Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sure, presuming you can supply power for the PIR

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sure, presuming you can supply power for the PIR
Cool.u mentioned motion alerts within cam webpage settings is no good.like bugs flying in front of cam or tree shadows.i totally agree lol.with pir sensor is it much better? and can send email notify like motion setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
here is the configuration screen for a camera with an Alarm Input, gives you an idea of what it can do when its triggered.

*note* this screenshot is not from the Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ, its from another camera with AlarmIO and IVS.

Attachments

Reaction score
why PTZ if it needs to stay motionless?
Well, we are installing cameras to bird nests, so everything happens in trees. Most of the installations are at least 15 meters from the ground and ~2 meters away from the trunk (in a camera box), thus angle/image is very hard to adjust manually. We wouldn't like to disturb nesting birds with any kind of extra distractions like PTZ self-test or sounds :) I guess I need to order this camera and decide if it matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
in that case put your PoE switch on a battery UPS and it wont be rebooting for no reason.. mine's been rock solid, no crashes and restarts or anything.

its fairly quiet for a PTZ when it does move, I can hear my big black face dahua move inside the house.. but its high speed and those motors really crank up when it does a 180.. I also have a mini pan/tilt camera that makes grinding noises because it uses gears instead of belts, my son can hear me moving it in his room when the TV is off.. this mini-black face dahua uses belts, so the sound is more of a whir and it is far more audible through the built in mic than it is externally.

however its not dead silent, if you had to make infrequent adjustments to the FOV it'd disturb nobody.. the click from the IR cut is likely to be louder when it switches to/from black and white.. tho I cant say I've heard it on this camera, but in my experience its quite noticeable if you are near enough.. from 2m away both the noise of the PTZ moving and the IR cut click will be hard to notice unless its dead silent or they got better hearing than I think.

most animals adapt, so with time I doubt the noise would disturb even the most picky birds.. its not shiny like a dome camera, so they should leave it alone.. if you see them attacking it its probably the glass lens so change the view so it stops reflecting light into the nest.. id try to mount it to the southern side of the nest looking northerly so this is never a problem... but that might not always be an option.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased a Dahua 4X Speed Dome because of this thread. I appreciate Nayr for his review, which made the decision of buying this camera an easy one.

Purchased from here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Dahua-MINI-PTZ-4x-optical-zoom-IR-Distance-up-to-30m-SD29204S-GN-with-LOGO/32659611002.html for $169.19 shipped via mobile app. Buyer has the option of DHL, Fedex, or UPS all of which are included in the purchase price. (Although that can change at any time.)

(included a pic side by side with a Huisun/Improx Mini PTZ for those curious about the size)

Order was placed on 05/06/16 shipped through DHL wrapped in the DHL cardboard envelope with brown tape.
Ship Date 05/10/16
Received 05/12/16 (6 days to receive from the order date is pretty awesome!)

It is currently indoors. I've tested it and I am very pleased with its performance and features. Image quality is very nice both day and night. I can post some samples once I get this thing mounted outside.
Thanks nayr and ilrider78, I used the same guy that ilrider used to purchase the camera. I ordered on Thursday 5/19 and received it on Monday 5/23 via DHL. I hooked it up to my switch and played with the PTZ controls to make sure it works. It moves good and has a great picture. In the few minutes of playing with it i noticed it lose connection for a few seconds. It does get warm so I'll need to be mindful of where I mount this camera.

Thanks guys I'm going to enjoy this camera.

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

just one question on the alarm I/O.

Is it possible to configure the cam to record 10 seconds before the alarm-input is activated, while the alarm is and 20 seconds after the alarm-input is deactivated? i.e. the alarm-input is activated on 04:30:20 and deactivated on 04:31:25 o'clock. The cam should record from 04:30:10 to 04:31:45.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
again, this camera does not have alarm IO.. but for pre-record longer than 5s, you need a NVR. the cameras will only pre-record up to 5s tops, they can record for up to 5mins after an event..

My Dahua 4216-4k can pre-record up to 30s, and post record up to 15mins

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My question is not espacially about the SD29204S-GN. Should i start a new thread?

5s for prerecord ist enough. If the postrecord is configured as 20s. What happens if the alarm input is actiavted für 15s? Will the cam record 15s while the alarm input is active and additional 20s? Or will it just record 20s? And if the alarm input is active for 2mins it will record only 20s or 2mins and 20s?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might be best to create a new thread as not to confuse people looking for details on this cam specifically, would hate someone to wonder where the alarm inputs are at :)

You have 2 settings, anti-dither and record delay..

