Dahua NVR, looking for options, opinions, etc.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have worked with Blue Iris in the past and while it did work for me, I don't want to recommend a BI install to someone that is looking for a standalone/NVR style system (something that you'd see at Sam's/Costco).

I have been looking at UNV and Dahua (NVRs and IP Cameras). The plan is to use the same brand camera as the NVR that I go with. I've never worked with dedicated NVRs, I've always built my system with a dedicated PC and used VMS software, which is why I'm here asking about Dahua NVRs. I'm not saying everything below is a must have, but I'm trying to future proof the system as best I can while keeping an eye on cost.

• 16 camera system, this includes some overhead, most of the locations I'd recommend this type of system to have anywhere from 8-12 cameras.
  • 4k compatible, there may be some 4k cameras, but I do want to make sure the system is 4k ready since there is a chance that some of the existing 1080p cameras may be replaced with 4k cameras. I realize that in some scenarios, 1080p will win depending on what needs to be captured.
  • HDMI out for a local/live view.
  • Analytics/AI, the current systems don't have that, but this seems to be something that is making its way in to many system, I'd say this is more of a 'nice to have' at this point.

1. Can I use any dahua camera with a dahua NVR or are only certain cameras compatible with dahua NVRs?

2. I assume Dahua has software that can be installed on a windows/mac client that can be used to connect to the NVR to export footage (the computer would be on the same LAN as the NVR). I'm sure you can export from the NVR, but these will likely be installed in an IT closet or up on a shelf where it may not be easy to connect a keyboard/mouse for local export, which is why I mentioned the software install for mac or windows.

Those are my main concerns/questions at this time.

As an example, this is a Dahua NVR with 16 bundled cameras, N564E124S 16-Channel, if I bought this bundled kit and bought an additional 4 (4k) cameras, could I plug in my own switch (to the back of this unit) and plug the 4k cameras into that switch and have this NVR see those 4 additional cameras? I imagine the answer is yes since the switch is simply expanding the layer 2 broadcast domain that the NVR can see (meaning, no routing involved), but I would want to confirm that. I'm not saying I'd go with a bundle, just using that as an example.

Thanks.

Edit- I assume this is compatible with the NVRs, SmartPSS and windows is good enough for now.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1-Yes.

2-Yes, but easiest is to simply use a web browser, and connect to the NVR's web server. Everything can be done with this method. The software they offer is SmartPSS, and it is only recommended to be used to view cameras live feeds, and can be used to export video.

I would avoid any "kits", you need to pick the correct camera for the job, one size does not fit all.

See this: Cliff Notes

I would choose this NVR: Here

AI is working well in most models, and has much less false trigging than just motion.

I would stick with the 5442 series of Dahua cams, they perform the best at night.

Study this thread: ***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch | IP Cam Talk

Everything can be purchased from our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY by sending him message or via email.
Or
From Here or Here or Here

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1-Yes.

2-Yes, but easiest is to simply use a web browser, and connect to the NVR's web server. Everything can be done with this method. The software they offer is SmartPSS, and it is only recommended to be used to view cameras live feeds, and can be used to export video.

I would avoid any "kits", you need to pick the correct camera for the job, one size does not fit all.

See this: Cliff Notes

I would choose this NVR: Here

AI is working well in most models, and has much less false trigging than just motion.

I would stick with the 5442 series of Dahua cams, they perform the best at night.

Study this thread: ***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch | IP Cam Talk

Everything can be purchased from our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY by sending him message or via email.
Or
From Here or Here or Here
Thanks for the quick feedback. I don't plan on purchasing a kit, but was curious if a kit was purchased could I add my own switch and cameras. This is more of curiosity on my part if I were ever in a scenario where a kit was purchased and I needed to add some cameras. I wouldn't add more than 16 cameras, using a switch, if the 16 channel NVR were already maxed out. Another use case would be that the current 8 poe ports are all used up and I'm adding a 9th camera and wanted to power via a single ethernet cable (not a fan of injectors).

