Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 / NVR5216-16P-4KS2

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
im not going to be using them, but generally no..
Bummer ....

I just got an alert my SD49225T-HN was delivered.. I will be like the kid at Christmas when I get home in the next hour. HAHA maybe I will get lucky and get the HNI...

mmdb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
can i connect monitor directly to 5216 and watch cameras live on screen ?

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you still access the cams directly if you plug a computer into one of the unused POE ports of the NVR ?
Yes or you can plug your regular switch into the unused PoE port and have all your network devices see them (only if the rest of the devices are trusted of-course). I've tried both methods and they worked for me.

Has anyone got a hardware hack to make this rack mountable? I don't have a spare shelf for it to sit on and the way I currently have mine sitting, one of the HDD vents is blocked.

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
how is viewing from a web browser with these new nvrs? mine should be here soon as well. I've been spoiled by the bp2008 viewer for blue iris and hope I can make the adjustment. I want to give a dedicated nvr a chance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
shit in comparison to the OSD or SmartPSS app, I almost never use it beyond basic config

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
that could be a deal breaker for me. My goal was to get away from having a windows box but then I would still need to run a vm just for smartpss.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Linux user? yeah you want to avoid hardware NVR's for the most part.. SmartPSS works fine on OSX, after over a decade of use I abandoned Linux on the desktop for these very reasons.. it does a shit job w/video for the most part.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've named my cameras on the nvr5216:

But why do the notifications show the camera number instead of name?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes or you can plug your regular switch into the unused PoE port and have all your network devices see them (only if the rest of the devices are trusted of-course). I've tried both methods and they worked for me.

Has anyone got a hardware hack to make this rack mountable? I don't have a spare shelf for it to sit on and the way I currently have mine sitting, one of the HDD vents is blocked.
Yours did not come with rack mount ears ?

spork

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Linux user? yeah you want to avoid hardware NVR's for the most part.. SmartPSS works fine on OSX, after over a decade of use I abandoned Linux on the desktop for these very reasons.. it does a shit job w/video for the most part.
Several times I've made attempts at going linux only and fail miserably. This was my main reason for wanting the hardware nvr. It seems silly that using a linux based nvr limits me from using a linux desktop to view it. They should really improve the web server on these units if they are that bad. Blue Iris and xprotect both work great for me in firefox.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the WebUI works in Linux w/Chrome App, but I think its a clunky UI.. it works, but the hard apps work so much better and have alot more features.. Mebe if I didnt use SmartPSS daily I could tolerate the WebUI alot more, but to me it feels like im taking a couple steps in the wrong direction trying to use it in place of SmartPSS

You could always plug a display into it and do most of the advanced config/use directly through the OSD

If you want to stick with all linux, check out: Bluecherry

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No and it doesn't have screw holes for them either. Andy was checking with Dahua around what they recommend.
I just looked at the data sheet and it looks to be a different case then the 5416 model which is odd because they list the 5216 as a PRO NVR. Odd they don't make the 5216 the same so it is rack mountable.
Why not just add a rack tray to your unit to place it in ?

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just looked at the data sheet and it looks to be a different case then the 5416 model which is odd because they list the 5216 as a PRO NVR. Odd they don't make the 5216 the same so it is rack mountable.
Why not just add a rack tray to your unit to place it in ?
I'm also so thinking about how to mount in rack. I think a rack tray won't fit my requirements. I want it "safe" mounted against robbers. Evidence has no sense if the thief takes them with him
Maybe I'll get another rack mountable server case and place the NVR inside, all cables already connected. So it would also be protected a bit more against hitting it.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah if I can't find a purpose built mount then I'll either get another shelf or move my switches around and have it sit on top of a switch.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Had same idea and have already a tray where my UPS lays on. Could also put it on top of the 4U Rack case, but I think I'll prefer something where it is mounted and maybe also hidden. Don't know if a thief will start to screw a case out of the rack, but maybe take the NVR with him if it's loose inside the rack or hit it if it's only mounted to the front.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
put it on a shelf and then install a 2U Rack fan infront of it.. if you sandwich it between some other hardware the'll have to take the fan out to find it.

or you could mount it to the side of a cabinet if you have servers on rails in there.. you'd have to pull a few servers out on the rails and then access it from the rear.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also so thinking about how to mount in rack. I think a rack tray won't fit my requirements. I want it "safe" mounted against robbers. Evidence has no sense if the thief takes them with him
Maybe I'll get another rack mountable server case and place the NVR inside, all cables already connected. So it would also be protected a bit more against hitting it.
if you can get a small steel cable ( along the lines of a laptop cable lock but smaller) . You could run it in and out of the casing holes then lock it to your rack. A small but effective deterrent. If they really want the thing they will do a smash and grab even if its rack mounted. Cheaper than a rack case.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had same idea and have already a tray where my UPS lays on. Could also put it on top of the 4U Rack case, but I think I'll prefer something where it is mounted and maybe also hidden. Don't know if a thief will start to screw a case out of the rack, but maybe take the NVR with him if it's loose inside the rack or hit it if it's only mounted to the front.
Another cheap option . Go to the hardware store and pickup a piece of 4" w X 20" l aluminum. Drill holes to line up with your rack use tamper resistant screws and put it in front of the NVR. They wont be able to slide it out.