Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Auto reboot?

Is there any reason to have the camera reboot daily or weekly? I have my cams set up to reboot weekly.

M!key

n3wb
Reaction score
So an update to the IR lights not working on one of my cams:

As was recommended, I took the camera's case apart and found the IR wire was entirely disconnected.. however, I cant seem to find where it connects to. I've taken the entire board out of the case and inspected it, yet still can't find a header. I did find a spot on the board that looks like it might have been the correct spot but it doesn't have any pins/header soldered on it, just blank solder pads. Does someone have an HDW5231R-Z cam thats not installed and can crack the case open and tell me where the white 4-pin IR LED wire goes..? Some pics:

The white 4-pin wire was disconnected and semi-tucked under the bracket for the IR LED's. The 2 red/black wire is for the mic; I disconnected it from the board.

Overview:

In the middle of this photo is a spot with 5 solder pads. There's no header/pins installed in it.. This is the only spot I could find that might be where the 4 wire LED wire would connect to (if it had a header).

Any help or ideas? Can anyone confirm where the 4-wire LED plugs into?

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is the weather adapter the wrong size for everyone? Mine doesn't fit the end of the ethernet plug through. I ended up tucking it all up inside the roof cavity but was wondering if this was normal or not.
Like i said, 2 of the 5 were a smaller size that didn't fit at all...ike it is for a different camera and cable... Other 3 were fine....weather plugs are pretty easy to get, so it's not a big deal.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would best faster to find the plug type(and cheap) and order i would think... but if you don't wanna solder, I'm sure Andy will make it right.

M!key

n3wb
Reaction score
Another weird thing about this particular camera is the serial number.. My other two HDW5231's have similar serial numbers (just the last 2 numbers are different) but this one that's missing the IR connector has an entirely different serial number, nothing like the other two.. kinda weird.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another weird thing about this particular camera is the serial number.. My other two HDW5231's have similar serial numbers (just the last 2 numbers are different) but this one that's missing the IR connector has an entirely different serial number, nothing like the other two.. kinda weird.
but you have the option to turn it on and off with software?

M!key

n3wb
Reaction score
but you have the option to turn it on and off with software?
Yup, the web interface and options are the same as the other cameras. I can switch the IR on manually but it doesn't do anything.. obviously since the wires aren't connected.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thats fucked up, looks like someone dropped the ball at fabrication.. im guessing the component picker dropped the part, baked the board and the guy putting it all together just said fuckit and left the wires hanging instead of sending the board off for manual repair.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This makes me suspicious that a wire was hanging on by a thread inside my bullet and got bumped loose.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've personally dropped one of mine exactly 7ft onto concrete, and it works like a charm, another reason that solidified my choice of using dahua.

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got my IPC-HDW5431R-Z of Andy yesterday. Damn fast shipping I must add, Ordered Friday and had it Monday in Australia. Anyway, not off to a good start as I can't seem to find the camera on the network, the IR lights aren't coming on either and I've tried a couple of PoE switches that work fine with my other Dahua. Do these things have a default IP address? I tried 192.168.1.108 but that timed out.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IR lights only come on if your in a dark enough room to trigger night mode.. try putting your finger over the light sensor for a 10count.

192.168.1.108 is the default IP, admin/admin is default login.. are you getting link and power lights on your switch? Is the machine your trying to use for setup also on the same switch?

nogi

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
192.168.1.108 is the default IP, admin/admin is default login.. are you getting link and power lights on your switch? Is the machine your trying to use for setup also on the same switch?
Lights came on in the switch, IR lights don't come on in the dark. I skyped with Andy last night we tried a few things like disconnecting all my other cameras and making sure nothing was on 192.168.1.108. The NVR was at first but I moved that to a different IP. The Dahua config tool doesn't pick it up with a scan either. I might look up the manual regarding a factory reset and see if that clears it up? It's the generic casing one and not the Dahua branded one if that makes any difference? Andy said it was the same camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there's a button inside that needs held on boot, its possible after QA testing it failed to get reset and retained some configuration/settings that the testing rig left.. I imagine they test hundreds of these at a time so they likely get assigned an IP and ran through a stress test for a day or two to expose problems.

When I worked for a PC builder we loaded up new builds w/stress testing software and let it run for a whole week w/out crashing before it was boxed up and shipped out.

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
I got my IPC-HDW5431R-Z of Andy yesterday. Damn fast shipping I must add, Ordered Friday and had it Monday in Australia. Anyway, not off to a good start as I can't seem to find the camera on the network, the IR lights aren't coming on either and I've tried a couple of PoE switches that work fine with my other Dahua. Do these things have a default IP address? I tried 192.168.1.108 but that timed out.
I had troubles and found that it wasn't the right spec POE injector.
Maybe view your router logs when your plugging it in for any changes? Sadly I couldn't see any way on the camera itself to know if it was receiving power.