Dahua IPC-HFW4421D-AS Audio 4MP HD WDR Network LXIR Bullet

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
shrug, it seems to me to be a 3-wire stranded aluminum.. perhaps 18awg.. I dont keep anything with aluminum (silver) wires for use, copper only.

if you need a good, easy to obtain wire for hooking up alarm sensors.. I am fond of thermostat wire, its solid copper.. every local hardware store has some, its cheap, you can get it in 3/5/7 strand and its thicker than ethernet (18awg vs 24awg)

Last edited by a moderator:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
here is a pix of me hooking up the audio inputs, you'll want a PoE 12v splitter like this to power a PiR motion senosr.. but yeah it'll work just fine.. I have an Optex PIR hooked to my big black face dahua's alarm inputs and it works GREAT.
Where did u get that poe splitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how you liking that motion sensor? no false positives?
I do have some issues some hours during the day if the sun is hot and its windy but it was to be expected at the location i have it. 70% of the picture is of a big bush and when wind and sun hits it the PIR senses it. I didnt get the PIR for daylight sensing thought but for night when its bug time. With the foscams i had before i could see spiders climbing on the lens, night butterflies and other bugs tripping alarm. With the PIR active 80% of the time and intrusion/tripwire the rest 20% it works good. Need another week to finetune things and see if i get any falses.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it has an internal relay, no need for another one.. iirc, when you enable the alarm output it will apply a ground to it.. so hook the positive wire up to the strobe, the negative wire to the camera.. it'll connect ground when you enable the output.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it has an internal relay, no need for another one.. iirc, when you enable the alarm output it will apply a ground to it.. so hook the positive wire up to the strobe, the negative wire to the camera.. it'll connect ground when you enable the output.
I see, thanks for the fast reply !

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ive been wanting to try that one out, its not a dual sensor as in it does not do microwave.. which is something I am keen on outdoors, but it appears to pretty damn well without it..

I am probably going to get one and put it in pet corridor mode on the wall under my camera.. it should detect anyoen approaching my front door reliably, without falsing for pets.. thats one of the next things I'll be doing.
I bought one of those from that exact Amazon listing. It's been pretty much 100% accurate at night, but after a few months I noticed that at a certain time of day, for a period of 2-3 hours, it goes off like 10 times an hour. I don't know for sure why but I think it's light/shade reflecting off the deck or my car. It happens consistently during the same hours each day. I had to turn off motion recording during those hours. PIR sensitivity is set to low.

Another annoying thing with that PIR is it doesn't come with a mount. I had to pay for an overpriced mount that fits it.

I was also wondering if you ever tried face recognition on this camera? I have an HIKvision that claims to do face recognition but it was apparently removed in a later firmware version because it was too slow. It also claims to do line crossing detection but it works like crap, detecting all sorts of random wind motion as crossing, even missing a person crossing the way it should detect and then detecting the same person crossing the opposite way when it shouldn't detect (tried flipping direction which didn't help).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i could not get FD to work at all, but line cross has been pretty reliable.. every once and a while a big ass moth will fly in just the right path to set it off... but its never missed me walking across it

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got a problem. Everytime i cut power or reeboot to the camera and power up again i get old settings. Even the network adress is the old one (.108).
I thought it was a browser cacheproblem first so i set it to delete all history/temp on close but that wasnt it. I will try and format the sdcard in the camera. If that does not work i dont know. Sure i can export settings and import them again but if the power is cut when i am not at home or the camera reboots. :/

I have done a factory reset once. Or atlest the one that is under "default".

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Omg how is this possible. I opened the camera and did a hardreset. Logged in to the camera. Everything looked normal. Changed the ip from .108 to .112 pressed save.
Now the camera is all in chinese ??????.. whyyyyyyyyyyy.. Chinese is a different firmware how can it change...

*edit*

Oh well, i installed google transle to IE11 (only browser that seems to support the plugins) and now i can atlest read what i am doing. Still i am not certain how it could become chinese. I did forget to pull the network cable when doing the reset if that somehow downloaded a firmware of the net but it seems farfetched to me.. Hopefully this chinese version still is usuable with the phone app.....

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
reach out to your vendor and see if they even respond.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
wow.maybe talk to the seller?
reach out to your vendor and see if they even respond.
Yeah mayby getting the FW file will fix it, the camera atleast seems to hold settings now. If it works as it should beside the chinese i dont mind that much anyway.. Google translate toolbar is mostly accurate so changing settings is no problem really. Most important is that the gdmss works as that is what i will use mostly.

Reaction score
Is there a junction box for this camera? Dahua has some small round boxes but it doesn't look like the holes will match up.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone wondering. I did some googl:ing and i found several others that had reset the camera and ended up with chinese. So dont do a hard reset unless you really have to ;)

Still waiting for response from seller about FW.

Btw, the camera works fine now except the chinese but i can live with that. Does anyone know how the missing object works ?
I want to know if my car gets stolen/drives off. I mean its not parked pixelperfect at the same spot everytime, will it still work ? :)

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone wondering. I did some googl:ing and i found several others that had reset the camera and ended up with chinese. So dont do a hard reset unless you really have to ;)

Still waiting for response from seller about FW.

Btw, the camera works fine now except the chinese but i can live with that. Does anyone know how the missing object works ?
I want to know if my car gets stolen/drives off. I mean its not parked pixelperfect at the same spot everytime, will it still work ? :)

Did u hook up the strobe lights to the alarm input yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats very disheartening, I suspect the vendor purchased Chinese language cameras.. then modified the translation/language file with an english one.. when you hard reset it, you likely wiped that modification out and it reverted to Chinese.

I've encountered many Chinese language Dahua's on the market, but it appears that someone's figured out how to get in and modify the running firmware.. Unless this secret is revealed I dont think you'll have much luck returning it to English.

Thanks for being the poor bastard to reveal this to us, glad it was'nt me :p