Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
they autofocus or you can manually focus, its an option on the focus screen.
Sweet, I may throw my couple manual varifocal cameras up for sale then and replace them with turrets cuz manual zoom isn't so bad, manual focus with little knobs that can move if you try to tighten them down or screw the cap on the bullet too tight kinda suck, haha.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
************UPDATES
I get another 100pcs stock today, so you guys can buy directly. For those order still pending ones, we can ship all out on Wednesday/Thursday.
EMPIRE Shop
Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

BEC shop

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

We can't ship any new order if this lot stock use up, because we have a 20days new year holiday from Jan.15th-Feb.5th.
If can't buy online, so have to use paypal, most guys use this way before.

Thanks for your support.
Andy

Andy, does it matter which shop I order a turret from? If I order today will it go out this week?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
here's a more zoomed in view, about 2/3rds zoom.. this view would be nice when the kids are sticking to the playset.
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-27-16-31-38.jpg

one of the reasons I installed this low was so the IR would reach to the fence and zoom could work on playset.. if the yard was in the center of the image then this wouldn't of worked.

not seeing over the privacy fences was a nice side benefit i had not realized until installed; going low is better than going high if you want to see up close and far away at same time.. When that tree fills in the kids wont be able to hide behind it as easy as they could w/PTZ up high.

I can make a preset w/my home automation software by calling zoom/focus numbers via HTTP API

*edit*
Night Time:
Galileo NVR-Dahua 2MP Starlight HDW5231R-Z-2016-12-27-17-58-51.jpg

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
here's a more zoomed in view, about 2/3rds zoom.. this view would be nice when the kids are sticking to the playset.
View attachment 13412

one of the reasons I installed this low was so the IR would reach to the fence and zoom could work on playset.. if the yard was in the center of the image then this wouldn't of worked.

not seeing over the privacy fences was a nice side benefit i had not realized until installed; going low is better than going high if you want to see up close and far away at same time.. When that tree fills in the kids wont be able to hide behind it as easy as they could w/PTZ up high.

I can make a preset w/my home automation software by calling zoom/focus numbers via HTTP API
Interesting, what home automation system do you use?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
View attachment 13412

I just ordered one turret to try out from empire, hope it ships this week, haha.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its in my sig and you'll find my thread in the home automation subforum

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
fenderman claims false alarm rates as good as a physical sensor out of his BlueIris setups; but he's a pro and knows quite well what the cameras and software is capable of.. Takes alot of tuning and testing but honestly physical sensors typically do also, mebe not as much but if you just slap a sensor up that can see too much it'll false all the time also, thats why lights w/built in motion sensors that cant be aimed/tuned are always going off when nothing is around.
Most built sensors on outdoor lighting are using active motion sensor which is why it cheap to build and sell. Active motion sensors send out some type of waves and it watch for the disturbance in the waves to detect movement, nature itself have many movement like tree branches which causes the outdoor light to come on often even when there are seem to be nothing out there. Even movement from tall grasses is enough to disturb the wave from those cheapo sensors.

PIR, which is passives sensor, shouldn't have as many false signal as the active sensors and it should be able to fine tune better than the ones on the outdoor lights.

There are "dual" sensors out there but I don't know how good or how does it make comparison between the two signal before determining that it detected a movement.

I am surprised that anyone could get a good rates using the BlueIris built in motion detector since it uses the pixel to determine a movement. I believe one possible way is that such systems are in areas where there not too many bugs flying around since a bug only couple inches away from the camera look like human size in the video and triggers the motion detector. Other possible is that IR is not enable during night time which reduces the reflection from the bugs and rain/snow up close in the camera len.

I am Deaf and I been messing with many different type of motion sensors including the pixels motion sensors trying to find the sweet spot with the lowest number of false alarm since I depend it on to alert me of someone on my property because I will not be able to hear them coming even I could not hear a garbage truck driving by.

Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am surprised that anyone could get a good rates using the BlueIris built in motion detector since it uses the pixel to determine a movement. I believe one possible way is that such systems are in areas where there not too many bugs flying around since a bug only couple inches away from the camera look like human size in the video and triggers the motion detector. Other possible is that IR is not enable during night time which reduces the reflection from the bugs and rain/snow up close in the camera len.
It can absolutely be done...it has many more sophisticated options than your standard crap camera motion detection.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
It can absolutely be done...it has many more sophisticated options than your standard crap camera motion detection.
I started playing with it today on one of my cams and it seemed to work well, tomorrow will be the test when I arm it while at work. Ordered one of those starlight turrets to play with also.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I am aware of Blue Iris feature having more options than a standard camera motion detection.

But what caught my attention was your post that you claimed with the "right" setting in BlueIris, that we could eliminate the false alarm. Is that 100% with pixel detection or with the aid of external motion detector like PIR sensor to eliminate or reduce the number of false alarm.

I can't see how a BlueIris would tell the different between a human being walking at a distance and a bug flying up close pass the camera Len when both look the same size in the video but the bug wouldn't trigger the alarm while a human being walking would trigger it.

I use one trick to determine which motion capture is worth checking in playback when the length of the recording event exceed the length that I predetermined which tells me there was a good amount of movement during that period.

A bug flying by would have a very short quick event while a person continuously moving around in front of a camera would have a long event.

So I am guessing that BlueIris must have some type of option to determine the length of event is worth saving and marked as alarm because I find it hard to believe that BlueIris can tell the different between two objects solely on pixels alone then again I really have not explored BlueIris option/setting deeply enough to learn it fully.

