Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like the price went up $179.99
Just contact Andy (the shop owner) and say you came from ipcamtalk, price will be 170$. ;-)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this thing is very light sensitive, and that can present problems.. for example I flipped the camera back to look at the Southern facing yard here in the evening and noticed the camera was strobing brighter/darker but not to any beat.. completely randomly; so I turn off WDR and all sorts of shit trying to fix it.. then I go outside and notice the sun's in the right position to cast a hard shadow off a tree branch blowing in the wind.. it was sensitive enough to pick it up, so I cut the branch off and the problem went away.

I suspect IR Reflection could be a big problem if you want to zoom in since it has a wide angle IR on it.. and unlike my southern facing bullet, it has no hood to shade the lens from a southernly view in the northern hemisphere.

Just something to keep in mind, the sun and shadows are constantly on the move so what's great today might have you breaking out a chainsaw in a few months.. if the sun is never going to be in the same direction as the camera then tree shadows probably wont ever be an issue.

I also notice alot of blowing dust/pollen with this camera at night that my other cameras didnt pickup.. so external IR might not be such a bad idea even if the onboard IR is adequate for you.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
oh noes. You actually found a negative for this camera! Impossible!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@nayr

As i checked dahua now has IPC-HFW8232E-Z without WDR and IPC-HFW8231E-Z with WDR, i would like to know if WDR play an important role for the starlight or not? Because seems they are only this part different.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IPC-HFW8232E-Z fram rate at 60fps@1080p, IPC-HFW8231E-Z 30fps@1080p, so maybe the HFW8232E-Z better? I am not sure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@nayr

As i checked dahua now has IPC-HFW8232E-Z without WDR and IPC-HFW8231E-Z with WDR, i would like to know if WDR play an important role for the starlight or not? Because seems they are only this part different.
the 8232 has a much larger 1/1.9 sensor than the 8231...

BLKMGK

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You guys are terrible, I have a completely dark side and backyard that I now want to see with one of these lol!

And since Andy is nice enough to be posting here I might have to see if he has anything else I want as well!

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ordered one for testing from Andy :)

Anyway i liked the mini ptz because of the pan posibiltys but for a number of positions i might better of with fixed and zoom unit which is much better in the dark. Will save me hooking up ir units there possibly. Will also depend on the street lighting finally but i cannot predict that bedore house is there. So some extra conduit to these areas for optional ir is what i will do.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Perhaps i did, but otherwise i do not mind to wait few weeks longer. I also asked for slow shipping, as otherwise customs and tax kill the deal. So will see when it arrives.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
No problem at all, i will bring more and more stock in, but this model really too slow processing from dahua, booked 40pcs only 7pcs ship out. Next week will come many i think. Let's see. Starlight ones i think can be a big advantages toward the currently cameras, and will make a good performance in the future. Currently dahua only use 2MP, and as Ryan's fully testing, it already exceed 3mp or 4mp working. Thanks again for your support.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
hey Guys,

As one of my client want to use a camera to watch the plate, may i know if can use the ultra smart Starlight bullet cameras? Last time one of my NL clients used them. Seems OK, but he not provide me any further details, the model is IPC-HFW8232EP-ZH.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hey Guys,

As one of my client want to use a camera to watch the plate, may i know if can use the ultra smart Starlight bullet cameras? Last time one of my NL clients used them. Seems OK, but he not provide me any further details, the model is IPC-HFW8232EP-ZH.
I suggest you always link to your site the camera you are speaking of as it would be helpful and drive sales I am sure.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
IPC-HFW8232E-Z -ZH means Mortozied lens with Heating function. So just refer to the HFW8232E-Z is OK. Sorry we can't put all ship links here, that is not good. Here mainly talk about tech.