Regarding AI, is Dahua at the point where the AI can spot people/vehicle or is it not that advanced? Does license plate reading require a certain camera or is it a best effort if the camera sense a license plate? LPR isn't required, but I read about it so I'm curious.

Do certain NVRs handle analytics or is this done by all NVRs at the software level (for example, newer NVRs/newer software). I may get my answer to this question when I read from the links you've provided.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can offer comments on a few of the points. For context, I've been running a Dahua NVR for 5+ years and have been doing a lot of recent research on a system for somebody else.

standalone/NVR style system (something that you'd see at Sam's/Costco).

Iv'e sent a lot of time debating this. For a non-technical user it's attractive because of better end user documentation (in some cases), and the hope of somebody to call for problem solving. But there are too many compromises for me, mentioned in the Dahua packaged system comments below.

1. Can I use any dahua camera with a dahua NVR

I think the answer is a qualified yes if it's an IP camera. I'd need to know every Dahua camera to say for sure. My 5216 series NVR works fine with several low cost chinese market Dahua cameras, however newer NVR firmware rejects the chinese market cameras for marketing reasons, not technical incompatibility.

I assume Dahua has software that can be installed on a windows/mac client that can be used to connect to the NVR to export footage (the computer would be on the same LAN as the NVR).

That's correct. SmartPSS can export clips. Based on reading posts I have the impression that SmartPSS on a mac is kind of a pain in the rear. Exporting clips from either the NVR or SmartPSS is somewhat difficult to set up (not technically, but a lot of steps), and the export itself is very slow. The only export file format I've found to be reliable is .dav, which must be converted to another format to be useful for anything but Dahua's viewer. If I'd need to export files frequently I'd probably be looking at a different solution like BI, Synology, etc. Perhaps others have better luck with this than I do.

As an example, this is a Dahua NVR with 16 bundled cameras, N564E124S 16-Channel,

My problem with the packaged systems is the lack of flexibility. You're locked into the same FOV for every camera in the kit. In this and most kits the cameras have sensors that are on the low end for low light sensitivity compared to what's available for a bit more money.

if I bought this bundled kit and bought an additional 4 (4k) cameras, could I plug in my own switch (to the back of this unit) and plug the 4k cameras into that switch and have this NVR see those 4 additional cameras? I imagine the answer is yes since the switch is simply expanding the layer 2 broadcast domain that the NVR can see (meaning, no routing involved), but I would want to confirm that.

I believe you are correct, but not having an NVR with POE ports I'll defer to somebody with actual experience. You can also add the cameras to the LAN side of the NVR instead of adding a switch to a POE port. You can also plug 4k cameras directly into the POE ports to retain the plug-and-play function.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can offer comments on a few of the points. For context, I've been running a Dahua NVR for 5+ years and have been doing a lot of recent research on a system for somebody else.

standalone/NVR style system (something that you'd see at Sam's/Costco).

Iv'e sent a lot of time debating this. For a non-technical user it's attractive because of better end user documentation (in some cases), and the hope of somebody to call for problem solving. But there are too many compromises for me, mentioned in the Dahua packaged system comments below.

1. Can I use any dahua camera with a dahua NVR

I think the answer is a qualified yes if it's an IP camera. I'd need to know every Dahua camera to say for sure. My 5216 series NVR works fine with several low cost chinese market Dahua cameras, however newer NVR firmware rejects the chinese market cameras for marketing reasons, not technical incompatibility.

I assume Dahua has software that can be installed on a windows/mac client that can be used to connect to the NVR to export footage (the computer would be on the same LAN as the NVR).

That's correct. SmartPSS can export clips. Based on reading posts I have the impression that SmartPSS on a mac is kind of a pain in the rear. Exporting clips from either the NVR or SmartPSS is somewhat difficult to set up (not technically, but a lot of steps), and the export itself is very slow. The only export file format I've found to be reliable is .dav, which must be converted to another format to be useful for anything but Dahua's viewer. If I'd need to export files frequently I'd probably be looking at a different solution like BI, Synology, etc. Perhaps others have better luck with this than I do.

