Dahua poor auto tracking - What am I doing wrong?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@tibimakai feel free to reach out and will help where I can

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it a lot, but I think that is better, if we continue here, maybe somebody else can learn from it.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, this is after setting exposure to 1/125, 3D DNR= 40, FPS 20/20, 8192 bpr. I'm using CBR, that is what I should use(fixed bpr)?
It is pretty bright on my street, not to long ago, the city replaced the old school bulbs, with new LED lights. That is why I can run these cameras in color mode.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Better. Maybe try 1/50 with the light you have...

I prefer CBR, many will tell you VBR is better. Experiment and see which works best in your location.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Which camera model is this?

Ok you're still getting quite a bit of noise
Its going to be a lot of playing with settings in real time to be able to see differences.

I'd guess at going back to 1/120, make sure Sharpness is 50 or less, play with turning down Gain, and increase DNR last if either of the other 3 have a positive effect. Honestly it looks just like my older 5231 at the neighborhood entrance. Try as I might it just didnt pick up light well enough to run color at night without blur or those type of artifacts. You may be able to minimize it but doubt you'll get rid of it entirely with a 1/2.8 sensor

mrfrenzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Can't get my new SD59225U-HNI to track reliably. It's about 25% successful.

IVS rule:

View attachment 56601

Is it just the Dahua is not very good at tracking vs the Hikvision? Yes about 25% of the time it tracks perfectly fine but most of the time it's like this.
Your IVS lines are too close to the edge of the frame.
The lines need to be far enough inside the frame so the camera can detect and identify the object before it crosses the line.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Which camera model is this?

Ok you're still getting quite a bit of noise
Its going to be a lot of playing with settings in real time to be able to see differences.

I'd guess at going back to 1/120, make sure Sharpness is 50 or less, play with turning down Gain, and increase DNR last if either of the other 3 have a positive effect. Honestly it looks just like my older 5231 at the neighborhood entrance. Try as I might it just didnt pick up light well enough to run color at night without blur or those type of artifacts. You may be able to minimize it but doubt you'll get rid of it entirely with a 1/2.8 sensor

Worth noting also the location of the white light. While you have a bunch, most of it is coming from across the street facing you, not so much from the camera location facing out.

This effectively makes objects closer to the camera darker (backlit) from the camera view and actually negatively affects your image from the camera outwards.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
It is the SD59225U-HNI.
It seems like, the shutter speed does not change the quality of the image. With 1/30, it looks the same as previous settings.
I will try without backlight and both DNRs, at 90. Image looks great like this. A bit darker, but less grainy and not that much light coming from the street.
A little brightness and contrast in the second image.

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Until you have movement.... Any DNR over 50 is going to create motion blur like you started with.

The shutter speed (faster) helps 'freeze" movement. The image will get darker the higher/faster the exposure, but all that light at low shutter speed comes with a price of motion blur.

Dont use a static image without motion to judge your settings, it will trick you into thinking its good until something moves and it becomes a ghost.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I did not know that about DNR, good to know. I will back it down than.
So, toward which exposure should I be to have a good moving image? Toward 1/30. or 1/120?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The faster the shutter/exposure, the better you freeze motion So 1/120 is 4x faster than 1/30

yes keep all DNR below 50

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Tonight, I have updated the firmware to the August firmware. Mine it was still running on a 2018/12 firmware.
After resetting the camera, I'm setting it up again. Just an update.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are there any settings to use that minimize the recording of bugs at night? I get a lot of moths flying around and it's almost a constant recording.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You can set up the object size, target area filtering. If you go by the default, you will get a lot of false motion events. :)

Are there any settings to use that minimize the recording of bugs at night? I get a lot of moths flying around and it's almost a constant recording.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can set up the object size, target area filtering. If you go by the default, you will get a lot of false motion events. :)
I've never fooled with those settings. Is there a compendium of what all the controls do and how to adjust them?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You can follow this tutorial as per the Dahua Wiki

Click on the link below,

Focus where it discusses about Target Size, the size will determine the sensitivity and when to mark an object as Intrusion/Tripwire :)

1586352597325.png

I've never fooled with those settings. Is there a compendium of what all the controls do and how to adjust them?

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can follow this tutorial as per the Dahua Wiki

Click on the link below,

Focus where it discusses about Target Size, the size will determine the sensitivity and when to mark an object as Intrusion/Tripwire :)

View attachment 59024
that's good, I'll look through there. I've not see a set up manual for the software so I've just been clicking around in the dark basically.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua Wiki is a good resource, doesn't matter if you're new to this, intermediate, or pro. Imagine tinkering with an option and then being unable to do that action because it potentially involves more than one step to go back, :lol:

that's good, I'll look through there. I've not see a set up manual for the software so I've just been clicking around in the dark basically.