Dahua Mini Black Face PTZ (SD29204S-GN & SD29204T-GN)

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"I'd still buy my big black face dahua at its price point"
Which camera model is that you speak of?

How do you do day \ night automatic setting switching or the auto tracking with this camera?
I assume you are not using a standard NVR for any of this.
Are you using BI...or I guess something else since you mentioned OSX earlier.
(I'm still trying to decide btw dedicated brand cams with matching DVR or figuring out the whole BI or other setup, poe switch etc. to let me mix and match camera brands.)

Would love to see you do a nice thread on ALPR when you finish that project.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@fenderman very true.. but I do like parking my car under it.
@nbstl68, I provided a link but specifically its the: DH-SD59212S-HN

I am not using any NVR, at all, whatsoever.. I record 24/7/365 to a tiny lil server via FTP.. go find my thread in the home automation forum for details.

I just ordered my ALPR camera today, a IPC-HF5421E.. 4MP Dahua Box Camera and a cheap 60mm varifocal lens which I can replace with a 100mm, 120mm or even a motorized zoom if I need or want to.

kasperskie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm interested in this cam, but I really dislike the wall mounting bracket as it seems to make the total installation much bigger.

20151009113318.jpg

Does anyone know whether another bracket like this is available:

201505614806310.jpg

Or anyone who has a creative mounting idea ;) ?

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Heres where id mount the black faced camera. Not sure the camera.

I'm interested in this cam, but I really dislike the wall mounting bracket as it seems to make the total installation much bigger.

View attachment 8632

Does anyone know whether another bracket like this is available:

View attachment 8633

Or anyone who has a creative mounting idea ;) ?

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah a nice sturdy metal pole, that should work better than the 40 year old telephone pole I worked with last.

my big black face would perform really well right there, here is a video I made along time ago of mine:

There is a motion sensor and a contact switch wired directly to the alarm inputs so it knows when something is going on outside its normal view.. now I have many more sensors hooked up on all the doors/windows/mailbox that camera can see and it'll check out anything that sets them off instantly.. otherwise its got default idle preset for daytime and another for night time through my external logic

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd love to see you repeating the movements in a night setting with low or no light to see if you are just as easily personally identifiable in the dark.
I found the few cameras I've tried and returned had great day video but then I could nm ot I'd myself walking by at night.
Got any ni th t video samples with such movement for that or the mini cam from a similar distance?
Thx

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
That's what I was curious as well, even though by reading the spec, specifically sensor size and IR rating I can guess that it will not reach far, but up close it should do fine.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'll try to capture what your looking for, but I can assure you those problems wont be there.. We have early morning joggers who go right down the middle of the road long after all my exterior lighting has shut down, previous camera the'd look like a blurry ghost going by... now I get a nice crisp image that I can tell what brand of running clothes they have on.

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm curious if that camera will be able to take the Texas rain and heat.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would say outdoors with decent protection it'd be fine for most locations, but your pole mount location is really pushing that.. Its a great camera and the quality is very good, like every dahua Ive encountered.. but this was clearly designed to be an indoor counterpart to there black face PTZ line.

I cant make the call for you, but personally I wouldn't.. this is far to fine of a camera to ruin it with a sloppy install.. the'd of really made a killer universal PTZ if this was IP66, it is a shame.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would say outdoors with decent protection it'd be fine for most locations, but your pole mount location is really pushing that.. Its a great camera and the quality is very good, like every dahua Ive encountered.. but this was clearly designed to be an indoor counterpart to there black face PTZ line.

I cant make the call for you, but personally I wouldn't.. this is far to fine of a camera to ruin it with a sloppy install.. the'd of really made a killer universal PTZ if this was IP66, it is a shame.
@nayr - You got me hooked on the Mini PTZ. Looks very good and fairly affordable. Lack of ip66 is what is troubling. Would this be sufficient to protect the camera from elements?
I have this thing on the side of my house and i want to mount it right under neath it.
XPjIMDil.jpg
[h=2][/h]This is the side view of the location:
y2Tm71ol.jpg

it seems to be protected from direct exposure to elements and its going to be in between 2 3 story buildings. My passage is about 75 feet in length and current 4mp LTS with 4mm lens is not able to reach that far enough. I want to mount this ptz towards the front so that it will monitor my garden and hose reel that will be attached to the black plastic holder in the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it has a nice recessed ledge there that should force it to drip off before coming back up to your camera.. I'd say yeah it should work pretty well right there if you push it up against the wall.. looks like wind could be an issue every once and a while so try a thin foam gasket around the edge to seal it all off.. someone posted some putty in another thread for stucco that does not harden, that would probably work really well for keeping anything from draining in from the top.

Might tape a piece of paper to the underside and wait for a bit of rain, if the paper is still dry you know your camera will be.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
good idea on paper testing. will try that. If i push it up against the wall would it interfer with movement of the camera? i was going to mount it few inches from the wall to get a better angle of view as well. I can use silicone to seal it, don't think it hardens either

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well not so close it makes physical contact with anything.. just so you have the most overhang protection you can provide it.. its pretty non-interference design, the base is larger than the moving parts..

if you look down mostly the IR wont reflect off the rest of the roof.. but if you want to look straight out with that ledge you might want to craft a spacer to bring it down a little bit, perhaps just a thick round junction box.. then you could silicon it to the junction box and put a cable gland on it.. basically making your own waterproof top.. use a metal one and paint it white, would still look pretty damn attractive.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can this PTZ view "above the horizon" to any extent?...Not sure what that is technically called...I understand many PTZs cannot "look up" degree wise..not that I need to see birds in the sky but thinking of a location on the front of the house where the road & homes across the street are a bit up hill from that angle.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, but it can look straight out and zoom in at horizon, so the middle of the frame is in the horizon.. mine see's skies, roofs and treetops of the houses up the hill..

karmadhi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I like this camera too, installed 5 pcs on different locations and all of them work fine, but unfortunately the camera is indoor only. It's small and it looks good on indoor space. Nevertheless it's a good solution when your costumers wants one of those "fancy cameras that zoom, rotate and pan...", but no willing to pay much. I get them for $179 here in USA (dealer price), from my supplier. I think end user price is like $270.