Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple of questions about this camera.

Looking at the specs it shows: 5.22" x 4.58"
Is this a correct dimension?
This 2015 article about the camera from Dahua calls it part of their , "2-inch network PTZ line".?
It looks bigger than 2" in any direction.
http://www.securityworldhotel.com/int/News/Product-News/dahua-releases-2-inch-network-mini-ptz-camera-series#.V_V44cArKcM

Is the FOV really 2.7mm (Angle of View H: 112.5° ~ 39° according to their specs)?

It says it has Pan: 0° ~ 360° Does this mean it can spin 360 indefinitely or does it mean it can cover 360 deg but then you would still have to pan back the other direction?

How far out are the IRs effective when zoomed?

@nayre, how do the images \ video compare to your "the big black face"?
Those dimensions look correct w/out actually going out and measuring it.. its definitely not 2in, perhaps they were talking about the lens/zoom mechanism's size.

yes it seems to be 2.7mm, in the attached capture the front porch lamp on the left to the tree on the right is pretty much a perfect 90 degree angle.. you can notice a bit of fisheye ness to soffit above.

it does not spin indefinitely, it will halt when it gets to the rear and go back the other way.

the IR could be better at full zoom but its not weak, if you leave it at full power and zoom out it'll likely wash out anyone's face nearby.. my scene is well lit and far from total darkness even if I turn off all my security lights.

The image quality is identical to my big black face, day or night.. the black face has more powerful IR however so in certain situations it appears better but thats just lighting.. The biggest differences are obviously the levels of zoom and the speed... slower PTZ's can get a bit annoying when using manual control but if your firing off presets it works fine and has never drifted on me.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thx
So, I saw a previous poster mentioned a new model# \ version is out now. SD29204T-GN
I checked the Dahua site. The SD29204T-GN is listed and your model# SD29204S-GN is no longer on the site.
http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/sd29204t-gn-3781.html

A quick scan, ( I did not read every detail) seems to be the same except the sensor now says 1\2.7 vs 1\2.8. Not sure how much of a difference that could make.

I think "[FONT=&quot]IVS(Optional)" is new too...not sure since the page for the specs on the 'S' are not there any more.

Any reason NOT to buy the newer model if found for similar price you think?

[/FONT]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect the original sensors used in mine have dried up due to an earthquake earlier this year @ the sony manufacturing facilities... as a result many new models been appearing much like the old ones but with non-sony exmor sensors.

The image quality may not be identical to what you've seen so far in this thread, particularly at night.

it does appear that IVS is included in the T model

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would have to take it apart to be sure, but I believe its an IMX322 or simuliar.. those 2.7's are a Chinese made CCD, I forget who, mebe Ambarella or someone else.. Dahua is not very sharing of the ccd details.

personally I'd rather have a Japanese made sensor than a Chinese, if it was an option... same with batteries, cars, or anything really.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I guess we may never know...but a different CCD I think could really mean a completely different quality image experience, right?

So the T has IVS (Tripwire, Intrusion, Abandoned Object Detection, Missing Object Detection)
That would be nice.
What does the 'S' have feature wise for motion detection?
I saw no reference to it in the spec sheet at all.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes a different sensor could mean really different image quality experience, would depend on what they put in there.. I suspect its cheaper because the price of these new models is $20 less than the S was on average.. from what I seen the sony exmor sensor it has in it is one of the better cheap low light sensors avilable, few others were on the same level so I dunno.. It would make me hesitate until I saw some sample video out of it.

Mine just has basic motion detection and audio detection, no intelligent options.. see screenshots on page1

JoLynn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been directed to this thread by nayr recommending this camera over another I was interested in buying but was far less suitable, (Hikvision too much zoom and noisy fan)
Anyway I have found two UK retailers with stock, one has the "T" version the other the "S" As it is the weekend I cannot speak to them but as said above the "S" version is more money. I am tempted to go for this one having read the reviews but would also like the IVS functions. Perhaps I should buy both then write a comparison! unless anyone can post if there is much difference in picture quality.

