Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no virtual hosts, no direct way to connect to the cameras.. anything on that PoE is effectively unreachable from your LAN.. many options are exposed on the cameras configuration that the NVR will not setup, zoom levels, local sd card, advanced exposure settings, just off the top of my head.. also makes setting up and configuring 3rd party cameras very difficult.. you also cant use NTP timesync which I find better than doing it via NVR.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, these are things to think about, thanks. Like weigle2 said, there are not that much shops selling the one without PoE. Actually I have a preferred shops which delivers very fast to Germany. Maybe I'll give Andy a try as well. Sometimes DHL delivery is more bad because of the customs... Well, have to think a lot... maybe I'll order some more cams first... :)
I still don't know what gramps means...?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still don't know what gramps means...?
Opa, Großvater, Gramm

I got a non PoE one being delivered tomorrow from Andy, about 10 days after paying on a weekend and he didnt have em in stock at the time I ordered.. but I dont think you want to use DHL if you wish to avoid taxation.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
oic, i was only used to granny. Learned something new ;)
I saw my actually preferred shop also ships this with DHL. Suppose its to big and heavy for ePacket. So i maybe could also ask Andy. In his shop on Aliexpress I couldn't find the model without PoE. Is your NVR without logo as well? In the description it says "without logo" but i assume it's meant for the cams, right?
It's not only the taxation... the EU and especially Germany have very strict laws for importing electronic stuff. With the cameras of Dahua it's a little bit easier because they come without power supply. But the NVR of course will have an power supply. All need CE certification and at least a German quick guide with a part about intended use of the item etc. Otherwise customs give you the choice to crush it or send it back...

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
. If i get me a good 16 port managed POE switch in my country i'll have to pay at least same price as for the NVR without POE.
I think you cannot compare the internal poe ports on a nvr with a good 16 port poe managed switch.

Perhaps a poe midspan (inserter) compares better in price. I use €25 8 port ones with 60 watt power budget from aliexpress. (Only intend to use them for ir lights and sensor power, but i test with cameras and they work fine)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its just a 12v power brick, external.. im sure he could omit it if it makes things easier, shoot him a PM.. his AliExpress store does not reflect stocks well unless its something he's been sitting on for a while.. stuff that moves fast he kinda gives us dibs on before letting the general populations take a wack at em.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Of course it's not comparable with a managed PoE switch. 25€ for a 8 port poe might be interesting.
nayr: yes, even with 12v power supplies you have trouble with the customs here... in past i told them to drop the power supply and i'll get a new german one, but they only give you the full package or nothing...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Andys quite accommodating to help you get through customs safely, shoot @EMPIRETECANDY a Conversation

Were a bit lucky in the US, the previous administration expanded De Minimis from $200 to $800 for duty free imports.. its made it alot easier to get electronics imported w/out hassle.

Last edited:

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr : I'm already in conversation with Andy and checking the details... he also recommends the one with PoE. And well, for 60 bugs more i think i wont care if i really use the PoE ports later or not :)

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have started to configure my NVR5216-16P-4KS2. How the heck do I play back the video so see that it's recorded ok? Nothing happens when I click play and the screens are blank too:
NVR Playback.PNG

Also, is this the best use of 2 x HDDs in there?

NVR HDD.PNG

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Andys quite accommodating to help you get through customs safely, shoot @EMPIRETECANDY a Conversation

Were a bit lucky in the US, the previous administration expanded De Minimis from $200 to $800 for duty free imports.. its made it alot easier to get electronics imported w/out hassle.
You lucky one. If it exceeds 22,5 EUR you have to pay tax. If item incl. shipping exceeds 150 EUR you have to pay percentual customs, depending what kind of goods it is, and then you have to pay the tax over all.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@crazykiler its the same in Croatia only difference tax is 25% comparing to Germany 19% and if goods exceeds 665eur you have to pay forwarder also:eek::mad:

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mmdb : I just checked the customs. Would be 12,2% customs for a NVR plus 19% tax over all. DHL would also take 2% and at least 10 EUR also plus tax of course o_O So if you calculate price / 100 * endprice you get a plus of about 37% at all.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This only use for our members here, we shipped around 100 lots till now, never have problem. Just one parcel cost 19 days. I have a list for the country which have such service I will share here.But only for EU countries.

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@crazykill. its ok when you buy something not expensive but when you buy for 1k or 2k eur and on top of that, you need to pay another +-50% its ridiculous if you ask me...

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the help. Honestly my brain is mush right now having researched ideas, builds, equipment, etc.

My plan is to run at least 8 ip cams, recording 24/7, with remote viewing on iPhone.

I would say I am 50/50 on buying the NVR5216-4KS2 with or without the Poe ports. Honestly don't know which way to go... I do not own a Poe switch so I guess my decision would be easier if I did already have one.

My understanding was that it would be easier to access and config your cameras if they were directly Poe into the nvr. That's not the case?

If the non Poe route was the way I went is it fairly simple to secure these cameras on my network? I am hoping some of you could help me with that aspect if I went that way?

I am also not ruling out a dedicated pc running blue iris. I have read many of you speak highly of this. What does it cost to own/run blue iris? Any helpful specs on which pc I should look at? How much would I need to spend?

Again I appreciate all of your help and I admit I am a noob when it comes to the nvr/pc side of things.
If you have not already pulled the trigger my suggestion is to go with the POE unit. I just replaced and old unit that did not have POE. I was running a POE switch with a lot of other stuff and I personally did not like the setup. Maybe if I ran a POE switch just for the NVR I may have a different opinion. So I broker down and bought the 5416 POE unit. The 5416 holds 4 hard drives so there is plenty of room for expansion. The pricing difference between the 5216 , 5416 , non POE and POE was minor. Well worth the extra money to go with the 5416 POE. It just simplifies everything!
Ask ANDY for a price on both and make your own decision. If you can afford the larger model I suggest you go for it. Having the ability to expand is always the better route to take.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This is the tracking from NL to DE, but firstly ship from China to NL, and passed the customs and will pick up again in NL by UPS and ship to these countries*******Poland Hungary Belgium Luxembourg Denmark Netherlands Austria Finland Ireland Portugal Sweden Czech Republic Northern Ireland Bulgaria Estonia Greece Lithuania Latvia Romania Slovenia Slovakia Croatia Italy Spain Germany France United Kingdom*********************I already did ship 6 big ptz to NL last year, no problem at all. Just help guys save some money. and we make payment already at NL, so not smuggling. Shipping speed from 10-15days if no delay at the customs.
upload_2017-2-22_22-40-22.png

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If you have not already pulled the trigger my suggestion is to go with the POE unit. I just replaced and old unit that did not have POE. I was running a POE switch with a lot of other stuff and I personally did not like the setup. Maybe if I ran a POE switch just for the NVR I may have a different opinion. So I broker down and bought the 5416 POE unit. The 5416 holds 4 hard drives so there is plenty of room for expansion. The pricing difference between the 5216 , 5416 , non POE and POE was minor. Well worth the extra money to go with the 5416 POE. It just simplifies everything!
Ask ANDY for a price on both and make your own decision. If you can afford the larger model I suggest you go for it. Having the ability to expand is always the better route to take.
lol, also has NVR5816 which has 8 HDD, but this is good for business area need 24hours watching and keep a longer video recording time.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
yep, this is the European Union which wants you to buy your stuff within the EU to strengthen the local market... well, i would do if they won't be that money-grubbing. If i would get it from local distributors i'd to pay 250% and wouldn't buy of course...