Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got the camera (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), it's really nice. I'm able to run full color at night time, get enough light from a street light and my garage/porch light. It shipped with PAL firmware. I want to change firmware to NTSC so that I can get 30FPS.

I downloaded the firmware from IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

When I extract the file, login to the camera web interface, go System => Upgrade, click browse, choose the .bin file that I extracted from the firmware zip then click upload, it tells me "Bad file format! Some functions have been closed,reboot device now?"

The camera currently is on firmware 2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20, which is newer than the firmware I downloaded.

Any ideas?
The firmware on your camera is newer than the one on the website ([NTSC]DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306). I believe I've read on here you can't flash older firmware over newer firmware. I could be mistaken though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge steps in.

Also, You can't flash EN firmware on a CN camera (if this pertains to you).

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The firmware on your camera is newer than the one on the website ([NTSC]DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_EngSpn_N_Stream3_V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306). I believe I've read on here you can't flash older firmware over newer firmware. I could be mistaken though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge steps in.

Also, You can't flash EN firmware on a CN camera (if this pertains to you).
You are right. From 14.R there's no way back, because the firmware is looking now for signed firmware while up-/downgrading.
The actual firmware is available from here: ftp://ftp.asm.cz/Dahua/kamerove_systemy/_Firmware/04IPC/05-Eco-savvy%203.0/DH/DH_IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea_Eng_P_Stream3_V2.460.0000.14.R.20170720/

If you really need 30fps, for whatever, change the codec to H.265 and turn off Smart Codec. Even with the PAL firmware you'll have up to 50fps to choose…

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the camera (IPC-HDW5231R-Z), it's really nice. I'm able to run full color at night time, get enough light from a street light and my garage/porch light. It shipped with PAL firmware. I want to change firmware to NTSC so that I can get 30FPS.

I downloaded the firmware from IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology

When I extract the file, login to the camera web interface, go System => Upgrade, click browse, choose the .bin file that I extracted from the firmware zip then click upload, it tells me "Bad file format! Some functions have been closed,reboot device now?"

The camera currently is on firmware 2.460.0000.14.R, Build Date: 2017-07-20, which is newer than the firmware I downloaded.

Any ideas?
Hi, do you run it on an nvr? If so what type an model please. Thx

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, anybody tried to use the IPC-HDW5231R-Z with a synology NAS? I just got the camera and i have trouble setting it up, it works ok with the onvif, cant benefit of all the features (h265, triple channel....), but can't make it work at all as a dahua. Thank you.
I am running these cameras on the Synology NAS. There was a device pack update specifically for these cameras, recently. I do agree with the other posts that the best setup would be with the dahua nvr. In my case, i already have the nas, and would have it running regardless of the cams.

I am using the profile specifically for the cameras, and everything is working - except for motion detection which is not working properly.

I am thinking it will be fixed with firmware upgrades. My camera is on V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306. The synology profile is asking if my firmware is <10. Which I am replying yes. Since they are asking for a specific firmware I was hoping that 10 fixes it. I see above that 14 is available, but I don't download stuff from unknown sources. @EMPIRETECHANDY whats the current firmware?

DarkHelmet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am running these cameras on the Synology NAS. There was a device pack update specifically for these cameras, recently. I do agree with the other posts that the best setup would be with the dahua nvr. In my case, i already have the nas, and would have it running regardless of the cams.

I am using the profile specifically for the cameras, and everything is working - except for motion detection which is not working properly.

I am thinking it will be fixed with firmware upgrades. My camera is on V2.460.0000.7.R.20170306. The synology profile is asking if my firmware is <10. Which I am replying yes. Since they are asking for a specific firmware I was hoping that 10 fixes it. I see above that 14 is available, but I don't download stuff from unknown sources. @EMPIRETECHANDY whats the current firmware?
your mention didnt work. @EMPIRETECANDY theres no "H" ;)

samys

n3wb
Reaction score

I just got the camera, and the firmware it came with is v2.460.0000.14.R build 20.07.2017, this one is higher than what there is on the official website. Where could i get the device pack please? I select at the firmware section in the SS higher than 10 and shows disconnected, even if the test is ok.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you get the drop down that asks firmware version then you definitely have the latest device pack. To check go into surveillance station / add ons / device pack, and make sure auto update is selected.

Once I get a copy of later firmware I will update mine and see.

samys

n3wb
Reaction score
If you get the drop down that asks firmware version then you definitely have the latest device pack. To check go into surveillance station / add ons / device pack, and make sure auto update is selected.

Once I get a copy of later firmware I will update mine and see.
Latest device pack. Here is what i get (don't mind the "B" in the selected camera, i sorted that, chose the right camera). Any Ideas ? RTSP tried Auto TCP UDP no difference.

Attachments

tonalt

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a problem that during night insects are flying in front of the camera and motion detection starts to record video. Insects looks like white noctuidaes and as them are against black background, the contrast is big. Is there anything I can do? They are right at area I want to record. I'm using camera's own web server, NVR not in use.

ewc1111

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@samys
Hello, with this firmware (r14) runs the camera currently only as Generic Dahua (Onfiv). Synology does not have an update for the new firmware yet. A ticket has already been opened by a German forum User.

Latest device pack. Here is what i get (don't mind the "B" in the selected camera, i sorted that, chose the right camera). Any Ideas ? RTSP tried Auto TCP UDP no difference.

GuiBou

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a problem that during night insects are flying in front of the camera and motion detection starts to record video. Insects looks like white noctuidaes and as them are against black background, the contrast is big. Is there anything I can do? They are right at area I want to record. I'm using camera's own web server, NVR not in use.
You are not alone!!!

I read that the best thing to do is using light (IR or not) everywhere except the one that comes from the camera.

Or like me, wait for winter to come....hehehe

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn off the cams IR, then add something like this. Mount at least 5-6ft away from the cam.
https://www.amazon.com/Univivi-Infrared-Illuminator-Waterproof-Security/dp/B01G6K407Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504542768&sr=8-3&keywords=ir+illuminator+for+security+camera

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Adjust the object size to something larger than the bugs. Won't help 100% because sometimes they fly right in front of camera and take up half the view, but it cuts down a lot of the bug alerts.

tonalt

n3wb
Reaction score
Adjust the object size to something larger than the bugs. Won't help 100% because sometimes they fly right in front of camera and take up half the view, but it cuts down a lot of the bug alerts.
Cannot find that setting. Where it is?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Below the live feed box... Click the 'min size' circle then click draw target and adjust the box.

Screenshot_20170905-063001.png

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
David, not to go off-topic, but install IE-Tab for Chrome to get rid of that plug-in error, lol :)

Below the live feed box... Click the 'min size' circle then click draw target and adjust the box.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
David, not to go off-topic, but install IE-Tab for Chrome to get rid of that plug-in error, lol :)
I wonder how secure that is? When I need to make adjustments to my cameras and also have the live view, I just use IE.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cannot find that setting. Where it is?
IIRC, that setting requires that you use IVS (and setup Intrusion zone or a Tripwire) instead of Motion Detection. Most folks seem to find that IVS triggers fewer false positives than Motion Detection. If you're recording to a 3rd-party device, IVS will probably not trigger recordings there, though.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm at work and just pulled that up on my phone to grab a screen shot for this thread. As far as I know the live view on that screen won't work on any Android phone.

But at home I use Linux and have never been able to see that feed. I used to fire up the windows VM on my NAS to configure my IVS events, but with NVR firmware updates and my upgrade to SmartPSS version 2 I can now configure them either on the NVR or software.