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just got my mini black face from the link nayr provided. I mounted it under a 1 foot soffit, hopefully it survives. I'm running a hikvision 7608 nvr. Ptz controls are touchy, will continue to move until you stop it if you click a button quickly, hold the button longer then it stops when you let go. Only problem is whenever I call a preset from the nvr, it stops motion recording. The camera needs to be rebooted in order for it to start motion recording again. If I can't figure it out I'll swap it out for the darkfighter I just picked up.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just got my mini black face from the link nayr provided. I mounted it under a 1 foot soffit, hopefully it survives. I'm running a hikvision 7608 nvr. Ptz controls are touchy, will continue to move until you stop it if you click a button quickly, hold the button longer then it stops when you let go. Only problem is whenever I call a preset from the nvr, it stops motion recording. The camera needs to be rebooted in order for it to start motion recording again. If I can't figure it out I'll swap it out for the darkfighter I just picked up.

Imthought you you can't mix and match camera brands and NVR if you want all the features and ptz to work well, no?

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah not the best idea to mix and match but basic functions usually work from my experience, including ptz, just not stuff like line cross. I've run hikvision ptz's on a dahua nvr without any problems. Anyways, the black face was a little too exposed to the elements so I didn't feel comfortable. I swapped it out for the darkfighter, I like it much better than the longse low light destroyer with it's basic firmware. Now I need to find a place for the black face.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@hamsoplo Which darkfighter model are you referencing specifically?
Do you have any night images\videos of that cam posted we could look at for reference?

Last edited by a moderator:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So for the heck of it I decided to ask Dahua what their "American" version model of this camera is.
They gave me model#: SD29A204SN-GN
So, just the 'A' difference.

From Dahua Sales Support:
---------------------
As far as the model number, Dahua is in North America and we have a brandedmodel of: SD29A204SN-GN: http://dahuawiki.com/USA/IPCamera/PTZ/Lite/DH_SD29A204SN_GN
-----------------------

Googling that model I'm finding a cost of min $383 (jmac) to $644+ (newegg)!

Wow...I'm not a big fan of doing the direct chinese aliexpress ordering gamble but how can you really justify the upcost? What all are you really getting for that extra $$?
Supposedly easier to deal with 3 yr warranty and maybe different firmware?
Is the camera and functionality any different at all?

Where is a "safe" reliable place to buy the Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN) that someone has ordered from before lately?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, I found the AliExpress link a couple of you used in previous posts....Was ordering...added my info, but then it redirected to 0eaf.cardinalcommerce.com where the page wanted some of the card info again and the last 4 of my S.S.?!

Anyone else asked for that when ordering on Ali?
Just seemed unusual to me.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds very odd. My brakes would squeal when the website gets forwarded to a new domain. I never give out last 4 numbers of ss. maybe try paying with paypal instead, good protection too.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I found the AliExpress link a couple of you used in previous posts....Was ordering...added my info, but then it redirected to 0eaf.cardinalcommerce.com where the page wanted some of the card info again and the last 4 of my S.S.?!

Anyone else asked for that when ordering on Ali?
Just seemed unusual to me.
the payment page is likely to be a subdomain of alipay.com, what you got is a scam for sure. I don't know exactly what link you followed, it could be a bad link or it could be malware on your computer or even on your router.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, MasterCard flagged it as fraud right away and stopped my purchase attempt. So After about an hour on the phone with multiple people at MasterCard, I was finally able to place the order....Here's hoping a dozen new unauthorized purchases don't start showing up now...:rolleyes:

Just wish these and other cameras were available from reputable U.S. sights AND at a reasonable price.

Dahua gave me a list of all U.S. authorized vendors and those that listed this cam wanted between $383-$600+ for this same camera which was $160 through Ali.

I'm willing to pay up for "american" firmware and warranty and such....but not that much.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, MasterCard flagged it as fraud right away and stopped my purchase attempt
Exactly what link did you follow? If there's a bad link the mods would probably like to delete it.

As I said earlier malware on your computer could also be responsible for redirecting you to the fraud site. Power cycle your router and run a scan with https://www.malwarebytes.com/

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No malware here...company computer.. It is constantly scanned and monitored.
I used the link in the previous posts.
After calling and clearing the fraud...big hassle but I guess it's not meant to be easy to be sure it is legit...Then the same site link went right through for the purchase.
Now if only the cam would actually ship....Checked today and there is like a 4 day date\hour processing count down.