Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone running the NVR5416-4KS2?

I'm looking to add more cameras to the house (perhaps up to 12 in total) and two more WD Purples to my PC running Blue Iris. This might push be over the SATA ports on the motherboard and available disk trays on the case. So I might have to build/buy a dedicated CCTV PC or get an NVR...

Guessing the NVR5416-4KS2 is the same internals as the NVR5216-4KS2 but just 0.5U's taller?
Both are different .. Here the difference specs between the two that I found

5216 - 4 channel Alarm I/O , 2 channel relay, 1 HDMI out and up to 2 sata HHD

5416 - 16 channel Alarm I/O, 6 channel relay, 2 HDMI out and up to 4 sata HHD

5216 spec page
NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

5416 spec page
NVR5416/5432/5464-16P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a reason for my nvr to not regedterr as onvif device?
it should be onvif correct?
It doesn't matter much.
The fact that it does not show itself as an ONVIF device (eg NVT) does not necessarily mean that it does not support adding ONVIF cameras.
For example - Hikvision 76xxN-Ex NVRs with older firmware (eg 3.0.8) showed as an ONVIF device, but in later firmware that capability was removed.
The NVR continued to support adding ONVIF cameras.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It doesn't matter much.
The fact that it does not show itself as an ONVIF device (eg NVT) does not necessarily mean that it does not support adding ONVIF cameras.
For example - Hikvision 76xxN-Ex NVRs with older firmware (eg 3.0.8) showed as an ONVIF device, but in later firmware that capability was removed.
The NVR continued to support adding ONVIF cameras.
I was talking about the actual NVR.
When I use the cameras stand alone the OVIF device manager sees it and Onvif mobile app works fine. When I connect the cameras to the POE NVR and point the Onvif device manager to the NVR IPport it does not work.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a reason for my nvr to not regedterr as onvif device?
I was talking about the actual NVR.
So was I.
For example - Hikvision NVRs used to be visible to ONVIF Device Manager on older firmware - but are not visible on current firmware.

When I connect the cameras to the POE NVR and point the Onvif device manager to the NVR IPport it does not work.
ONVIF Device Manager will only see ONVIF devices in the same IP address range as that of the PC it is running on.
When cameras are connected to an NVR PoE port, that is a different network.
You would need to change the PC IP address to be in the range of the NVR PoE ports addresses, and connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So is it only IVS trip wire/intrusion zones that are causing the bugs reported on this thread? I presume normal motion detection works as expected?

As I've never used an NVR before and only Blue Iris I presume the recording and motion detection functionality is similar. That is I can record 24/7 but only be notified of motion alerts? Also how do you guys generally check the alert on an iPhone app? Is there a companion app or something along those lines as with Blue Iris?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use motion detection, but if the NVR splits that off into its own file (for easy downloading, like it does with IVS events), it'd probably have the same glitches.

I use the iDMSS Plus app. You can get push notifications with that version ($4.99, I think). The free version lets you watch your cameras/recordings, but no push notifications.

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't use motion detection, but if the NVR splits that off into its own file (for easy downloading, like it does with IVS events), it'd probably have the same glitches.

I use the iDMSS Plus app. You can get push notifications with that version ($4.99, I think). The free version lets you watch your cameras/recordings, but no push notifications.
Thanks.... I presume iDMSS requires you to use their cloud connection, Easy4ip to create access to the NVR?

And with iDMSS can you disable the notifications that pop up on your phone and just open the app to see a list of alerts?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.... I presume iDMSS requires you to use their cloud connection, Easy4ip to create access to the NVR?

And with iDMSS can you disable the notifications that pop up on your phone and just open the app to see a list of alerts?
No you don't need to use their cloud connection. A VPN connection is all you need.

And I'm not sure if you can have the app list the events but not message you... But if for some reason you want that, just use your phone to not allow that app to give notifications.

rado stefano

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So was I.
For example - Hikvision NVRs used to be visible to ONVIF Device Manager on older firmware - but are not visible on current firmware.

ONVIF Device Manager will only see ONVIF devices in the same IP address range as that of the PC it is running on.
You would need to change the PC IP address to be in the range of the NVR PoE ports addresses, and connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.
So was I.

It is strange to me that when cameras are connected with a poe injector on the same subnet, pointing to the Dahua NVR lets me see them but when connected to the NVR POE ports and on a different subnet it does not.
The NVR should be able to delegate the ONVIF regardless.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
So is it only IVS trip wire/intrusion zones that are causing the bugs reported on this thread? I presume normal motion detection works as expected?

As I've never used an NVR before and only Blue Iris I presume the recording and motion detection functionality is similar. That is I can record 24/7 but only be notified of motion alerts? Also how do you guys generally check the alert on an iPhone app? Is there a companion app or something along those lines as with Blue Iris?
You can use email or mobile apps to be notified when motion is detected. Also it should mark the event in your recording timeline when a motion is detected if your recording 24/7 for reviewing at a later time or date

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys
Got mine delivered just now. Do you think it will be OK to mount it vertically on the wall with front of the unit facing UP?
I want to put it into a metal enclosure in the garage, that looks like a power switch box. Just don't know if the hard drives in it will be OK with that position, given that in majority of cases the HDD will always be horizontal.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys
Got mine delivered just now. Do you think it will be OK to mount it vertically on the wall with front of the unit facing UP?
I want to put it into a metal enclosure in the garage, that looks like a power switch box. Just don't know if the hard drives in it will be OK with that position, given that in majority of cases the HDD will always be horizontal.
It should be fine as long it have good ventilation

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys
I would mount it facing down because of the airflow. Both vents are blowing out of the case if you have the POE version.
With the none PoE might be less problematic. But the none PoE would have better airflow with fan up. The only air inlet is on the opposite to the side fan.
The HDDs don't care how they are mounted as long as you don't shake 'em while spinning. ;)

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I was turning it around varous ways. I have the PoE version and it would make sense to point the connectors up towards the ceiling, as this is where the cables will be coming from. But I saw the fans and thought of dust too. So the only good option would be to point the front of the unit up

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I was turning it around varous ways. I have the PoE version and it would make sense to point the connectors up towards the ceiling, as this is where the cables will be coming from. But I saw the fans and thought of dust too. So the only good option would be to point the front of the unit up
There will be less dust with fans up, as long as the fans are spinning. ;)

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How come? You are pushing against the gravity. And less dust on the cables/connectors with face up - the fans are at the back and 1 side

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How come? You are pushing against the gravity. And less dust on the cables/connectors with face up - the fans are at the back and 1 side
You are right, you'll push against gravity. The airflow wouldn't let dust in from above. And you'll have better airflow because of thermodynamics. Warm air goes up and is supported by the fan. I think it wouldn't be that smart to push the warm air below the NVR to suck it in again from the side again.

hdo27

n3wb
Reaction score
I can confirm that missing frames/gaps also happens with Net Alarms (even local alarm?). However i think the files are ok though. Tested on NVR5216-4KS2 without IVS but MD enabled, played back directly on the device.