Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are the time/date settings in my NVR and cameras and I don't notice any issues using this setting. I am in US central time (CST)

View attachment 19484
My cameras are not internet connected directly, so cannot check the time via the internet

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great thread! After reading through, there were several notes of the PoE version being loud and muffling techniques - foam, placement, etc. While I am using a Lorex with their 60 day return policy and the noise is a legitimate reason to return. I am very tempted to create a video review that documents it. Spec wise the Lorex is close to the NVR4208. Based on pictures I have seen in this and other threads the internals are virtually identical as the Lorex, NVR4208 and NVR5216 all have the same arrangement - motherboard with heatsink, case fan that pulls across the heatsink, Delta brand powersupply and room for 2 hard drives. It appears that the non-replaceable fan in the power supply in the culprit as I unplug the case fan and there is no drop in sound. Perhaps it is a bad sample but as I ran a sound test for objective measures and the results confirmed and quantified my initial subjective concern - Ambient only - 30.3dB, Ambient + PC - 33.1dB, Ambient + NVR - 45.5dB, and Ambient + PC + NVR 48.5dB. That additional 15dB put out by the NVR is huge and can't think of any other electrical appliance that has cooling requirements (DVD, stereo amp/receiver, etc) that has that level of noise. The PC with 800w ps and a total of 6 fans dwarfs the NVR yet only adds around 3 dB sound!

Is the NVR5216 equally as loud or do I just have a bad model? I have virtually decided on the non-PoE version of the NVR5216 due to that issue as it removes the power supply. The last thing I would want is a thief to break in and have a noisy NVR saying "look in the closet where I am hidden!" While totally silent isn't a requirement, lack of intrusiveness is. Netgear, BT and others offer quite fanless PoE switches with some compromises, like 16 ports to get 8 PoE, but I really like the design of the Dahau PFS3110-8P-96. Don't care if it is fanless as can't tell from the single photo, just non-obtrusive like my PC. Anybody using that in combination with the NVR5216? Impressions? (Edit note - not ready at this time to go BI but a freestanding PoE will set me up nicely if later do.)

Last edited:

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, its pretty loud. And yes, its the power supply fan. I did not take it apart yet to see what its doing, but where did you read/see that it is non replaceable?
My plan is either drop the volts to it so it slows down, or put a thermal switch inline, so it only turn on when temperature is around 45C (thats what I have on hand)

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I took the power supply out and removed the 4 screws that appear to hold the fan in as I wanted to see the brand/markings to see if could be replaced. The fan looked like would slide out, but just wiggled. Later read on another forum that is dominated by installers who stated that the fan is apparently permanently attached in assembly. Worse, while he could find other power supplies with the same total output, none had the lower support level for the PoE draw.

My planned mounting spot is under the desktop. With the recessed kick panel, cut a hole to slide the fan portions to the rear. If I have a noisy NVR, without obstructing the airflow, build a larger box on the back and line with some acoustic foam I have left over from a speaker build. The box would have a fully open back accommodating the cables and not impacting the airflow, but perhaps have an inch extension of the foam beyond the back for sound deadening. Space permitting, foam on wall (self sticking) to eliminate sound reflection.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've been planning to buy this nvr, however with all the issues, would it be more advisable to purchase a nvr4216? Or should I get this nvr and hope I can update it in the future?
AFAIK, in regards to the missing frames, that issue appears to be across the Dahua line of NVRs (as well as some of the cameras recording to SD cards).

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't even update the firmware. I'm trying to load VR5XXX-4K_Eng_V3.210.0003.0.R.20170418.bin into the 5216-4ks2 via the web interface and I get "Update Failed!", followed by a reboot. User error, I hope? The file size is 3,940 kB, and I'm assuming I have a good copy of it.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Atistobrat, you were absolutely correct. I should have figured that out by myself. Sometimes I think of the right thing to look at and sometimes I don't. When I loaded the corrupted file a few hours ago it chugged along very slow, taking about 10 minutes for what was 10% of the total. When I tried after your post, it loaded the whole thing in 3 minutes or so. I got the new firmware installed. Getting the new web components installed was a bit of a hassle, I had to delete a few of the old files manually. Now to watch and see if the lost frame situation has changed.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Took the power supply on the PoE version apart today to see if I can do something about that loud fan. It does not really bother me at the moment, as it sits in the locked metal box in the garage.
You definitely take that loud fan out.
20170624_141656.jpg 20170624_141816.jpg 20170624_141917.jpg
Did not do thickness, but its 20mm. You can check the specs on the fan just by searching by its model number - EFB0412HHD
This is a pic of the actual power supply
20170624_160814.jpg

I removed the fan completely and ran it with 3 cameras connected for 60 min. The hottest part got to around 75C, but I did not put the cover on the power supply or NVR back on, so would probably be hotter.
Don't know what the fan does, but the specs of it say 9 CFM air transfer and about 34dBa (http://www.delta-fan.com/Download/Spec/EFB0412HHD.pdf)
flir_20170624T154228.jpg