Bill

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think we are going too much off topic. But also one sentence from me...

Dahua IVS is woring nearly perfect. I have outside watching my caravan less than 10 false positive events a week. That's much better than every pixel based analysis. What does it much better than every other solution I know (I can compare to Activity sensor from mobotix):
- extremely easy to configure, just a few easy steps, nearly no fine tuning nesesary!
- works perfectly on rain and snow, as long as the lens is clear, mens no drops on it
- no throttle in picture frame rate like Mobotix
- needs a moving objekt for several seconds

Cons:
- recordings will stop if the person is inside the area, and doesn't move.
- if trees and other biggesr moving objects are inside the zone it could cause events, on windy conditions, but much less than Mobotix does
- deep sun and shadows can cause events when it's windy.

I know that a software base solution is maybe possible to do more intelligent anlysis, but it's expensive and need a powerful processor especially the more cams you use and the higher the resolution is. Next thing is the codec.

I never used blue iris, but zone alarm for several years, but why should I pay for a software bases system, when dahuas ivs is mostly much enough...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think we are going too much off topic. But also one sentence from me...

Dahua IVS is woring nearly perfect. I have outside watching my caravan less than 10 false positive events a week. That's much better than every pixel based analysis. What does it much better than every other solution I know (I can compare to Activity sensor from mobotix):
- extremely easy to configure, just a few easy steps, nearly no fine tuning nesesary!
- works perfectly on rain and snow, as long as the lens is clear, mens no drops on it
- no throttle in picture frame rate like Mobotix
- needs a moving objekt for several seconds

Cons:
- recordings will stop if the person is inside the area, and doesn't move.
- if trees and other biggesr moving objects are inside the zone it could cause events, on windy conditions, but much less than Mobotix does
- deep sun and shadows can cause events when it's windy.

I know that a software base solution is maybe possible to do more intelligent anlysis, but it's expensive and need a powerful processor especially the more cams you use and the higher the resolution is. Next thing is the codec.

I never used blue iris, but zone alarm for several years, but why should I pay for a software bases system, when dahuas ivs is mostly much enough...
No solution is perfect not even PIR, I don't think you could ever get it down to 0 false positives, especially with outdoor cameras, and the more cameras you have the more chances for false positives. The goal is to get them down to an amount that doesn't over load you so much that you stop checking. I currently don't have an alarm system so I'm relying on the cameras to tell me if someone is oh my property or in the house so I can react right away, call the police, jump in my car and head for the house to confront etc. But I hope to evolve things to where I'm not relying totally on the cameras.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
no, thats an old 12x SD59212S-HN.. its been discontinued for a couple years now but still runs great.
I may offer a free sample for Ryan for evaluating in the 2017 for the latest new starlight PTZ. He always professional for everything, and make all guys work easy and very helpful. You guys want to know a 25 Optical zooms or 30 optical zoom? Or SD59430U-HNI?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I may offer a free sample for Ryan for evaluating in the 2017 for the latest new starlight PTZ. He always professional for everything, and make all guys work easy and very helpful. You guys want to know a 25 Optical zooms or 30 optical zoom? Or SD59430U-HNI?
I just ordered a starlight turret to test for myself but I think I could safely say that we are most interested in the 2017 30x startlight ptz over a 4mp standard one, given the difference between the 4mp cameras now and the starlight ones. getting a nice ptz has been on my list for a while but if there is a 2017 version coming I'll wait for that, do you know when you'll have them?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just ordered a starlight turret to test for myself but I think I could safely say that we are most interested in the 2017 30x startlight ptz over a 4mp standard one, given the difference between the 4mp cameras now and the starlight ones. getting a nice ptz has been on my list for a while but if there is a 2017 version coming I'll wait for that, do you know when you'll have them?
seems all starlight one is 2mp right now, i am waiting their new release in the 2017, hope can have some.Right now still no news.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would suggest that is a great idea as his opinion is respected here and @nayr is definately a Dahua supporter and sold many of your products. I think you should consider sending him your best units as it will impact your sales in the long run with out a doubt. I am even now myself going to buy from you as well for my cottage cameras the vari focal units.

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would suggest that is a great idea as his opinion is respected here. I might suggest you send him your best unit as it will impact your sales in the long run with out a doubt.
As long as it is still affordable... I'd like to see his review on anything, but if it is a 3000 dollar camera...i still can't buy it no matter how badass it is.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I would suggest that is a great idea as his opinion is respected here and @nayr is definately a Dahua supporter and sold many of your products. I think you should consider sending him your best units as it will impact your sales in the long run with out a doubt. I am even now myself going to buy from you as well for my cottage cameras the vari focal units.
Yes, i 100% respect him. So which camera you guys want to test? But Ryan have to be free to do this,i will keep in mind. Not just for selling, i just very happy to make something different. I visit dahua today, and they will have more new cams in the 2017. I will let you guys know.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just installed BI last month...Still waiting on cameras from Andy...Should have 2 tomorrow according to FedEx.

I have noty gone through the BI help yet but have reviewed a few YouTube videos on it.
Are there any tutorial videos out there you know of that speak specifically to the setup and use of the more sophisticated motion detection options you speak of or is it really just a play and learn thing? I have not reviewed the help file for BI in detail yet but I do a lot better with demo training videos than help files.
Thanks