of the electronic shutter (1/500 - for speeds up to 40 km / h, 1/1000 - up to 80 km / h, 1/2000 sec-160 km / h)" Optimum for the definition of numbers and the absence of light. 2000.
For night time - 2000 is unrealistic unless you have tons of light. Mine is zoomed in to the max, so IR is somewhat limited.
My question was more around the hours just before the sunset. 500 was to bright to keep during the day, but was OK in the evening.
In the end I just moved the day>night time transition to an hour earlier with IR set to smart

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the turret model # of this?
nvm - IPC-HDW4431EM-AS

completely different from starlight series

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello Sergey, I have the same camera as you. What settings did you use to capture the plates at night. I'm having same pixelation issues as you but you got it to be smooth. What's the trick? Thank you.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Sergey, I have the same camera as you. What settings did you use to capture the plates at night. I'm having same pixelation issues as you but you got it to be smooth. What's the trick? Thank you.
Zoom on max, IR manual to 100, Exposure on manual - 1/500, gain - 50, 3D NR - ON, grade - 25
You will not be able to see anything else though and if I was buying a camera for LPR purpose now, I would have paid more for the starlight series one - this 4431R just does not capture enough light and requires IR blaster for the tricky plates

ITHelpMe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Zoom on max, IR manual to 100, Exposure on manual - 1/500, gain - 50, 3D NR - ON, grade - 25
You will not be able to see anything else though and if I was buying a camera for LPR purpose now, I would have paid more for the starlight series one - this 4431R just does not capture enough light and requires IR blaster for the tricky plates
Thanks Sergey, I spent hours trying to tweak the settings. The settings I have now captures the rear plates clearly, but the fronts are either blurry or too dark. I will try your specific settings tonight but I think this camera isn't very good at 12mm for my specific distance. I just bought IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 which has 35mm varifocal and will be used as dedicated LPR as it seems members in this community got best results from this specific camera. I also bought Dahua SD49225T-HN for general purpose. I wonder if all Starlight cameras can read license plate at their default settings with ease. I never worked with Starlights before so I'm eager to test that technology. Thank you.

fd3

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought one just to try and was impressed, then purchased another 2, and now waiting on another 4 to arrive from China/Aliexpress.
It beats my Hikvision 4mp f1.4 2.8-12mm HIK-2CD1H41WDIZ. Even though on paper the Hikvision matches up to the Starlight in Low Light Performance the Dahua beats it and is 1/3 of the price.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought one just to try and was impressed, then purchased another 2, and now waiting on another 4 to arrive from China/Aliexpress.
It beats my Hikvision 4mp f1.4 2.8-12mm HIK-2CD1H41WDIZ. Even though on paper the Hikvision matches up to the Starlight in Low Light Performance the Dahua beats it and is 1/3 of the price.
neither the hikvision or this dahua are starlights...and dont match the starlight specs..