As an example, this is a Dahua NVR with 16 bundled cameras, N564E124S 16-Channel,

My problem with the packaged systems is the lack of flexibility. You're locked into the same FOV for every camera in the kit. In this and most kits the cameras have sensors that are on the low end for low light sensitivity compared to what's available for a bit more money.

if I bought this bundled kit and bought an additional 4 (4k) cameras, could I plug in my own switch (to the back of this unit) and plug the 4k cameras into that switch and have this NVR see those 4 additional cameras? I imagine the answer is yes since the switch is simply expanding the layer 2 broadcast domain that the NVR can see (meaning, no routing involved), but I would want to confirm that.

I believe you are correct, but not having an NVR with POE ports I'll defer to somebody with actual experience. You can also add the cameras to the LAN side of the NVR instead of adding a switch to a POE port. You can also plug 4k cameras directly into the POE ports to retain the plug-and-play function.
Great info, thanks.

I am a bit bummed on the export being a proprietary .dav file, not a fan of that, I was hoping it would be .avi or .mp4, but this is why I ask and why I'm reading posts/PDFs.

I agree with the bundled kits being locked into the same FOV, etc, but I was more curious if a bundled system was purchased could I add additional dahua cameras. for the most part, it seems like you can.

Can you expand on this?

"I think the answer is a qualified yes if it's an IP camera. I'd need to know every Dahua camera to say for sure. My 5216 series NVR works fine with several low cost chinese market Dahua cameras, however newer NVR firmware rejects the chinese market cameras for marketing reasons, not technical incompatibility."

I'm only curious about dahua cameras on a dahua NVR. I know non-dahua cameras can be used (if compatible), but wouldn't any dahua camera work on a dahua NVR? I know there are re-branded dahua cables that are not marked as dahua, but I'm only curious about actual dahua cameras with a dahua logo.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the NVR is advertised as having 8 chs, or whatever number. Thats all the cameras it can handle, period.

Read the links.
I understand that part, but my question was for a system that has 16 channels with 12 of them being bundled. I assume I can add 4 more.

Still going through all the info/links and reading the thread you linked, some of my questions have been answered from reading that thread. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes many of us believe the camera AI is more than adequate. See this thread and my comments in the thread.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SMartPSS can export multiple file formats, I use .mp4
export-file-formats.jpg

The AI on the newer Dahua cameras and NVRs is pretty good. here you see AI (Tripwire) lines being tripped. One is for vehicles only and one for Humans only.
Human-only.jpg Vehicle-only.jpg

Yes you can run any combination of Dahua cameras on a Dahua NVR with built in PoE. Some directly plugged into the NVR and others on an external switch. I do it multiple places.

LPR is typically done with a separate dedicated camera zoomed in tight and with special settings especially at night to see the plate on a moving vehicle without blur. . You can use what most here use for about $230 and read the plates yourself from playback, or you can go the $500+ route and have the camera/NVR store plates. I recommend option 1 unless you just want to pour through a database of tens of thousands of plates for fun.

HOA Rear_Overview_main_20220607151254_@4.jpg HOA Rear_Tag_main_20220607151255_@4.jpg HOA Entr_EntTag_main_20220609234814_@3.jpg

Last edited:

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SMartPSS can export multiple file formats, I use .mpg
View attachment 130453

The AI on the newer Dahua cameras and NVRs is pretty good. here you see AI (Tripwire) lines being tripped. One is for vehicles only and one for Humans only.
View attachment 130454 View attachment 130455

Yes you can run any combination of Dahua cameras on a Dahua NVR with built in PoE. Some directly plugged into the NVR and others on an external switch. I do it multiple places.

LPR is typically done with a separate dedicated camera zoomed in tight and with special settings especially at night to see the plate on a moving vehicle without blur. . You can use what most here use for about $230 and read the plates yourself from playback, or you can go the $500+ route and have the camera/NVR store plates. I recommend option 1 unless you just want to pour through a database of tens of thousands of plates for fun.

View attachment 130456 View attachment 130457 View attachment 130458
Which NVR are you using?

