Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
and that was still a pretty ideal environment for such things, but exactly.. it can only track one thing at a time so its like having a guard dog thats too busy looking out the window at the squirrels to notice that someone is taking the sofa out the front door.
Haha, I'd still love to have a ptz or two, to play with in the neighborhood lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopping around and hoping the camera will catch what you need most is silly

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Identify the choke points, cover them properly for ID pictures (who), then add overview cams for situational awareness (what). Otherwise with a PTZ you'll be blind to the what while its little robot brain is locked on and zoomed into something that may or may not be important. That's fine in addition to proper and complete coverage with fixed cams but amateurish to rely on luck for the ID and miss the entire scene whenever there's even a bit of unimportant movement in the frame.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I Like the idea to be able to do such things for back garden where normally no one is, and that follow one single intruder next to overview camera.

In my example i have no choke point in the back garden, and the fence lenght on 3 sides is like 40 meters of 2 meter high fence. It would only be luck to have one or 2 cameras installed and hope someone steps in front of it.
So main idea is to split detection in parts (left, middle and right) and steer PTZ to it and if it than autotracks an object inside the garden an intruder will have to go to an door where a fixed camera is for more face detail.

So that 180 degree dahua seems a candidate,,lets hope nayr reviews it sometime.
Every fixed camera means a conduit, ethernet cable and mount otherwise, so like 100€ per position, going from 3 x the turret from this thread to one 180 degrees unit save 2x (160 + 100) = 320€ and than 160€ from the 3d camera makes 480€. That is close to the mentioned price of that 180 degree camera.

Saw it here for $685 wholesale DAHUA IPC-PFW8601-A180 - DAHUA IPC-PFW8601-A180 3x2MP Multi-Lens Panoramic Network IR Bullet Camera IPC-PFW8601-A180 review

And even for $545 Spedizione Gratuita DAHUA IP TELECAMERA a CIRCUITO CHIUSO 3*2 MP Multi Lente Panoramica Telecamera Bullet IR Network IP67 POE senza Logo IPC PFW8601 A180 in grazie per la vostra visita del nostro deposito. si prega di leggere il seguito note con attenzione prima di confermareda Telecamere di sorveglianza su AliExpress.com | Gruppo Alibaba

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I Like the idea to be able to do such things for back garden where normally no one is, and that follow one single intruder next to overview camera.

In my example i have no choke point in the back garden, and the fence lenght on 3 sides is like 40 meters of 2 meter high fence. It would only be luck to have one or 2 cameras installed and hope someone steps in front of it.
So main idea is to split detection in parts (left, middle and right) and steer PTZ to it and if it than autotracks an object inside the garden an intruder will have to go to an door where a fixed camera is for more face detail.

So that 180 degree dahua seems a candidate,,lets hope nayr reviews it sometime.
Every fixed camera means a conduit, ethernet cable and mount otherwise, so like 100€ per position, going from 3 x the turret from this thread to one 180 degrees unit save 2x (160 + 100) = 320€ and than 160€ from the 3d camera makes 480€. That is close to the mentioned price of that 180 degree camera.

Saw it here for $685 wholesale DAHUA IPC-PFW8601-A180 - DAHUA IPC-PFW8601-A180 3x2MP Multi-Lens Panoramic Network IR Bullet Camera IPC-PFW8601-A180 review

In that case one 2.8mm could probably cover an overview and then a few more zoomed in cameras along the back of the house in front of doors and windows.

Spacedemon

n3wb
Reaction score
Two questions

1. The vendor shows only PAL version available, any issues with using that in the states or is it changeable in the software?
  2. The price now shows $170.99 so no need to PM correct?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Two questions

1. The vendor shows only PAL version available, any issues with using that in the states or is it changeable in the software?
  2. The price now shows $170.99 so no need to PM correct?
Pal is an analog thing and just gives you up to 50fps, no issues with digital stuff

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jmtyra

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great! :) Working on payment method right now, might have to use PayPal as I'm having the same issues as others have experienced. Will message you soon.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Features
  • 1/2.8” 2MP progressive scan Sony Starvis Exmor-R (IMX290) CMOS
  • H.265 & H.264 triple-stream encoding
  • 50/60fps @ 1080p(1920×1080)
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.006 Lux/F1.4 (Color); 0 Lux/F1.4 (IR on)
  • Smart Detection supported (Facial/Tripwire/Intrusion/Audio)
  • WDR(120dB), Day/Night(ICR), 3DNR, AWB, AGC, BLC
  • Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS
  • 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens (4.4x Zoom), 97°~34° HFOV
  • EXIR LEDs Distance: 50m
  • IP67, PoE (802.3af) <8.5W
  • Micro SD card memory (128GB Max)
  • Onboard Microphone
I see this camera has a Smart Detection supported (Facial/Tripwire/Intrusion/Audio) , but does that imply it will also provide notifications as well? email or other?

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just ordered one on Aliexpress. Hopefully all goes smoothly.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see this camera has a Smart Detection supported (Facial/Tripwire/Intrusion/Audio) , but does that imply it will also provide notifications as well? email or other?
You can get email notifications; push notifications require a Dahua NVR.. I do not believe BlueIris can pickup on these events.

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great camera and review.

Does anyone know if the zoom and focus will be adjustable in Synology's Surveillance Station if setup via Onvif protocol?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not a PTZ; I doubt zoom/focus are controllable via onvif.. SmartPSS wont even zoom/focus it w/the ptz controls.

testing a potential install location today, just a few feet off the ground.. was worried about the sun but its no problem apparently:
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-26-13-45-17.jpg

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wauw, Great picture. I really like this camera!
Thinking about buying one too. :)

I have a IPC-HDW4421C-A to monitor the front of my home, but this one is perfect no matter the weather condition.

I also don't think the zoom function can be controlled via surveillance station. I think I have to find it out myself. :p