Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TommyR

n3wb
Reaction score
Get another 110pcs today, so now 220 stock in now for this model.
Hi Andy,
Since you have enough stock now, any chance to send my order today or tomorrow? I ordered last week via aliexpress and still awaiting shipment. Order under R***n T.
Thanks,
Tommy

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Buried deep in this thread.. About 20 pages back. Only downside to having almost 3,000 replies in one thread.... But I asked same question and nayr summed it up pretty well...

redundancy on recordings and automatic network recovery is why I put SD cards in everything

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks - hopefully 32gb will suffice. 2 for £16
what size did you go for.

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not putting any SD cards in my cameras. They're expensive enough as it is and I'm not wanting to add another $20/camera.

Also banking on not having a double jeopardy situation... Someone would have to break into my house /barn at the same time my NVR fails and/or also steal my NVR. Murphy will likely make an ass of me for that but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
would be doubly annoying if someone stole your camera with an expensive sdcard in it ;)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not putting any SD cards in my cameras. They're expensive enough as it is and I'm not wanting to add another $20/camera.

Also banking on not having a double jeopardy situation... Someone would have to break into my house /barn at the same time my NVR fails and/or also steal my NVR. Murphy will likely make an ass of me for that but that's a risk I'm willing to take.
I kinda feel like you are better off buying an NVR and hiding it somewhere rather than SD cards in the cams.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
would be doubly annoying if someone stole your camera with an expensive sdcard in it ;)
it would be, if you got some sort of alert though from cameras, sensors, something, they hopefully would not have time to be doing all of that lol. I'm thinking of either a dedicated nvr that records 24/7 for backup, or a small nas drive with ftp for alert pics to go to instead of email.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A mistake (in my opinion) a lot of people make is that a thieves are rational thinkers. In the videos I've watched here you constantly see them noticing the cameras then trying to hide their faces (like that's gonna do any good at that point) and then continue stealing whatever it is they are there for. If they're there trying to get something specific they want to get in and out... Not hunt around for a NVR... Even if they knew what it was if they were looking at it.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm thinking of either a dedicated nvr that records 24/7 for backup, or a small nas drive with ftp for alert pics to go to instead of email.
A second nvr is likely way more expensive than putting an SD card in each camera. Also email snippets with video attached will essentially store these events in the cloud.

There's a thousand incremental steps to take after getting a camera system in place you could take to further increase your security. You have to stop at some point otherwise you'll end up with an armed security guard on your property 24/7.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Saturday will process another 110pcs HDW5231R-Z, all alipay and most Paypal paid guys' orders can be with this lot.
SD49225T-HN 10PCS stock in.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z 10PCS in
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 10pcs in

By the way, the shipment we shipped 145pcs last week, now all on the way to the different guys' door now, please take care of them, because lost some parcels these days in US and thanks for all guys support and help.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
A second nvr is likely way more expensive than putting an SD card in each camera. Also email snippets with video attached will essentially store these events in the cloud.

There's a thousand incremental steps to take after getting a camera system in place you could take to further increase your security. You have to stop at some point otherwise you'll end up with an armed security guard on your property 24/7.
I dunno about that, a GOOD 128gb SD card for every camera, say you have 8 or 10 cameras, adds up. You are right though, at some point you have to call it good enough lol.

A mistake (in my opinion) a lot of people make is that a thieves are rational thinkers. In the videos I've watched here you constantly see them noticing the cameras then trying to hide their faces (like that's gonna do any good at that point) and then continue stealing whatever it is they are there for. If they're there trying to get something specific they want to get in and out... Not hunt around for a NVR... Even if they knew what it was if they were looking at it.
you are also right, I've been burglarized once. Most thieves are there for small things that are valuable that they know they can sell, jewelry, electronics, I did have a couple big TVs taken in the burglary, that was it, and they definitely searched everywhere, even moving the fucking matresses like they think people keep bags of money under there. currently I do snapshots attached to emails, I only worry with lots of cameras they might start to clog up the outbound connection and maybe not get out fast enough I dunno, even that is probably overly paranoid. Not too likely to take a desktop computer sitting there but possible. I am hoping if it happens again though the fact that I will get some kind of alert on my phone will limit their time to take stuff because I will call the cops, drop whatever I am doing and start hauling ass for my house, and call my buddy who lives a mile away to arm himself and get over there. so hopefully any burglar will be limited to 15 minutes or less, depending on how slow the cops are. I also have a dog that fucking hates everyone though, so if that doesn't totally deter them it might also slow them down. hoping to hook up some sort of siren or something soon if for no other reason then to let said scumbag thief know they've set off some kind of alarm and are on limited time.

