Dahua Starlight problems

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Examples
(remember to change youtube quality to 1440)

And dont get all hung up on having to force color at night. You need a shit ton of white light to do it well. Many cameras are not sensitive enough to use color at night.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
But wouldn't this expose my cams to vandals? At that height bad people can come and brake them with baseball bats.
I hate this comment - Not that you personally made it, but that people make it pretty often and rarely is it founded. Just because in the movies people spray paint cameras and hit them with bats doesn't mean that it happens every day.

My response to that is always this. In order for someone to hit a camera with a bat they have to walk up and look at it when they hit it - you can't hit a baseball with your eyes closed. This means, they will be looking directly at your camera for the perfect face capture. Sure, they may have a mask on, but that can be an issue regardless of mounting location. Bottom line - multiple cameras in different locations providing adequate coverage is always your best option. Even if someone does this to one camera you should have another camera that captures additional movements. Let's be honest, you arn't a bank, chances of anyone doing any of the prior are your paranoia. Move your cameras down :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And you'll have excellent footage of them as they approach the camera to use that baseball bat. Up high, you won't even know, for sure, what sex they are let alone be able to get an identification. Think about the angles involved and what the video will show from those angles.

wrx5

n3wb
Reaction score
Move your cameras down :)
Would love to and you guys are right with all you said. However, moving them down is a bit of job. (quiet a bit of job). I cannot do anything for those ones but I might get some new ones later on to add into existing system. I have six cameras on 16 port NVR so plenty of free POE ports available.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It always seems anything worthwhile is some work. As long as you're happy knowing what happened and not who did it you're in good shape. But as looney2nes says "we want to know who did it, not just what happened".

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would love to and you guys are right with all you said. However, moving them down is a bit of job. (quiet a bit of job). I cannot do anything for those ones but I might get some new ones later on to add into existing system. I have six cameras on 16 port NVR so plenty of free POE ports available.
Get a varifocal camera that you can zoom in a bit then.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot do anything for those ones but I might get some new ones later on to add into existing system.
Whats nice is that once you start adding new cameras that better cover your key areas (like driveway, door, etc) you can zoom your 2831s out and use them as overview cameras, covering larger areas. Their goal would simply be to let you know someone is getting near your house, .. you'd used the other cameras to try and ID that person.

Reaction score
What I did was put a dummy mail box on front of house, it is high enough to see over a car if parked and capture license plates too, Most people don't spot it as they look high up, and the IR lite isn't as noticeable, because I put several reflective tapes on garage door, so when cars put up, (we live on a circle). they get those flashes, used the transport tape from on back of commercial trucks, available at parts stores.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Educate yourself here: Cliff Notes

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bigredfish has the some of the best sample videos on here esp. of driveway shots. I would try and mimic what he has set up if you want good footage of people messing with cars in the driveway.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great idea @wrx5 : ".. I might get some new ones later on to add into existing system."