Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
************UPDATES
I get another 100pcs stock today, so you guys can buy directly. For those order still pending ones, we can ship all out on Wednesday/Thursday.
EMPIRE Shop
Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

BEC shop

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

We can't ship any new order if this lot stock use up, because we have a 20days new year holiday from Jan.15th-Feb.5th.
If can't buy online, so have to use paypal, most guys use this way before.

Thanks for your support.
Andy

Do you guys have any ETA on the bullets at all? While the turret form factor is cool, it doesn't have any hookups for motion sensors.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr,
Could you try to take a picture without ir and nearly without background light? I think with settings on low distortions and slow shutter speed the night view for weather forecast will be brillant.

This is 1/3s Shutter Speed (slowest allowed), no IR and very little ambient lighting..

If your setting up a web/weather cam and want to see mountains/clouds at night then this is how you'd want to run it, anything that moves will look like its from tron but distant clouds wont be moving too fast to cause any issues.

*edit*
here is one taken from the install location, most of the lighting is a poor street lamp out front same settings and you can see stars
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-28-00-27-57.jpg

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
@nayr I don't see a way to PM you so I'll ask her, I've got the motion sensor you suggested and I'm trying to test it on a hikvision varifocal bullet. It's got IN, OUT, G, G, and the PIR has +, -, NC, NC,T, T. I also got the POE splitter you suggested, I assume I will just cut the connector off the end of the power cord from the splitter and connect the hot wire to + and the ground to - on the sensor to power it, do I connect NC to the IN on the camera? Is that all I need?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So you don't get any false alarms at all? Interesting, might have to play with it again, can you take a screenshot of your settings? If it actually works I could just buy the turrets and not mess with PIR at all.
fenderman claims false alarm rates as good as a physical sensor out of his BlueIris setups; but he's a pro and knows quite well what the cameras and software is capable of.. Takes alot of tuning and testing but honestly physical sensors typically do also, mebe not as much but if you just slap a sensor up that can see too much it'll false all the time also, thats why lights w/built in motion sensors that cant be aimed/tuned are always going off when nothing is around.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@nayr I don't see a way to PM you so I'll ask her, I've got the motion sensor you suggested and I'm trying to test it on a hikvision varifocal bullet. It's got IN, OUT, G, G, and the PIR has +, -, NC, NC,T, T. I also got the POE splitter you suggested, I assume I will just cut the connector off the end of the power cord from the splitter and connect the hot wire to + and the ground to - on the sensor to power it, do I connect NC to the IN on the camera? Is that all I need?
connect IN and one of the G and it should trigger the alarm input high on the camera, leave em floating and its open.. so connect NC<->IN and G<->T (which i think is the common)

+/- will be the 12v power obviously, the PoE Spitter dont passthrough PoE so now you'll have to use that 12v to power both the camera and the motion sensor, usually get a barrel splitter and chop/strip one of the barrels off.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
fenderman claims false alarm rates as good as a physical sensor out of his BlueIris setups; but he's a pro and knows quite well what the cameras and software is capable of.. Takes alot of tuning and testing but honestly physical sensors typically do also, mebe not as much but if you just slap a sensor up that can see too much it'll false all the time also, thats why lights w/built in motion sensors that cant be aimed/tuned are always going off when nothing is around.
Very true, I'm hoping the physical sensors do a better job, as long as I have it pointed in such a way that its not picking up people walking by or cars and stuff. I guess I will just have to see how it goes and decide if I want a bunch of PIR's or if I just want to try and do it with the software...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
connect IN and one of the G and it should trigger the alarm input high on the camera, leave em floating and its open.. so connect NC<->IN and G<->T (which i think is the common)

+/- will be the 12v power obviously, the PoE Spitter dont passthrough PoE so now you'll have to use that 12v to power both the camera and the motion sensor, usually get a barrel splitter and chop/strip one of the barrels off.
Oh geez, I thought the POE splitter would pass the POE through the port, lol aahhh, turning into lots more work as I now have to find a barrel splitter that fits the poe splitter and the camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bob Sherger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What's the best way to mount these? I ordered 5 but didn't get any junction boxes or anything. Can you mount horizontal (under eaves) and vertical (wood siding or stud/drywall)?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they can be surface mounted at pretty much any angle, dont even require level.. as long as you can handle the wiring plug and water proof it if needed with self bonding tape.

if you drill through under the mount to bring wiring in/out, it needs to be at least 3/4in to pass the plug through.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks man, I started playing with the BI motion detection today on one of my cameras, I think I'll see how it goes. If it works enough I may just buy some of the starlight turrets since I don't know when I'll be able to get the bullets and turrets look nicer and will be easier to set up, also they are not spider magnets from what I hear.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, thats an old 12x SD59212S-HN.. its been discontinued for a couple years now but still runs great.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Question @nayr, the turrets are motorized, but do they auto focus when you zoom in and out, or is it just motorized focus but you still have to play with it?