Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

JohnCena

n3wb
Reaction score
If you call it that. It was either ship it back (and pay shipping to do so) or take a $40 refund via paypal and keep the camera, so I kept it since that's roughly a $200 camera for $120. It's still sitting in the box though as I believe I am going to just sell it and pick up the proper one with POE just so I can run off the NVR it was intended for vs. having another power supple and a few injectors crammed into an already full cabinet. They sent me the proper NTSC firmware as well.
Do you think this was just a mixup on the part of the seller? Or is the non-POE version the only one they're selling? I want to pick up the POE version too, sometime. That sale seems like it would be a good time, but not sure if that seller would be good if they're messing up orders all the time.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think this was just a mixup on the part of the seller? Or is the non-POE version the only one they're selling? I want to pick up the POE version too, sometime. That sale seems like it would be a good time, but not sure if that seller would be good if they're messing up orders all the time.
I believe it was a true mixup. They have sold to many POE versions and have to good of feedback for this to be a reoccuring mistake.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been testing mine for a few days...I'd say it "feels" like it runs pretty hot. I checked with one of those temp guns and it was 117 deg F (indoors approx. 67 deg ambient surrounding temp with no IR on).
Is that normal? Anyone else measured their camera temps?
Also has sort of a faint burning wire smell...maybe all new cams have that? Not sure as this is my first "real" camera.
Thoughts or experiences?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cameras run pretty hot, thats typical.. and you might be smelling the belt/motors as they get broken in; dont worry too much if its performing fine.. bench test it nice and well until your confident its fine.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Which sellers are you guys buying from on Ali? Looks like the camera linked in the first page will go on sale on the 11th. Looks like it's the newer SD29204T-GN now? I'd love to grab 2 of them. Dahua SD29204T GN 2Mp Network Mini IR PTZ Dome IP Speed Dome 4x optical zoom English Firmware Freee Shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I bought from here Took a few weeks but no issues.
It appears to be on the 11:11 sale for $152.88

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua SD29204T GN 2Mp Network Mini IR PTZ Dome IP Speed Dome 4x optical zoom English Firmware Freee Shipping from Reliable ptz dome suppliers on Glory Triumph Technology

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How you liking it so far? I'm waiting on the sale to buy 2 of them. Oh, and if you don't mind, whats the diameter on the base? 4.5" inch?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Only tested in the basement on a bench so far. Have not played w settings. Decent indoor image daylight/night so far with default settings.
This is my first cam so a lot of other people here would be better suited to give you an opinion on this camera.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm double checking where I'm placing these cameras. Rain shouldn't be much of a problem but what is the weakspot on this model? Maybe I could add a bit of extra protection from the elements. Weather here in NYC isn't too bad. I rarely ever see fog or serious rain.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm double checking where I'm placing these cameras. Rain shouldn't be much of a problem but what is the weakspot on this model? Maybe I could add a bit of extra protection from the elements. Weather here in NYC isn't too bad. I rarely ever see fog or serious rain.
The top/mounting surface. For mine mounted outside, I fill all of the gaps with silicone just in case.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
SD29204T-GN has poe, night vision and not not waterproof.
-W no poe, has nightvision and not waterproof too. If you can protect it far away from the rain, then no problem, or else can't work, camera will die soon.

mcorzine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just got the DH-SD29204S-GN in today, started playing with it. Really nice camera. I'm struggling with IR though. Is there a way to manually turn it on? I've only seen the red LED's on once since I've been playing. Moved it to a pitch black room hoping the lack of external light would trigger the sensor/software to turn them on but no luck yet. Any help here is appreciated.
So I was able to make the IR work temporarily, I'm not sure how though. I thought it was the length/quality of twisted pair but nope. Now I'm able to get the IR to turn on, but they won't brighten anything past the 3% setting. I'm looking for other user's suggestions or feedback of what may be wrong, what to look for, or what I'm screwing up. Up until now all of my cameras with IR are simply on/off based on a photocell.

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the T has a crappy sensor or no? Vendors telling me the T replaces the S and the S no longer available.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno; nobody's posted up any sample video from the T and im not going to buy it just to review it again..

They do have different sensors and I do believe the S is better than the T when it comes to image quality; but how much difference is it really? shrug.

Anyone with the T model; it'd be nice if you could upload some video to Youtube for us.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This one? SD29204T-GN? I ordered 2 of this and I'll put up a video when I get it. Hasn't shipped out yet.

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score
how did you fix that black face on to that plastic eave, I am in the same situation the plastic looks so fragile that drilling holes is simply not an option.

I am waiting for the wall mount brackets instead.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have plywood behind the plastic.. just drilled into it with some sheetrock screws.

clueless

n3wb
Reaction score
i have plywood behind the plastic.. just drilled into it with some sheetrock screws.
Aah Yes, I had all wood removed.

I have to say though, the clarity of image in this cam esp day is much better than the Turret 4meg.

ipnoob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have to say though, the clarity of image in this cam esp day is much better than the Turret 4meg.
Which turret? I've been trying to figure out exactly what makes seemingly higher resolution images lower quality.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More Megapixels Does Not Mean More Quality

in short it comes down to photon capturing ability; the more megapixels you try to cram into the same size sensor the worse its light gathering capabilities.. there are three choices to compensate: increase sensor size, decrease megapixels, increase sensor cost

You should see how shitty the 8MP Cameras do at night; ugh..