Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Could there be an issue with the NTSC firmware that doesn't show up in the PAL firmware? I did some searching and noticed most everyone has the PAL firmware so maybe that's why nothing has been reported about the NTSC firmware.
Maybe? I currently have two of these cams, the first one came with PAL firmware and the second with NTSC, but I have not noticed any problems with either of them. Just for kicks I upgraded the firmware on the PAL camera to the latest, but it hasn't had any noticeable effect. I hesitate to install the PAL firmware on the cam that is currently NTSC because I actually use its sub stream at 30 FPS for a live monitor and if I switch it to PAL firmware that will get cut back to 25 FPS. I would probably never notice the difference but it is the principle of it that bothers me. Letting old analog broadcasting standards interfere with modern digital technology specs is stupid. IP cameras using "PAL" are a downgrade from "NTSC". Period.

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
... I hesitate to install the PAL firmware on the cam that is currently NTSC because I actually use its sub stream at 30 FPS for a live monitor and if I switch it to PAL firmware that will get cut back to 25 FPS. I would probably never notice the difference but it is the principle of it that bothers me. Letting old analog broadcasting standards interfere with modern digital technology specs is stupid. IP cameras using "PAL" are a downgrade from "NTSC". Period.
Would you even be able to play a PAL stream on your NTSC TV?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
So I slapped an SD card in this thing and I can tell it's recording but I don't see anything in playback, I set the pack duration to 30 minutes, does that mean I won't see anything until it's been 30 minutes and it's closed out a file? I haven't been waiting 30 minutes yet, impatient, lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
One more question gents, dahua's site says this camera can do 1080p on a third stream, I'd like to record h.265 to the SD card, I checked both sub streams and none of them let me choose 1080p?

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it showed finally haha, love this option for backup, now that the tests went well I will get memory cards for all of the cameras. No need for second NVR anymore heh.
Can BI pull from the SD cards like the Dahua NVR can?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it means a second main stream.
My Hikvision (and other brand) cameras are all supplying 3 main streams with no problems - 2 NVRs and a NAS.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to help, I logged into my dahua PTZ and it's fine and gives me 1080p as an option on one of the sub streams, annoying, lol.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to help, I logged into my dahua PTZ and it's fine and gives me 1080p as an option on one of the sub streams, annoying, lol.
Maybe your PTZ has more performance!? I had this with the frame rate. If you use 25 fps for main stream I only could use 1 fps for third. While choosing 20fps on main gives me more fps for third.
I'm out for holidays right now and can't test…

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe your PTZ has more performance!? I had this with the frame rate. If you use 25 fps for main stream I only could use 1 fps for third. While choosing 20fps on main gives me more fps for third.
I'm out for holidays right now and can't test…
I tried dropping fps of the main stream, most I could get is 720p on the second sub stream, which should go to 1080p, maybe there is a setting somewhere limiting me, not sure, if Blue Iris would stop being a jerk and support h.265 I could just change the main stream lol. Maybe I should bug Ken.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried dropping fps of the main stream, most I could get is 720p on the second sub stream, which should go to 1080p, maybe there is a setting somewhere limiting me, not sure, if Blue Iris would stop being a jerk and support h.265 I could just change the main stream lol. Maybe I should bug Ken.
Maybe resolution or also using H.264 with the main stream will change possibilities for the third stream. Just give it shot and let me know. I'm also thinking about buying some of these model

tul9033

Young grasshopper
Reaction score