Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can this be mounted flat against a horizontal wall, or do you need to buy the additional wall mount? Doesnt seem like Andy is stocking the mount.
Hi Caveman,

Sometimes Andy does seem to have the mounts / junction boxes. Do contact him directly and check.

A PoE camera has about 16-18" of cable to the end of the connector

Options:
a) Mount directly on wall - drill 3/4" hole - connect cat5e/cat6 within the wall or attic ( or you can use plumbers tape and leave the connection section under the roof overhang if you have one )
or
b) Use a junction box or wall mount ( over hanging box ) to mount the camera ( for HDWxxR-Z series - PFA137, PFB203W )
For Junction box you can mount it directly on the wall - making a smaller hole for the cat5e/cat6 cable in the wall OR use a conduit
Connect the cables within the junction box.

So, in many cases the junction box is nice if you do not have a good way to easily connect the cables without leaving them exposed to the elements OR if you need to drill smaller holes through your walls. ( example if you have a brick or concrete building. )

Note the junction boxes / wall mount do give you a slight stand off from the wall, which maybe useful.
( example - I have a location which I would like to place the box and need some standoff to clear the gutter drain pipe )

Also, IF you purchase junction boxes / wall mounts and find that you have surplus after installing there is a classified section here - and these products work with a number of dahua cameras which have the same form factor.

[ note: If Andy is out of stock: I've had good luck when I purchased from Jimbu on Aliexpress - if you purchase enough from them they will DHL the shipment, and in my case they were fast. ]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still alive; just busy as fuck.. ~76 days and counting til lil Leonardo is born (7-17-17), shits ramped into high gear.. lots of loose ends to tie up.

Bought a new vehicle, got 2 derelict ones out of here, cleaned up the garage, cleaned up the yard, painting kids rooms, refurbished an old John Deer tractor, Visited my mom in KS, Went camping and to the Cheyanne Mtn Zoo, and a bunch of other shit this last month.. Ive got 3 cameras sitting here needing installed and reviewed, still unopened in the box... including the big honking monster PTZ.

Weather has been shit; any time I get a day free to play Cameraman its either raining or snowing or both (Birthday weekend campout was largely a rain out).. this weekend is looking to be nice weather finally so I'm hopefull I can get the big PTZ installed and these other cameras up on a test-rig this weekend.

Oah and to top everything off; my boss told me at beginning of April that I've got until August then he expects our entire team to be handed layoff notices.. so after 10 years of hard work for the biggest name in networking; Ive got to start planning and pursuing a new carrier path.. how humbling life can be at times.. at least the new baby will be here before I get booted out the door..

I warned yeh all back in March that you'd not see nor hear much from me in April; and well now its finally May so perhaps things will start settling back down.

Last edited:

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Caveman,

Sometimes Andy does seem to have the mounts / junction boxes. Do contact him directly and check.

A PoE camera has about 16-18" of cable to the end of the connector

Options:
a) Mount directly on wall - drill 3/4" hole - connect cat5e/cat6 within the wall or attic ( or you can use plumbers tape and leave the connection section under the roof overhang if you have one )
or
b) Use a junction box or wall mount ( over hanging box ) to mount the camera ( for HDWxxR-Z series - PFA137, PFB203W )
For Junction box you can mount it directly on the wall - making a smaller hole for the cat5e/cat6 cable in the wall OR use a conduit
Connect the cables within the junction box.

So, in many cases the junction box is nice if you do not have a good way to easily connect the cables without leaving them exposed to the elements OR if you need to drill smaller holes through your walls. ( example if you have a brick or concrete building. )

Note the junction boxes / wall mount do give you a slight stand off from the wall, which maybe useful.
( example - I have a location which I would like to place the box and need some standoff to clear the gutter drain pipe )

Also, IF you purchase junction boxes / wall mounts and find that you have surplus after installing there is a classified section here - and these products work with a number of dahua cameras which have the same form factor.

[ note: If Andy is out of stock: I've had good luck when I purchased from Jimbu on Aliexpress - if you purchase enough from them they will DHL the shipment, and in my case they were fast. ]
Thanks for a very informative post:) I only have to drill through a normal wooden board, so it Should be fine. But then again the wall mount might make it look nicer. Ill check it out:)

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still alive; just busy as fuck.. ~76 days and counting til lil Leonardo is born (7-17-17), shits ramped into high gear.. lots of loose ends to tie up.

Bought a new vehicle, got 2 derelict ones out of here, cleaned up the garage, cleaned up the yard, painting kids rooms, refurbished an old John Deer tractor, Visited my mom in KS, Went camping and to the Cheyanne Mtn Zoo, and a bunch of other shit this last month.. Ive got 3 cameras sitting here needing installed and reviewed, still unopened in the box... including the big honking monster PTZ.