For the shot with the truck near and far, do you use two cameras? The LPR specific settings make sense. Thanks.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have an emprietech camera (dahua) that I bought a while back for personal use and I was planning on using it with an ONVIF compatible system but went with another camera (for technical reasons). I'm going to install smart pss and do some testing with that camera.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 5-6 NVRs at different places. Those outside shots are mostly Dahua 5442 cameras connected to a low end 4108 NVR, I’d recommend the 5000 series

Yes the truck shots are two separate cameras. The plate shot is from a dedicated LPR cam, a 5241Z-12. Much more zoom capability than most cameras. Lots of guys here use them for LPR.

The night LPR shot is from another 5241Z-12 at the opposite end of the street

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you expand on this?
I'm assuming you're in USA. Dahua has a very limited official equipment ljne for USA, sold by authorized resellers at comparatively high prices. Hardly anybody on this forum goes that route. There's also an equipment line for China, lower-end on average, at significantly lower prices. Most of it is decent quality, and in many cases exactly the same as USA or international models, with different firmware. These cameras are widely sold on ebay and amazon, and Dahua corporate (I assume) got tired of people outside china using the lower cost cameras on Dahua NVRs. Four or so years ago years ago, the NVR firmware versions began actively rejecting them, based (I think) on the embedded serial #. A great tipoff of a chinese market camera is when the seller warns to not upgrade the firmware, but you can't blindly rely on ebay and amazon product descriptions. The other equipment is the generic "international" line, used by most Dahua users here. All of the cameras in the Empire Tech store are international models and Dahua NVR compatible Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress

The NVR in your example package is a 16 port NVR with 16 POE ports. Some NVRs have fewer POE ports than channels. Best thing is to carefully study the Dahua spec sheet. Once you've got the model #, a search engine can find the spec sheet.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Those outside shots are mostly Dahua 5442 cameras connected to a low end 4108 NVR
Thread creep, guilty as charged, but it is asking about NVR selection.
Bigred, perhaps you can validate an assumption of mine. With the 4108 using an external power brick, I'm thinking it doesn't have the high fan noise level of other Dahua NVRs with built-in POE. Would that be a correct assumption? I agree with the 5000-series recommendation, but in some situations the high fan noise is a killer attribute.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thread creep, guilty as charged, but it is asking about NVR selection.
Bigred, perhaps you can validate an assumption of mine. With the 4108 using an external power brick, I'm thinking it doesn't have the high fan noise level of other Dahua NVRs with built-in POE. Would that be a correct assumption? I agree with the 5000-series recommendation, but in some situations the high fan noise is a killer attribute.
Simply purchase the non-POE version of a 5000 series. They come with external power bricks as well.
Then use external switch's.

I've reviewed two different 4000 series, and yes they are quiet.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll defer to @looney2ns as the 4108 is in a NEMA box outside so I dont know.

I do have a 4116 inside with the external brick and it does seem to be quiet, but I have CHS

... along with CSS and CRS

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Simply purchase the non-POE version of a 5000 series. They come with external power bricks as well.
I know that because that's what I have. The downside there is losing the plug-play of the built in POE ports. Thanks for the 4000 series noise report, and if the reviews are posted here I will first kick myself for not thinking to look for them, and then look for them.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then use external switch's.

I've reviewed two different 4000 series, and yes they are quiet.
That was another think I was contemplating. In one location where I'm considering to use a dahua NVR, I have a 48 port PoE switch with only 22 ports being used and only 2 of those ports are being used for PoE devices, I have plenty of PoE watts available for ip cameras. I can also easily add a VLAN to this switch to keep the NVR and cameras on their own network while using the switch for network and powering the cameras. In that scenario, an NVR w/o PoE/ports can be used.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was able to install smart pss onto a spare PC and connect my emprire ip camera to smart pss. It was a quick and easy setup.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I should have mentioned not to install or mess with the PC-NVR component.

SmartPSS is actually two components, the viewer/playback part and a VMS part that uses your PC for storage. The VMS part is not so good. I wouldnt recommend it. But for Live View/Playback/Downloading clips it works great.