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Saturday will process another 110pcs HDW5231R-Z, all alipay and most Paypal paid guys' orders can be with this lot.
SD49225T-HN 10PCS stock in.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z 10PCS in
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 10pcs in

By the way, the shipment we shipped 145pcs last week, now all on the way to the different guys' door now, please take care of them, because lost some parcels these days in US and thanks for all guys support and help.
Hopefully Andy one of those HFW5231E-Z will be heading to the UK from my Aliexpress order I placed 19/3

TommyR

n3wb
Reaction score
I dunno about that, a GOOD 128gb SD card for every camera, say you have 8 or 10 cameras, adds up. You are right though, at some point you have to call it good enough lol.

you are also right, I've been burglarized once. Most thieves are there for small things that are valuable that they know they can sell, jewelry, electronics, I did have a couple big TVs taken in the burglary, that was it, and they definitely searched everywhere, even moving the fucking matresses like they think people keep bags of money under there. currently I do snapshots attached to emails, I only worry with lots of cameras they might start to clog up the outbound connection and maybe not get out fast enough I dunno, even that is probably overly paranoid. Not too likely to take a desktop computer sitting there but possible. I am hoping if it happens again though the fact that I will get some kind of alert on my phone will limit their time to take stuff because I will call the cops, drop whatever I am doing and start hauling ass for my house, and call my buddy who lives a mile away to arm himself and get over there. so hopefully any burglar will be limited to 15 minutes or less, depending on how slow the cops are. I also have a dog that fucking hates everyone though, so if that doesn't totally deter them it might also slow them down. hoping to hook up some sort of siren or something soon if for no other reason then to let said scumbag thief know they've set off some kind of alarm and are on limited time.
I had the same dilemma - what to do if I receive an alert. Decided to go for additional measure - security system with 4 sensors and back to base monitoring. It's activated in just 20 or so seconds and extremely loud with siren both inside and outside. I doubt any burglar will have a chance and will continue roaming through the house. I need cameras mostly to see what's going on when I'm away plus to identify the intruder afterwards is needed.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I had the same dilemma - what to do if I receive an alert. Decided to go for additional measure - security system with 4 sensors and back to base monitoring. It's activated in just 20 or so seconds and extremely loud with siren both inside and outside. I doubt any burglar will have a chance and will continue roaming through the house. I need cameras mostly to see what's going on when I'm away plus to identify the intruder afterwards is needed.
did you set up your own system and they monitor it or what?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What do you mean with automatic network recovery with the sd card?
Automatic Network Recovery aka ANR is a feature of the NVR to retrieve any lost data the cameras may contain after a NVR outage.. requires local recording on the camera.

Nobody said anything about stuffing 128GB cards in every camera; 32GB is adequate for the last 24h if your using h265.. even 16GB is better than nothing if your NVR is stolen.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Automatic Network Recovery aka ANR is a feature of the NVR to retrieve any lost data the cameras may contain after a NVR outage.. requires local recording on the camera.

Nobody said anything about stuffing 128GB cards in every camera; 32GB is adequate for the last 24h if your using h265.. even 16GB is better than nothing if your NVR is stolen.
Sounds good, didn't recognize that feature before. Actually I stuff 64GB cards in my new cams for 18€ each. Maybe I could also get cheaper. Bought this fast ones because I had some missing frames while motion detection. But this seems to be another problem with some cams. Disabling snapshots and only recording video made it bit better. Will also use some 32GB I already own. The needed size depends on the frequency of motion triggers.
Will try some more with my 5232-16P-4KS2 on Friday while I have holiday