Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

M!key

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, out of the 3 HDW5231R-Z's that I just received, one has IR lights that don't work. Tried everything but can't get them to come on. Running the latest firmware. Anyone else having this issue?

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking to purchase some of these starlights here in the U.K/Northern Ireland. Any uk people here that purchased them know what the added cost is for import duty and if VAT is added also? Is there a quantity restriction recommended to stick to?

Do you order via Andy directly here or via Aliexpress?

Many thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, out of the 3 HDW5231R-Z's that I just received, one has IR lights that don't work. Tried everything but can't get them to come on. Running the latest firmware. Anyone else having this issue?
try a factory reset if you haven't already. If you crack open it as you would to install a micro sd card I'd look for any loose / disconnected connectors.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Cisco SF300 24PP with 24 ports POE and 2 gigabit upstream port managed switch with the ability to isolate the cameras to its own VLAN can be bought used on EBay for less than a new dumb 8 port POE switch...
Have you set one of these up? Unlike other managed switches, mine can't be set up to allow a port to access 2 VLANs, making it useless to isolate the cameras from the WAN while allowing the NVR to access the WAN. If there is a way to do this, I'd sure like somebody to tell me how. There might be a way to do it at level 3, but I really want to stay at level 2 and not have to become a network expert to configure the system.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you aren't in a super hot area, try painting it the same color as the house(i did). I've asked pretty much every person that has come to my house, and no one has said they noticed them until I mention it. If they aren't in your face height wise, I don't feel the turrents are THAT obvious.
That's a good idea. I will propose that and see if it flies. :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you set one of these up? Unlike other managed switches, mine can't be set up to allow a port to access 2 VLANs, making it useless to isolate the cameras from the WAN while allowing the NVR to access the WAN. If there is a way to do this, I'd sure like somebody to tell me how. There might be a way to do it at level 3, but I really want to stay at level 2 and not have to become a network expert to configure the system.
you need a VLAN Capable router to route traffic between vlans

iwoloschin

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a good way to get a http mjpeg stream off of this camera? I bought one to play with, hoping it'd work well as a baby monitor in my daughter's near pitch black room. Good news, it works better than expected, bad news, without a http mjpeg stream it doesn't integrate nicely into an existing Home Assistant setup I have running at home. I can use ffmpeg to convert it on the fly (via Home Assistant) but unfortunately, that's currently running on a Raspberry Pi 3 which seems to choke on the transcoding from H264 to mjpeg. I don't currently have another more powerful, always on computer, so I'd like to try and make it work as is, but unless the camera can output what I want, it looks like I might need to upgrade my home "server" (which isn't bad timing with AMD deciding to come back and play ball...).

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a reliable place to get updated firmware for this camera? I saw that the first page for this thread has a link to firmware dated 12/16. Just curious if that is the latest and where to look in the future?

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes it does. I WAS happy with my old cameras. Now... they look like crap.

I'm trying to rationalize where it's OK to leave some of the older ones in place. With 16 cameras, this is going to be expensive.

I guess I can re-purpose some of the older ones as "broader overviews" to see "what" vs. "who"...

This is going to be expensive.
I'm going through the same thought process. I have some areas where I still like the option of moving the camera, however in some areas, I'm turning off the IR on the Dahua, and using the camera that's there simply to generate the IR light. This way, I remove the false positives from snow and rain, and I have a backup (at least until the old cameras fail). The advanced low-light of the Dahua cameras get sooo much of a better image from the light from the old cameras, I wouldn't bother replacing them with a dedicated IR light until those also fail.

iwoloschin

n3wb
Reaction score
you can set a substream to mjpeg
I tried that, but it's still a stream through rtsp, which Home Assistant seemed to :puke: on, I think because it's looking for http, not rtsp, but when I try changing the URL to http://$IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1 the camera returns an error page.

Using ffmpeg I can see the rtsp stream is mjpeg, so maybe I can trick ffmpeg into not really doing anything and just passing that through without doing any transcoding?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Code:
http://hostname/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?subtype=1
note latest firmware seems to have removed MJPEG, Should consider replacing whatever crap that is that requires MJPEG.

Solesk

n3wb
Reaction score
If it's just a baby monitor can you lower the resolution? Then the pi may not choke.

Cyph

n3wb
Reaction score
I have not used the SF300 yet, but based on past experience, you have to create a trunk (look up trunking). Alternatively, treat it as separate switches and create a routing table. Allow camera vlan1 to route to NVR vlan2, then drop all packets from vlan1 to internet uplink port.

set system mode {router} will switch it into router mode.

Last edited:

bigjezza

n3wb
Reaction score
Code:
note latest firmware seems to have removed MJPEG, Should consider replacing whatever crap that is that requires MJPEG.
I found the image better with a 40mbps stream in mjpg than h264...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
40Mbps vs 6Mbps, obviously ones more compressed.. but its not good enough for nearly 7x the storage requirements.

I'm supprised these go that high, my 4MP LPR barely hits 40Mbps on MJPEG w/out overloading the network interface.

bigjezza

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I just wish they had higher bitrate for h264... My hikvisions goto 16mbps (lowered to 12 in later firmware) It would be nice if these did too. I was just pointing out that as old as mjpeg is, its nice to have it there, to provide a lesser compressed image. I suppose high bitrate h264 is too much for the brain on these things.

iwoloschin

n3wb
Reaction score
Code:
Tried that, get a page that just says "404 Not Found", guess that's not a feature then.

As far as MJPEG goes though, if it "just works" in a web browser that's a pretty big plus for me, even if it technically sucks. Sure, I'd prefer H.264 myself, but "works today" always wins over "technically better" in my book!

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
If you buy from Andy, he stands behind his product...

The only issue I've had with 2 of the 5 I've bought, is the weather plug for ethernet was the wrong size and wouldn't fit (too small)... it's such an easy work around and if that's the only problem I'm still making out vs other options.
Is the weather adapter the wrong size for everyone? Mine doesn't fit the end of the ethernet plug through. I ended up tucking it all up inside the roof cavity but was wondering if this was normal or not.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the weather adapter the wrong size for everyone? Mine doesn't fit the end of the ethernet plug through. I ended up tucking it all up inside the roof cavity but was wondering if this was normal or not.
I haven't experienced a single issue out of the 8 cameras I received. Without stating the obvious, the ethernet plug has to be terminated after feeding the cable through the rear of the weatherproof connector.