Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Last night my one of my 5231 went offline. It the one which under our porch watching our front door out of any weather element or sun exposure so I am thinking it not going to be good at all. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it last night other than rebooting the PoE switch to see if it bring it back online. However I did not see any IR turn on in the dark or it normal red glow which implies no power or dead camera.

I will be troubleshooting it tonight when I get home, wish me luck that it something simple and can be fixed quickly.

Bill

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Last night my one of my 5231 went offline. It the one which under our porch watching our front door out of any weather element or sun exposure so I am thinking it not going to be good at all. I didn't have time to troubleshoot it last night other than rebooting the PoE switch to see if it bring it back online. However I did not see any IR turn on in the dark or it normal red glow which implies no power or dead camera.

I will be troubleshooting it tonight when I get home, wish me luck that it something simple and can be fixed quickly.

Bill
Just got home - first thing I did was check the PoE switch status on tnat camera, it showing PoE powered to it and packet light is on but it not flicking which mean no data or little data traffic. Sigh ... look like I will need to go take it down and bench test it.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having problems, Bill. I just installed my first Dahua, 5231R-Z, and I'm really impressed. Color rendition and focus are superb with daylight conditions and, so far, night time images are just as sharp and crisp. Zoom is also very crisp and re-focus is very fast. This is the first "real" camera I've had and really like being able to set every little detail of its configuration. After the New Year, and Holiday bills are paid, I plan on adding a couple of more. Service from Andy was very fast and very smooth which made it even better.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you have the network connections properly sealed?
Yes

I used the weather connector and sealed it in then it was stuffed inside the soffit and sealed around the cable. There is no wetness in that area at all. The copper in the connector is shiny and shows no moisture in it.

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you make use of the "auto-reboot" option? It's located at the "system"-> "auto maintain" part.
If you didn't maybe it's an option to activate it...

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you make use of the "auto-reboot" option? It's located at the "system"-> "auto maintain" part.
If you didn't maybe it's an option to active it...
I don't use auto reboot on anything. I want to know if my products are locking up or not. A poorly design products would never
Just a thought, is your POE switch on a good Backups? Possibly a quick power blip caused it to lockup.

No, I don't use UPS backup. Last night my camera reset all of it setting back to default on it own. Only thing that did not get reset is the IVS drawing rules. I had to go restore all the setting back to the way I wanted it.

All this problem happens after I enabled ANR in the Storage setup few days ago which I just disabled now.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hey guys...one of my 5231 cams...whenever it is triggered in BI, stutters/stalls before showing motion....other cams work perfect...but this one...behaving like this..have it on POE+ switch...no BI errors or warnings..
any ideas?..maybe need newer firmware? This is what I have now: 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06
whats the latest firmware you guys have safely installed?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hey guys...one of my 5231 cams...whenever it is triggered in BI, stutters/stalls before showing motion....other cams work perfect...but this one...behaving like this..have it on POE+ switch...no BI errors or warnings..
any ideas?..maybe need newer firmware? This is what I have now: 2.460.0000.7.R, Build Date: 2017-03-06
whats the latest firmware you guys have safely installed?
more likely something going on with BI than the camera...post your camera video settings as well as your bi video configuration settings...

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok...done...what should the "max rate" in BI be relative to your camera FPS?...I read somewhere 2fps greater than your cam fps? is that right?