Dahua problems...

fflaque

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought 2 Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A hooked up through Netgear POE switch. Initially ran into trouble as they both had the same IP, so switched one and they worked for a day, then one does not show up at all and won't initialize. Unplugged my router to see if cutting the power and letting it restart would fix it but now both are not showing up on the network. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Both cameras are receiving power and have red light on.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought 2 Dahua IPC-HDW4631C-A hooked up through Netgear POE switch. Initially ran into trouble as they both had the same IP, so switched one and they worked for a day, then one does not show up at all and won't initialize. Unplugged my router to see if cutting the power and letting it restart would fix it but now both are not showing up on the network. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Both cameras are receiving power and have red light on.
ensure the cables are wired to the 568b standard. You are also using hacked china region cameras.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua cameras all have the same default static ip. You have to change that.

Reset the cam that isn't working if it isn't just an ip conflict. Avoid hacked china region cams in the future

doobam

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua cameras all have the same default static ip. You have to change that.

Reset the cam that isn't working if it isn't just an ip conflict. Avoid hacked china region cams in the future
How to tell if they are hacked "china region cams"?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are hacked the part number has "C-A" . If the seller indicates not upgradable they are. Most cameras on amazon and ebay are hacked.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
This is what I'd do (not guaranteeing it's the best or quickest way):
1. Connect only one of the cameras to the network.
2. Try to find it scanning with the dahua config tool. You may have to change it's search setting.
3. If step 2 fails, try advanced IP scanner. This should find the camera.
4. Log into the camera and change its IP address.
5. Disconnect the first camera and repeat for the second camera.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @fflaque

You've already got some great advice, so I just wanted to add the following:

Remember to NOT port forward, turn off UPnP, turn off P2P, and use a VPN on your router if you want to remotely access the cameras.

Ideally, keep these cameras off the internet if you are not comfortable securing them properly. ( see the wiki for more notes )

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I think I’m doing everything wrong for remote camera access. I’v port forwarded, i’m useing UPnP, and I’m useing that darn XMEye that Sunba suggested. I’m using XMEye for my PTZ only if BI shuts down. This allows me to at lest see, from home, 1 camera to kinda assure I haven’t been ransacked. What I’m asking here is what do I need to do right to prevent being hacked? Thanks.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay, I think I’m doing everything wrong for remote camera access. I’v port forwarded, i’m useing UPnP, and I’m useing that darn XMEye that Sunba suggested. I’m using XMEye for my PTZ only if BI shuts down. This allows me to at lest see, from home, 1 camera to kinda assure I haven’t been ransacked. What I’m asking here is what do I need to do right to prevent being hacked? Thanks.
Like you wrote: in an advanced mode, you put your IPC's in a seperate vlan with intervlan firewalling, or, alternatively, you put your cams in another (non-routable) subnet which can't access the internetz. In any case, do NOT let your cams phone home OR open ports from the internet to them. It is that simple. If you need to see your cams, you ONLY port forward 1 port to your (Open)VPN server and you can grab your video stream through that VPN tunnel.

Hope this helps!
CC