Anti-Dither is the absolute minimum time the alarm will be active for, so an anti-dither of 30s would mean every trigger of the alarm will last for at least 30s, if the alarm is active longer it will go longer until it is restored, but it will not be less than the anti-dither.. think of this as like a debounce, so a PIR triggering 3 times in short succession will only register as one.

Then record delay is how many seconds after the alarm has ended that it will continue recording..

so, lets presume I have: Anti-Dither = 30 & Alarm-Delay = 30.. no pre-record (for simplicity's sake)

An event lasting between 0.1-30s will record 60s of video
An event lasting 60s will record 90s of video
An event lasting 500s will record 530s of video.

One really great use for alarm inputs is on indoor cams, when my alarm system is armed it triggers an alarm input on my NVR.. and all indoor cameras start recording, when system is disarmed they all stop recording.. dont have to worry about recording my wife topless or me pantless.

springheal

n3wb
Reaction score
I like your sense of humor nayr!

Earlier this week, I received the sn29204s-gn. Setup was straight forward with no issues except for getting the audio detect just right (motion detect is spot on). Have had false activation's from a bird chirping and passing buses with audio detect. The sensitivity and threshold settings are touchy but I just need to find the best option. Currently, both are on 45 so nearing the middle of the scale.

The night vision is fantastic which was the main reason I went for this model. Bloody good camera.

kende

n3wb
Reaction score
They should all be english, pal/ntsc does only apply to analouge cameras.. ive got a cluster fuck of cameras that are PAL.. but IIRC this camera has option for NTSC and PAL, the only difference is a lil better resolution of sub streams in exchange for 25fps max instead of 30fps max.

comes with nothing but the camera..
Is it only the Sub Stream that is effected by the NTSC/PAL format difference or the Main Stream as well? I'm quite new to this. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
only impact to main stream is 25fps (PAL) vs 30fps (NTSC), resolutions are the same.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Refresh rates are also changed in PAL cameras. Everything else being equal (it isn't always), PAL cams will have very slightly more blur on moving objects at night. Instead of 1/30th exposure, the PAL equivalent is 1/25th. Slight advantage in static scenes but slight disadvantage freezing moving targets. There may also be some slight flicker under 60hz lighting but I've personally had zero issues under fluorescent lighting with a couple of "PAL" IP cams in a number of locations. Truth be told, I've had more issues with NTSC cams under 60hz lighting. The biggest issue I see is if installing PAL cams for a business. It might leave room for criticism afterwards even if there are no performance issues. Analog cams used to have huge incompatibilities but now with IP they're virtually unnoticeable.

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nayr, thanks for the tip about this camera on my other wide angle cam thread. I will need to read through this whole thread. I do have a couple covered locations where I can use this. The auto tracking feature is pretty impressive. Mini PTZ can't do this! :D

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Today I ordered this camera on Aliexpress. I also ordered the two mounting bracket accessories to go with the camera, all from Glory Triumph Technology. Jim Wong is the sales person I talked to. The camera has free shipping but the two accessories have shipping charge. I messaged the company about bundling the two accessories and ship with the camera together. Jim Wong replied and told me to order all three without paying the order, and he will adjust the price (take out shipping accessory shipping). There was also a sale (12% off) for the camera last week but when I ordered it had already expired. I asked and Jim Wong gave me the sale price ($161) during the adjustment. Total cost including the mounting accessories and shipping was $189.

After I ordered, Jim told me the accessories are on back order. He said he will ship out the camera first. So much for bundling the items to ship together. He didn't charge me extra for shipping the items separately.

Links to:
Camera
PFB302S
PFA103

KevinV916

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of these from the same store as ilrider78 and camsmith on 6/1. Checked shipment status on 6/4 and got a reply from Andy Wong saying that Dahua is having a problem on "one part of the board so dahua stop production till the parts perfect". I just got another reply from him saying that there is a big delay on the camera due to a bug and duhua has stopped production until it's fixed. He's willing to refund if I want.

Has anyone heard or experienced any issues? Just wanted to check before ordering from another store.

springheal

n3wb
Reaction score
My order was May 9 with no delays. Have had the camera installed outside (under cover) and everything is working as expected with no bugs/issues.

One minor issue I have is fog looks like it is raining/snowing outside which is triggering false activation. Have a look: