Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
They are going~ China has 3 days public holiday till Tuesday, so shipment a little delay. Today only processed 41 lots. Will process the left 200pcs on Tuesday.
Bad news is The new stock can't be ready till 20th. This sucked~ Will check how is going on Tuesday. But currently orders I think can all be done

Attachments

Cupofschmoe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are going~ China has 3 days public holiday till Tuesday, so shipment a little delay. Today only processed 41 lots. Will process the left 200pcs on Tuesday.
Bad news is The new stock can't be ready till 20th. This sucked~ Will check how is going on Tuesday. But currently orders I think can all be done
I hope one of those boxes is mine.... lol

program2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I (and a few others here) have been unable to get my 5321s to work properly with h.265 in BI. Ken from BI did try to take a look at it which was great but no resolution. I was really looking forward to using the better compression but so far I have not found a solution. I do not have any other Dahua camera models yet so not sure if the issue is isolated to this one or not.
The android app on my phone and tablet works until it doesn't, meaning it often just shuts down either immediately after opening or randomly when viewing live or recorded. No idea why.
Other than that BI has been great. I have not scratched the surface of all the funcionality it has available.
Excuse what's likely to be a dumb question - I have 5 cameras hopefully coming soon. I had planned to run Blue Iris with it. Is that not a good idea? What should I use instead?

RMP888

n3wb
Reaction score
thats been covered multiple times already; in this very thread..

4MP has zero benefit; my 4MP Dahua cameras will be in the trash bin in a few weeks and replaced with 2MP Starlights.
Hi Nayr,

this is a long thread, and re-reading it again, I appreciate that 4MP might not have any benefit, but what are your thoughts on jumping 8MP instead, eg the DH-IPC-HDW5830R-Z?

Thanks

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Nayr,

this is a long thread, and re-reading it again, I appreciate that 4MP might not have any benefit, but what are your thoughts on jumping 8MP instead, eg the DH-IPC-HDW5830R-Z?

Thanks
Haven't heard from Ryan in a bit. Hope all is well with him and his family. Hopefully he's just on a well deserved vacation.

Awaiting his review on the SD6AE240V-HNI, as I have one on the way. I couldn't wait any longer. I know it will be awesome with an F1.2 lens, 40x zoom and IR out to 200 meters.....

SD

Spudz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Haven't heard from Ryan in a bit. Hope all is well with him and his family. Hopefully he's just on a well deserved vacation.

Awaiting his review on the SD6AE240V-HNI, as I have one on the way. I couldn't wait any longer. I know it will be awesome with an F1.2 lens, 40x zoom and IR out to 200 meters.....

SD
That SD6AE240V-HNI sounds amazing! It says HI-POE. That is different again from POE+? Wondering what powering options are for that cam?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That SD6AE240V-HNI sounds amazing! It says HI-POE. That is different again from POE+? Wondering what powering options are for that cam?
Looks like there is
PoE - 15w - 12.95w available
PoE+ - 30w - 25.5w available
and
High PoE - 60w ! "Hi-PoE is still not ratified by IEEE " ( * - article did not have a date on it.. )

refs:
Online Exclusive: Four Important Things You Need to Know about Hi-PoE -- Security Today
Impulse CCTV | Industrial grade CCTV IP Video Surveillance Systems

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
waiting to order 6 he said he was waiting on stock and will have an answer by tomorrow

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like there is
PoE - 15w - 12.95w available
PoE+ - 30w - 25.5w available
and
High PoE - 60w ! "Hi-PoE is still not ratified by IEEE " ( * - article did not have a date on it.. )

refs:
Online Exclusive: Four Important Things You Need to Know about Hi-PoE -- Security Today
Impulse CCTV | Industrial grade CCTV IP Video Surveillance Systems
Have a few of these, one in service. We shall see if it does it, otherwise I'll have to inject. Ryan, when he comes back, will let us all know how how he powers his. He has the 24 port version of the midspan.

Microsemi PD9012G.jpg IMG_5324.JPG

SD

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No need to worry they work fine with h.264 and Blue Iris. Blue Iris does not support h.265.
"High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2, is a video compression standard, one of several potential successors to the widely used AVC (H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10). In comparison to AVC, HEVC offers about double the data compression ratio at the same level of video quality, or substantially improved video quality at the same bit rate. It supports resolutions up to 8192×4320, including 8K UHD."

It seems that H265 is a lot better data compression. Is BI working on incorporating it?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2, is a video compression standard, one of several potential successors to the widely used AVC (H.264 or MPEG-4 Part 10). In comparison to AVC, HEVC offers about double the data compression ratio at the same level of video quality, or substantially improved video quality at the same bit rate. It supports resolutions up to 8192×4320, including 8K UHD."

It seems that H265 is a lot better data compression. Is BI working on incorporating it?
Note that some cameras while supporting H265 have potential configuration issues according to a few ads with warnings I have seen on Aliexpress.

Example of text I have seen ( on some Dahua models ):
"Note:
if you choose H2.64 model ,you can choose smart codec :eek:n or off !
if you choose H2.65 model ,you must choose smart codec :eek:ff !
when the camera h2.65 model ,it can't support smart codec !
when you choose h2.65 model and choose smart code:eek:n ,
The camera will restart by every 10 seconds ! The cameras will be damaged !"

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hardware acceleration may be a sticking point.

eatmorfood

n3wb
Reaction score
I switched out two of my hik camers (3mp & 4mp turret) with two of these a few days ago.
Looking at the results, it has been a good move.
However, I've only had one issue with it.

When I had h264+ running, it would not capture the pre-trigger video - set at 3 seconds
So if a car passed by, the snapshots would fire me emails of the car, but the video would not pick up the car.
On top of that, it would randomly produce 00sec files - seemed to correlate with less motion (fast passing car with no motion after that)
so if a car passed by slowly, i would get the 10 seconds of trigger video - i dont recall if i also go the 3 sec pre-trigger (i dont think so).
if a car passed fast, i would get the 00sec video which could not be viewed.
As soon as i switched back to h264, this issue went away - i did not have this trouble with the 4mp hik running h264+.
i am running the latest version of BI and the firmware on the camera.
Its working now so not particulary concerned.

Here is the 4mp hik vs the starlight both at about 4mm

Attachments

Last edited:

Caveman

n3wb
Reaction score
Can this be mounted flat against a horizontal wall, or do you need to buy the additional wall mount? Doesnt seem like Andy is stocking the mount.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will have to drill a hole in the wall large enough for the camera plug to fit thru and then have access to it on the other side to make the connection.