Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahha ... problem has nothing to do with IVS. There's a blank screen, missing frames when switching to any new file. There's a file every hour. I just started playback at 59 minutes into the hour, and at the switch to 00 at the top of the hour, same problem, it have nothing to do with IVS. I assumed it did based on the reports here, but nope, same problem with general recording and playback in SmartPSS on my Mac.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Same issue again tonight with a missing minute and no recording from 23:59:00 to 00:00:00. The file list on the NVR thru the Web Service and from SmartPSS only shows start at 23:00:00 for 00:59:00 minutes. Weird.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
First test today with one channel and IVS activated, no skipped frames. I didn't change the iFrame to the fps like Andy was told now.
For now I only watched the footage at the NVR. Will see if exported and cropped files will be also without gap.
I checked another channel which had MD enabled recording.
Remote playback with SmartPSS hangs a little between the files, but this might be an issue of the 5Mb/s upstream at the site with the NVR. Have to test this in LAN.
If I crop an IVS or MD event and download it I can't see any gaps.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ahha ... problem has nothing to do with IVS. There's a blank screen, missing frames when switching to any new file.
That was the original problem. Whenever a new file is started, if the first frame in the file isn't an iFrame, there will be missing frames when played back.

The NVR creates new files for each IVS/MD event (if they're set to record), and every hour.

Sixto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That was the original problem. Whenever a new file is started, if the first frame in the file isn't an iFrame, there will be missing frames when played back.

The NVR creates new files for each IVS/MD event (if they're set to record), and every hour.
Yep, that's exactly what is happening here.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Engineer solutions Summary:

The I-frame rate(Cameras') should be set to the FPS rate, independent of the bit rate.The frame rate is how many "pictures" are taken per second, and the bit rate is how good each one of those pictures are. Please check this kind of settings and test it.
I set one camera yesterday to 10 fps and iframe 10. I still have lost frames with both smartPss and the web interface. NVR is a 5216-4ks2 firmware 3.210.0002.2, Build Date: 07-21-2016.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I set one camera yesterday to 10 fps and iframe 10. I still have lost frames with both smartPss and the web interface. NVR is a 5216-4ks2 firmware 3.210.0002.2, Build Date: 07-21-2016.
Have you tried the newer version firmware yet?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Mo. I thought I read multiple reports that it did not help with the missing frames. Am I mistaken on that?
For me it seems to bee the new firmware which might seem to close the gap. But of course I'm still skeptical and will monitor this.
On the other hand side, it's really annoying to me that's no more possible to co tröl multiple PTZ through apps instead of the WebUI. Could anybody confirm this bug or is it only me?

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i only have 1 ptz and i can control it with android phone

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i only have 1 ptz and i can control it with android phone
Yeah, one shouldn't be that problem. For me the NVR only controls the PTZ which was up first. But only if controlled through apps, not in WebUI.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sory ck i only have 1 ptz maybe ill order another soon .. i have 5216-16p and its connected directly on monitor and find very easy to control ptz from monitor

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe there's another bug in the actual firmware. Has someone enabled IVS recording to the NVR again? It did for trying if the gap is gone. And now I encountered a very strange behavior. Seem there's no gap, what's good. But also seems the NVR faulty records IVS events sometimes for long terms. Last evening it recorded for several hours. So the files and the timeline marked as IVS event, but there hasn't been an event for hours. If an event occurred within the IVS event it's also visible with the lines triggering, but you can't find it with the timeline because everything is marked as event. On the SD card are only recorded snapshots for the real events, on the NVR are 30,923 snapshots for only 12 hours.

IVS_longterm-events.png
Timeline marked for several hours

IVS_longterm-events-filelist.png
Files recorded for full hours like regular recordings, but marked as IVS event

IVS_no-longterm_SD-Card.png
On the SD Card are only records of snapshots for the real events

IVS_longterm-snapshots.png
On the NVR I got 30,923 snapshots...

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
sory ck i only have 1 ptz maybe ill order another soon .. i have 5216-16p and its connected directly on monitor and find very easy to control ptz from monitor
Not your fault :)
But of course I'm looking for someone to verify my problems. If it's a general bug we could please @EMPIRETECANDY to report it to Dahua. If it's only me, I've to look where the problem lies.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I set one camera yesterday to 10 fps and iframe 10. I still have lost frames with both smartPss and the web interface.
To me (I'm no Dahua engineer), setting FPS and iFrame rate the same "limits" the maximum amount of dropped frames (should the issue happen) to one seconds worth.

The default iFrame rate on the Dahua cameras I have are set to FPS x 2, which would cause a maximum of two seconds worth of dropped frames.

Last edited:

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To me (I'm no Dahua engineer), setting FPS and iFrame rate the same "limits" the maximum amount of dropped frames to one seconds worth.

The default iFrame rate on the Dahua cameras I have are set to FPS x 2, which would cause a maximum of two seconds worth of dropped frames.
You're right, sir. :) For me no gaps for the moment, but other issues with the new firmware... will see how it goes on. I'll go to add some more IVS recordings and see if there are still no gaps.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know we all discussing the issue here, but wanted to mention something else.
Just in case someone is searching for this info - camera time sync.
I have set NVR to sync time with NTP.org and all my cameras are set to sync the time from NVR gateway (10.1.1.1 is default). I have verified that NTP service is running

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
No. I thought I read multiple reports that it did not help with the missing frames. Am I mistaken on that?
It's what was reported but I am not sure if they had tried playback using different methods.

I am only trying to narrow this down as much possible. Right now I do not have any missed/skipped frame issue either in SmartPSS or Web service and I am running the latest firmware.

The only missed/skipped frame issue I have if I use the playback within camera's web GUI.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are the time/date settings in my NVR and cameras and I don't notice any issues using this setting. I am in US central time (CST)

timenvr.jpg

tim8

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been planning to buy this nvr, however with all the issues, would it be more advisable to purchase a nvr4216? Or should I get this nvr and hope I can update it in the future?