Weather has been shit; any time I get a day free to play Cameraman its either raining or snowing or both (Birthday weekend campout was largely a rain out).. this weekend is looking to be nice weather finally so I'm hopefull I can get the big PTZ installed and these other cameras up on a test-rig this weekend.

Oah and to top everything off; my boss told me at beginning of April that I've got until August then he expects our entire team to be handed layoff notices.. so after 10 years of hard work for the biggest name in networking; Ive got to start planning and pursuing a new carrier path.. how humbling life can be at times.. at least the new baby will be here before I get booted out the door..

I warned yeh all back in March that you'd not see nor hear much from me in April; and well now its finally May so perhaps things will start settling back down.
Dude,
It's almost sounds like me but our daughter came early and we need to upgrade our 2 door car to a 4 door with higher ground clearance.

Wish you the best with the new expecting baby and job outlook.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The work news

The work news truly sucks Ryan. Sorry bro.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Oah and to top everything off; my boss told me at beginning of April that I've got until August then he expects our entire team to be handed layoff notices.. so after 10 years of hard work for the biggest name in networking; Ive got to start planning and pursuing a new carrier path.. how humbling life can be at times.. at least the new baby will be here before I get booted out the door.
A man with your skill set will have no issues finding work. I realize the change is scary, and not at the most opportune time, but I'm an optimist. When one door closes, another opens and you may increase/advance/better your situation.

Don't lose your sense of humor..... ;)

SD

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, it is what it is.. I'm not worried about it, wife wants to quit and stay home w/this one so its a chance to shake things up and mebe make that a possibility..

If anything my Wife might signup w/a sponsor account and start running an online store outta the garage and yeh all can pay for my vacations to Hawaii :p

here's the new family hauler, quite the upgrade from the diesel golf:
NVR_Front Door_main_20170502121703.jpg
2014 Q7 Prestige TDI w/Air Suspension, Ive got a set of 17" Rims coming to replace these 20"s.. putting big all terrain tires on it so I can get to the places I like to go all year long.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool car Ryan; you could also say to your wife; how about i am going to raise our little one? (Gives you all the time you need in the first months to all remaining work at home) :)

Mufasa

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question..

I have a starlight turret ( out of a batch of 5 ), which had been installed and working fine for a week, but suddenly died the night before.

The log simply says the ip camera is disconnected, and the last of the recording shows nothing unusual. does not seem like anything mechanical.

The camera currently does not boot up. It doen't matter if I try power it with PoE switch or 12V DC, the network light on the switch does not blink at all. Also tried prefab short patch cable without success.

What could be a way of either reset / troubleshoot this? Was there serial port or some other interface available? I am hoping it is not a major hardware issue.. but as the camera does not respond at all, it does not look too good T_T
Have anyone done the warranty repair / replace for the starlight and could share how long / cost does it take?

PMed Andy, still waiting for his response..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Considering she has to carry it 9 months I can understand why she feels ripped off only getting 2 weeks of paid maternity; I've been working from home and in cubes for for too long, time to get back out in the field while I still have a bit of youth in me ;)

If I can make just a lil bit more than I do now we could swing it fairly easily; then she can moonlight doing something on side to bring in fun money.. right now it would be kinda thin margins for her to put her writing career on hold.. and getting a salary for writing is a pretty sweet deal she has going on.

@Mufasa, sounds like you've ran through all the basics; wait to see what andy's response is.. you didnt have any rain or anything on the day it died by any chance?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Considering she has to carry it 9 months I can understand why she feels ripped off only getting 2 weeks of paid maternity; I've been working from home and in cubes for for too long, time to get back out in the field while I still have a bit of youth in me ;)

If I can make just a lil bit more than I do now we could swing it fairly easily; then she can moonlight doing something on side to bring in fun money.. right now it would be kinda thin margins for her to put her writing career on hold.. and getting a salary for writing is a pretty sweet deal she has going on.

@Mufasa, sounds like you've ran through all the basics; wait to see what andy's response is.. you didnt have any rain or anything on the day it died by any chance?
Nayr feel free to drop me a note ( PM ) w/regards to potential job leads - would be happy to help you connect with various people I know.

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
plenty of recruiters here also I am in Denver more than happy to help

hd88

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for a very informative post:) I only have to drill through a normal wooden board, so it Should be fine. But then again the wall mount might make it look nicer. Ill check it out:)
I installed 6 cameras with the wall mount (PFB203W) and glad I did. I think it looks nicer and the installation & positioning of the desired FOV were easier. Got everything from Andy and he was great to work with.

Attachments

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed 6 cameras with the wall mount (PFB203W) and glad I did. I think it looks nicer and the installation & positioning of the desired FOV were easier. Got everything from Andy and he was great to work with.
They looks perfect damn and enough room for hidden cables inside ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes that mount has plenty of room for the wiring to tuck inside; still have to drill a 1/4in hole to pass an unterminated ethernet cable through but it sure beats a ~3/4in hole needed to fit the entire connector.