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks SergeyAU - I guess I didn't force it by tugging hard enough and definitely didn't take the PS case off...just removed the unit and couldn't see the fan model number due to the screening. Looking on Amazon, no reviews on that specific model but related model ending in VHD (same size with marginally faster RPM 9000 vs 8200 and airflow 10 vs 9.1) and reviews consistently mentioned noise and a quality control issue - inconsistent terminal wiring (flipping position) on purchase sample of 10. I have to order a WD Purple HD this weekend, so may throw in a fan to experiment with. While I haven't studies in depth, on that caught my eye was the 12v 40x40x20 (careful on replacement not to get the 5v models) Noctua-A4-20 FLX which is Prime and instock. Notably quieter at 14.9dB vs 30.1dB, pushing the same airflow at lower 5000 RPM. It is also a variable for even quieter operation at less airflow and RPM, but don't know if that is user set or automatic demand adjustment.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With an identical size, I cannot imagine the blade differences that would push more airflow at a lower rpm (noise aside). If you do order - please let us know if there is a noticeable difference.
Its hard to guess what is the internal temperature of the psu - dont have any flexible probes to play with it. And what difference that fan makes. Like - can I just take the psu case cover off and run a fan at slow rpm? Or if I run a different fan at lower cfm - how will it imact the temperature? Could not find a datasheet for this particular psu model to see its airflow requirements

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
After running firmware 3.210.0003.0, Build Date: 2017-04-18 on a 5216-4ks2 for one night I can report that the skipped frames on event triggers is fixed. There are still some issues, minor compared to the lost frames.

With the web interface:
At 10 FPS, video playback is smooth and flawless through event triggers. Single step works correctly through event triggers. During playback, the IVS on/off feature is inconsistent in operation, and the IVS lines sometimes can't be turned off. The IVS setup is inconsistent, working with some cameras, not working with others. This is an improvement over the previous firmware where it just hung with some cameras.

With smartPss 2.00.1:
When playing back, the video "stutters", or pauses, for a half second or so when an event is triggered. To my eye, no frames are lost. Single stepping through an event trigger does not work.

I realize there are other serious problems that didn't affect me. For my use, this changes the NVR from "unacceptable", to "pretty good with a few bugs". If I wasn't able to easily log into the cameras for configuration, I'd be having bigger problems.

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this NVR have a built in NTP service? I've read about people pointing their cameras to their nvr for ntp (my cameras do not have public web access) but I don't see an ntp service in the nvr setup.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its a Linux box essentially. I did not know about it, but had to patch some NTP related vulnerability at work on Cisco switches. By default, NTP service works both ways. Client syncs from what you define on the internet and others can sync off it (NVR) unless you manually restrict it with access lists

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Depending on your router, you may be able to set up a local NTP server.

As everyone here is looking for most bang for bucks, investigate Mikrotik network gear. Not easy to learn but extremely powerful, if you have time to learn. Inexpensive too.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After running firmware 3.210.0003.0, Build Date: 2017-04-18 on a 5216-4ks2 for one night I can report that the skipped frames on event triggers is fixed. There are still some issues, minor compared to the lost frames.

With the web interface:
At 10 FPS, video playback is smooth and flawless through event triggers. Single step works correctly through event triggers. During playback, the IVS on/off feature is inconsistent in operation, and the IVS lines sometimes can't be turned off. The IVS setup is inconsistent, working with some cameras, not working with others. This is an improvement over the previous firmware where it just hung with some cameras.

With smartPss 2.00.1:
When playing back, the video "stutters", or pauses, for a half second or so when an event is triggered. To my eye, no frames are lost. Single stepping through an event trigger does not work.

I realize there are other serious problems that didn't affect me. For my use, this changes the NVR from "unacceptable", to "pretty good with a few bugs". If I wasn't able to easily log into the cameras for configuration, I'd be having bigger problems.
Did you recognize some major problems, like uncontrollable PTZ if multiple PTZ are used with the NVR, or long term event recordings which should be regular recordings?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you recognize some major problems, like uncontrollable PTZ if multiple PTZ are used with the NVR, or long term event recordings which should be regular recordings?
Sorry I'm so slow, was out-of-town for a few days. I don't have any PTZ cameras. Haven't noticed any event recordings running longer than they are configured for.

manwald

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got one question and I hope you guys can help me with it.

Today I received my NVR5208-8P-4KS2 from Andy, which will record the streams from at least 5 Dahua-cams (3x IPC-HDW5231R-Z for outside the house without audio and 2x HDB4231G-AS for inside with audio).

Do you have any recommendation for a good HDD, wether 3TB or 4TB? I'm thinking about a WD Purple or a WD Red, but today I stumbled over a really cheap HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB-HDD (SATA 600 7200 U/min, model H3IKNAS40003272SE).

I would be really glad about any tips from you!

Best regards and thanks a lot
Mischa

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get the Western Digital Purple. They are designed specifically to record security camera footage.

The reds are designed for NAS usage. Do not use those in your NVR.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
but today I stumbled over a really cheap HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB-HDD (SATA 600 7200 U/min, model H3IKNAS40003272SE).
IIRC, the WD Purple is designed to best handle multiple streams constantly writing to the disk (i.e. multiple cameras).