Dahua NVR Reboots during the day

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well it's good to know that the web interfaces are not entirely borked and just need to be reloaded. Now to see if it'll handle that hik camera without shiting the bed.

That currently won't affect me as I am going to be doing all Dahua cameras. prior to everyone's testing and process of elimination the fact that it was a different camera brand wasn't even certain, and May in fact not be even now though it seems to be pointing that way.
So wait, you were getting reboots with JUST Dahua cameras? Interesting.
So far no reboots. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Key phrase in bold "going to be doing" as in future tense.

I was just getting in the process of ordering cameras and a DVR when this all started to go to hell you guys. My only personal complication is that I'm going to be running right around 32 cameras so I was going to have two DVRs so twice the fun. I've also sense look at going to Blue Iris like you and still will most likely if nothing else just to broaden my availables though I do hope the DVR issue is fixed.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Tygunn - Can you confirm reboots have stopped after applying the new firmware? I also, just have Dahua cameras. 7 reboots today, already.
I have not had any reboots so far since upgrading while running 9 Dahua cameras. So it seems to have helped.
When you upgrade, reset everything to defaults and reconfigure it all. It sounds like a pain (and it is), but I worry the firmware upgrades don't migrate well so you could get something into a bad state.

namtrab

n3wb
Reaction score
@Tygunn

Just for clarification...should you upgrade the firmware and then reset to default, or reset to default then upgrade the firmware? Or, does it matter?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have not had any reboots so far since upgrading while running 9 Dahua cameras. So it seems to have helped.
When you upgrade, reset everything to defaults and reconfigure it all. It sounds like a pain (and it is), but I worry the firmware upgrades don't migrate well so you could get something into a bad state.
Right but didn't they stop for you a week or so before you updated the firmware on the NVR?

I have only 3 Dahua cameras recording... But at one point I had a HOSAFE camera also recording. Naturally, when i told the nvr to record general (24/7) and IVS alarms.... I told it to apply to all 4 channels. But, I haven't had the HOSAFE hooked into the network for a while, so it was just a black screen.

Just to see what happened, yesterday i told that channel to only record general and no ivs. Today i had 4 reboots. Still on the old firmware.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had tried adding the Hik camera this evening. It turns out in the process of doing that, the NVR deleted the logins/passwords for ALL of the cameras, so nothing recorded for a span of 3 hours until I have a chance to fix it. Thankfully BlueIris keeps humming along.

I've got the Hikvision camera re-added and motion detection active for it. We'll see if this causes the NVR to act even more unstable.
So, any new updates to share? new crashes? everything working as intended? meteors falling from the sky? Mind you i don't think the firmware would be the cause of that, But...

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone else preformed the firmware update yet, and if so, what are your results thus far?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've given up on this NVR.

The reboots aren't an issue on mine anymore, but I don't see much hope for Dahua resolving the issue where they don't wait for a full frame before they start a recording. And because they don't, the first second or two of all new recordings can be lost.

For my use, that makes this NVR only good for 24/7 recording w/o Motion Detection or IVS recordings.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I've given up on this NVR.

For my use, that makes this NVR only good for 24/7 recording w/o Motion Detection or IVS recordings.
That's exactly the situation I was in with a rebranded Hikvision NVR. Even with this issue the 5216-4ks2 is "less bad" for me and my use. Pretty sad situation with both companies. At least SmartPSS doesn't crash for me, which wasn't the case with a whole bunch of different versions of the Hik PC client.

Reaction score
Has anyone else preformed the firmware update yet, and if so, what are your results thus far?
I just did the update. Too soon to tell if reboots are resolved. I only have 5 Dahua cameras, with a 6th I just received that will be installed this weekend.
So far, all I needed to do was reinstall the plugin in Firefox and no problem accessing the WebGUI for the NVR. Looked at Events and I can now set up IVS rules right on the NVR.

Will monitor over the next few days, and report findings.

Oh, no Chinese text found anwhere. Only real problem is the S/N of the NVR is not readable. It's been this way since receiving it.

Update: It looks like ANR (Automatic Network Replenishment) is working! I see no gaps in the camera timelines. May be premature, will keep an eye on it. This is based on the reboot after doing the upgrade.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have an SD card or something and the nvr looses connection, when it comes back online it will pull from the sd card and replace any missing data. I believe that is how it works.

HMS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Taken from Dahua Spec sheet:

ANR (Automatic Network Replenishment Technology)
Video record in SD card in IP cameras when the network breaks down, and after the network recovered, the video will be transferred to NVR and then recorded in it.
Well, it nice to know thats working. if they can get the glitches with the IVS and motion capture people are having fixed this might be a viable option again.

bubsnw

n3wb
Reaction score
Occasionally I see my Dahua NVR rebooting at odd times. I have it scheduled for "maintenance" at 2:00am on Tuesdays. Today it rebooted at 4:26 as well.
. ..
Contents: Reboot Symbol: 0x06f
Exactly the same issue here. NVR5216-4KS2 and 4 cams purchased from Andy back in March. NVR just got setup on Saturday with a new WD Purple 4 TB drive. Already had one 5231R-Z camera that I had updated the f/w on, so that is all that is connected. I first saw a lockup on Saturday afternoon a couple of hours after I created a single IVS 'zig zag' tripwire to watch the street as an experiment - camera is two stories up. I noticed that objects with lower contrast against the light grey road would not trigger the rule. Small black dogs, yes ... small white dogs, no. Same with people and some cars. It missed a lot of people, bikes and cars rolling by without triggering. I even tried a 'sawtooth' pattern to see if it worked better with objects crossing more at a 90 deg. angle ... no change.

All my reboots are preceded by multiple, sequential Tripwire events in the log (multiple due to the zig zag detection line) except the '0x01' which had two tripwire events then a 'DEFAULT' event (whatever that means) entry preceding it. I have set iframe and fps to the same and still get the one or two second dropout after an IVS event (if not a crash). The 'crash' manifests as a total lockup - I can't see the mouse, let alone move it, click on it, etc. while connected directly to the NVR with VGA monitor. The NVR watchdog reboots itself a couple of minutes after a lockup. Total outage each cycle is about 5 minutes. Had 6 reboots with flag '0x6f' and one with flag '0x01' yesterday.

The IVR rule was turned off yesterday afternoon and no more reboots as of this morning. I'll setup one of the other new 5231R-Z cams without the f/w update tonight with a tripwire on it to test for a day. Can't say yet whether the camera with new f/w is a contributor or not. Will update here after my experiments.

BTW - Fan working OK, no detectable heat coming out of vent. Power brick barely warm to the touch.

Looking forward to see if the latest published f/w at least fixes the crashes. It's fugly for a security video system to drop 1-2 seconds of video when it detects an event, and useless if it crashes for 5 minutes several times a day. If not fixed, then I'll move on to Blue Iris for now.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can't recall checking on my system, but the dropped frame issue only happens on the separate IVS event file correct? Or does it happen on the continuous recording file as well?

For example if you have continuous recoding set at 30 minute intervals and have an IVS event happen 20 minutes in, yes you lose the frame on that IVS file but if you download the full 30 minute continuous recording does it still have the dropped frame in that file?