Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

davw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered via Andy on Aliexpress for UK Delivery. Recieved a sms text message from DHL informing me that I need to make a "payment for importation" £4.01
Is this normal?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ordered via Andy on Aliexpress for UK Delivery. Recieved a sms text message from DHL informing me that I need to make a "payment for importation" £4.01
Is this normal?
That's the downside of using a courier service for delivery to the UK - they collect Import Duty and Tax strictly by the rules. And you will probably get stuck with their £15 handling charge as well.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i wanted to ask @nayr what HTTP commands he used in his home automation system; then i thought; Let Me Google That For Me :)

I found the answer on a German forum and there are some good discussions (with code samples) going on there. Below i have translated some stuff in English for the programmers among us.

Videostream (H.264, H.265):
Main: rtsp://[IP-Address]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
Sub1: rtsp://[IP-Address]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Sub2: rtsp://[IP-Address]:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2
Videostream (MJPEG):
Main: http://[IP-Address]/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=0
Sub1: http://[IP-Address]/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=1
Sub2: http://[IP-Address]/cgi-bin/mjpg/video.cgi?channel=1&subtype=2
The three available streams can be either H.264 / H.265 or MJPEG, depending on what is configured in the web interface.
The config changes automatically as soon as a URL is called. Example: Substream1 is configured for H.264. If the URL for MJPEG-Substream1 is called, the config will automatically change to MJPEG.

Substream 2 can be used for the display beside the front door on a cheap Tablet with the App Tinycam Monitor Pro. As soon as the presence detector before tablet recognises motion the tablet is activated by WOLI (WOLi - Android Apps on Google Play). I think you can achieve the same functionality with for example Tasker.

Snapshot:
Main: http://[IP-Address]/cgi-bin/snapshot.cgi
Switch between the profiles day and night:
In the setup under Camera / Conditions / Profile Management, select "Full Time" and set to "Day" or "Night".

Switch by URL:
DayMode: http://[IP-Address]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0
NightMode: http://[IP-Address]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1
Sources:
Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z - sehr gute und lichtstarke Outdoor IP-Kamera - KNX-User-Forum
Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z Kamera: Anmeldung gelingt nicht mit Edomi - KNX-User-Forum

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So if you click the down arrow in the box that says "Sub Stream 1" it doesn't give you a drop down box to choose between sub stream 1 or 2?

Mine does.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So if you click the down arrow in the box that says "Sub Stream 1" it doesn't give you a drop down box to choose between sub stream 1 or 2?

Mine does.
:banghead: - Right you are. Staring right in front of me. Although in saying that it still doesn't let you select 1080p on that third stream like the specs say which is the point @hmjgriffon was making.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hm yea not sure about that. What's everyone using the sub streams for?
I get the NVR recording main stream for great quality, then maybe remotely viewing one of the lower quality sub streams, but what else?

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good question, haha! The uses for mine are much like yours, unsure what to do with a third. All I know is if it says it's meant to support 1080p on the third sub-stream I would like to know why it cannot be selected.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I get the NVR recording main stream for great quality, then maybe remotely viewing one of the lower quality sub streams, but what else?
I think people are just trying to find a reason to bitch and complain instead of just using the great product and being happy.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think people are just trying to find a reason to bitch and complain instead of just using the great product and being happy.
I understand being upset that something you bought doesn't deliver on its advertising, but I guess pick your battles.

Also I'm not sure what the point is since I believe you can pull any of the streams as many times as you want? Right? You could have 3 NVR's all recording the main stream, then a BI computer also pulling it plus a wall mounted tablet live streaming in your kitchen and then a TV in your living room and garage all pulling the mainstream too if you wanted. Then at the same time have 5 people remotely viewing the lower bandwidth sub stream 1 and maybe a website constantly streaming the sub stream as well?

Here's to hoping someone chimes in with some real world uses.... Even if they are out of the scope of what us home users would even ever need. There's gotta be some reason for them...

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
today just finished the talking with dahua guys, will have some more new cams will release soon. Bad luck, got a bad cold, Shenzhen has 27 degrees, here Hangzhou only 10degrees, big difference. the stock, no worry, 110pcs on the way to my office now. Another 220pcs i think this week also can be closed.
Sorry for all delayed answering. Here is the West lake picture i taken this afternoon. I also will bring some news about some new cams and Tech. also dahua policy for the selling in USA.
upload_2017-3-28_21-44-26.png
Andy

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Beautiful view there Andy :)

today just finished the talking with dahua guys, will have some more new cams will release soon. Bad luck, got a bad cold, Shenzhen has 27 degrees, here Hangzhou only 10degrees, big difference. the stock, no worry, 110pcs on the way to my office now. Another 220pcs i think this week also can be closed.
Sorry for all delayed answering. Here is the West lake picture i taken this afternoon. I also will bring some news about some new cams and Tech. also dahua policy for the selling in USA.
View attachment 16703
Andy

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
the ONLY reason I need the third separate stream, and it's not a huge deal, is because blue iris only lets me do h.264 on the main stream, and I am recording to local SD card in the camera, if I could use the 3rd stream at 1080p and h.265, I could fit twice as many hours of backup footage on the SD card, but right now I think it fits about 8 hours so that's not too bad, if something goes down I should know before then and be able to stop recording on the cameras before the footage gets over-written.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon at 8hrs per loop to your SD, even with a good brand of consumer card, that is three writes per day. you will be lucky to get one year of life or there about, so it would be good to change things if possible (larger card, less recording, more compression, etc).