Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

ABs

n3wb
Reaction score
So
Hi All,

This is my first post. Thanks nayr for the info, you educated an IT guy in the world of IP cameras.

Just baught 3 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from [U][COLOR=#0066cc]@EMPIRETECANDY[/COLOR][/U] and have a quick question.

Is it possible to set the recording of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to record to SD card. Then schedule a backup from SD to a NAS box?

I have a QNAP nas and dont want to burden it with motion recording ever so often.

Thanks,
ABs
Sorry bump on this one

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How do we adjust shutter speed through that settings page? Is there an alternate portal for this?
I'm pretty sure these options are consistent throughout all cameras in Dahua's current lineup.
I think you meant to say shutter speed.

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As far as shutter speed goes, I've been playing around with Manual -> Custom Range and giving it the range that I feel is acceptable based on camera location, available light, etc. I don't have the trust in "Shutter Priority" to know when it will still lower that speed.

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks, I see these cameras come with auto as the default option. What's the typical (auto) shutter speed they're set at? Seems like changing shutter to 1/120 makes the picture too bright. :)
This is an example of my fear. With that setting you've told it to try for 1/120, which could be too bright during the day and too dark at night.
Using the Manual -> Custom Range, I'll set it from 0 (basically never cap the shutter speed) to 8 (never go below 1/125) or in some areas with worse light I have 0 to 13.33 (never go below 1/75).

I may not have the ideal settings dialed in yet, but that is my current settings.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Gymratz, its going to take some playing around with to get it right. :)
This is an example of my fear. With that setting you've told it to try for 1/120, which could be too bright during the day and too dark at night.
Using the Manual -> Custom Range, I'll set it from 0 (basically never cap the shutter speed) to 8 (never go below 1/125) or in some areas with worse light I have 0 to 13.33 (never go below 1/75).

I may not have the ideal settings dialed in yet, but that is my current settings.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I see these cameras come with auto as the default option. What's the typical (auto) shutter speed they're set at? Seems like changing shutter to 1/120 makes the picture too bright. :)
The 120 shutter speed is just about right for face ID's and no ghosting in the situation this camera is in with two PIR's (Mr Beam) in night mode. In day mode it is set to 1000 and again no ghosting and clear face ID's and clear licence plates of cars. YMMV..
It's all about trial and error and having a willing partner to keep running in and out so you can adjust ;) How good these cameras are at night you just can't help but have extra light :cool:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you meant to say shutter speed.
No I mean to say frame rate as on most of the cameras I've come across (non CCTV) the shutter speed is fixed, and thus proportionate to the frame rate.

However, if you can adjust the shutter the speed then yes faster the shutter speed, the more text in each still is readable as there's less travel by the object during the exposure. THAT said, frame rate is important also.

One of the products of setting too fast a shutter speed, is the video is no longer smooth and moving objects such as cars, tend to "jump" down the road in hops rather than travel. This is the result of the objects travelling a noticeable difference between captured frames (in the period when the shutter is closed), hence the hop from the position in one frame to the next. The answer to this can be 2 fold: 1 set a slower shutter speed (but suffer increased blur) or 2. increase the frame rate because more frames = less travel between frames. That said, the latter can become problematic if you render footage back down to a lower frame rate because then frames have to either be blended (interlaced which destroys the quality of stills as the product of 2 frames) or discarded (which then re-introduces the jerky movement). However, keep the frame rate the same, and the picture will be smoother.

ABs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post. Thanks nayr for the info, you educated an IT guy in the world of IP cameras.

Just baught 3 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from [U][COLOR=#0066cc]@EMPIRETECANDY[/COLOR][/U] and have a quick question.

Is it possible to set the recording of the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE to record to SD card. Then schedule a backup from SD to a NAS box?

I have a QNAP nas and dont want to burden it with motion recording ever so often.

Thanks,
ABs
So no one has an answer for this? Wow I seemed to have stumped the pros on my first post.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That post just made me realize why @fenderman is as blunt as he is.
Still no explanation as to why you think it is wrong? Gymratz, let me elaborate slightly - I have not a lot of experience with CCTV. However, whilst not a pro, I have plenty of experience with video, plus I was using a dash camera several years before dash cameras were even invented.

Do a little research on fast moving objects and shutter speed, there are plenty of clips out there. There's no need to stick to the 180 degree rule with electronic shutters although there can be consequences as well as gains depending on how far you depart.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Still no explanation as to why you think it is wrong? Gymratz, let me elaborate slightly - I have not a lot of experience with CCTV. However, whilst not a pro, I have plenty of experience with video, plus I was using a dash camera several years before dash cameras were even invented.

Do a little research on fast moving objects and shutter speed, there are plenty of clips out there. There's no need to stick to the 180 degree rule with electronic shutters although there can be consequences as well as gains depending on how far you depart.
for the love of god, please buy an ip camera before commenting with your guesses...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
for the love of god, please buy an ip camera before commenting with your guesses...
I'm out of this thread after this post, so don't worry but I will mention as well I've shot some footage clips for major tv channels. So I know a little bit about video, shutter speed and motion effects:

Leading training from the world's leading IP CCTV Training companies, I'll leave everyone to browse through that but they agree with everything I said, complete with video examples:

Training: Frame Rates for IP Cameras

Also, from one of the world's largest International CCTV vendors:

CCTV Camera Settings: Here's How to get the Best Picture Possible

I was using GoPros in car following a previous accident where the driver denied even hitting me a good 2 years before the 1st dashcam hit the market.

Anyway as I said I'm out of help posts. Apologies if my attempts to be helpful offended anyone.

ABs

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm out of this thread after this post, so don't worry but I will mention as well I've shot some footage clips for major tv channels. So I know a little bit about video, shutter speed and motion effects:

Leading training from the world's leading IP CCTV Training companies, I'll leave everyone to browse through that but they agree with everything I said, complete with video examples:

Training: Frame Rates for IP Cameras

Also, from one of the world's largest International CCTV vendors:

CCTV Camera Settings: Here's How to get the Best Picture Possible

I was using GoPros in car following a previous accident where the driver denied even hitting me a good 2 years before the 1st dashcam hit the market.

Anyway as I said I'm out of help posts. Apologies if my attempts to be helpful offended anyone.
Don’t worry dude, people who find your response informative will appreciate your input. Stay true.