Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
When I am ready I want to buy a 12 or 24 port POE+ switch, I haven't figured out the difference between a midspan and a regular POE switch, maybe @nayr can shed some light, the midspan's appear to have an uplink port, are they just dumb un-managed switches?

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Aren't midspans passive and simply dump the juice to the device and not 802.3af? ??

When I am ready I want to buy a 12 or 24 port POE+ switch, I haven't figured out the difference between a midspan and a regular POE switch, maybe @nayr can shed some light, the midspan's appear to have an uplink port, are they just dumb un-managed switches?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've currently got one of these I've had for a while, dunno if it counts as a midspan but I think when I am ready to upgrade my home network I will go with a 24 port gigabit switch and a 12 or 24 port POE+ gigabit midspan, if such a thing exists and one day I may upgrade my wireless APs to a couple of the type @nayr likes, the name escapes me right now. currently I just use 2 home routers with everything else turned off, works pretty good though lol.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
thanks Ryan, as just get a good news, have some more stock today from dahua, 1 week earlier than the schedule, hope the left ones also can be earlier.
Seems i have around 20pcs left not ship out after this. I am trying to do my best with my team, not just myself do this job or else will die.lol.......
I will offer the best price and service for all guys for the dahua items.
These days some guys from EU asking the tax, and we have the good solutions for it, last month a guy from NL bought 6pcs SD59230U-HNI for his new house, i use the special way for him, no tax at all.We pre-paid some here. Seems can save around 700usd for the tax, maybe more. Just shipping time a little longer. For German market, if declare low price, they will ask the payment proof, a 170usd camera they will charge around 60usd tax. Seems those guys search the selling price online. Anyway, they add all costs to the importing. But US till now no problem. Sometimes i just find a good solutions for all you guys. Shipping speed all based on the stock,
using DHL or FEDEX always reliable.

I shipped 2 wrong cams to the members here, one guy accept extra one i shipped to him, and another guy changed the address and ship to the right guy. I am so pleased to work with these honest guys. and appreciated for all your help.

Andy

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
A midspan is a power hub, it not really a switch. Sort like a monster size PoE Ethernet injector ;)

Midspan hub is a good choice to use if you already own a 16 port or 24 port high end switch and don't want to invest in another switch with PoE to replace the ones you already have.

Only con about midspan hub is you have to run Ethernet cable from each switch port into midspan hub then out to the cameras or PoE devices which mean more cables to make.

If you know how to make your own Ethernet cables then this should save you money if you already own a good switch that not PoE.

Bill

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
thanks Ryan, as just get a good news, have some more stock today from dahua, 1 week earlier than the schedule, hope the left ones also can be earlier.
Seems i have around 20pcs left not ship out after this. I am trying to do my best with my team, not just myself do this job or else will die.lol.......
I will offer the best price and service for all guys for the dahua items.
These days some guys from EU asking the tax, and we have the good solutions for it, last month a guy from NL bought 6pcs SD59230U-HNI for his new house, i use the special way for him, no tax at all.We pre-paid some here. Seems can save around 700usd for the tax, maybe more. Just shipping time a little longer. For German market, if declare low price, they will ask the payment proof, a 170usd camera they will charge around 60usd tax. Seems those guys search the selling price online. Anyway, they add all costs to the importing. But US till now no problem. Sometimes i just find a good solutions for all you guys. Shipping speed all based on the stock,
using DHL or FEDEX always reliable.

I shipped 2 wrong cams to the members here, one guy accept extra one i shipped to him, and another guy changed the address and ship to the right guy. I am so pleased to work with these honest guys. and appreciated for all your help.

Andy
6 ptz for his house? Good lord, I'm so jealous, I wanted that ptz til I saw the 2016 model and now I'm wondering if I should wait for 2017 model, haha. Thanks Andy, you're a good dude.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
A midspan is a power hub, it not really a switch. Sort like a monster size PoE Ethernet injector ;)

Midspan hub is a good choice to use if you already own a 16 port or 24 port high end switch and don't want to invest in another switch with PoE to replace the ones you already have.

Only con about midspan hub is you have to run Ethernet cable from each switch port into midspan hub then out to the cameras or PoE devices which mean more cables to make.

If you know how to make your own Ethernet cables then this should save you money if you already own a good switch that not PoE.

Bill
I do make my own, but honestly you can probably get them almost as cheap on monoprice as you can make them for lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a midspan because im rocking a 48p switch and getting a switch this size w/PoE is not a reasonable cost.. its best to run one big floor switch if possible, then each port is capable of full speed to any other port without any uplink choke points.. the backplane on a switch allows full speed to all the ports simultaneously.

I got a PoE+ GigE 24 Port Midspan and a 48p GIgE Managed Switch used from recyclers for less than $200 total and they fit nicely in my cabinets.. I have a bucket full of pre-fab patch cables from monoprice.. whom wants to make/test that many cables, plus short 1-3ft patch cables are supposed to be stranded copper so you dont risk damaging the solid copper static lines from repeated re-patching.

With the midspan I usually patch new cameras right up to my laptop/pc and bypass the switch all together; at least to configure it correctly so it can get onto my network.. thats one nice thing about midspan is you can use it like a simple injector.

Last edited:

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great camera and review.

Does anyone know if the zoom and focus will be adjustable in Synology's Surveillance Station if setup via Onvif protocol?
It is adjustable in Blue Iris. Via regular PTZ interface. Works fine.
Today I have added my 4431R-Z (also with motorized zoom and focus) to Synology Surveillance station and I can confirm that the zoom also is adjustable.
(sorry for hijacking this thread with this information)

neonate

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My (3) 5231R's were waiting for me when I got home last night (Thank you very much again Andy!), just in time as another Huisun PTZ decided to end it's service this week. Now I just need to wait until this weekend to get up on the ladder to replace them.

The PTZ were fun, but while a nice price point at the time, I think I'll just slowly replace the rest of them with the 5231's to get the better night image and maybe get 1 or two Huisin PTZ in areas that I would like to be able to adjust at some future point.

Tic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wondering...do these turrets overheat considering they have circuit boards crammed in such small spaces and no ventilation?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
My (3) 5231R's were waiting for me when I got home last night (Thank you very much again Andy!), just in time as another Huisun PTZ decided to end it's service this week. Now I just need to wait until this weekend to get up on the ladder to replace them.

The PTZ were fun, but while a nice price point at the time, I think I'll just slowly replace the rest of them with the 5231's to get the better night image and maybe get 1 or two Huisin PTZ in areas that I would like to be able to adjust at some future point.
using ptz's in place of regular cameras, ballin'.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wondering...do these turrets overheat considering they have circuit boards crammed in such small spaces and no ventilation?
I'm pretty sure if that were a thing they would have stopped making turrets and dome cameras many years ago lol. if you're camera gets that hot you may have other issues, I sure wouldn't mount any camera directly in the sun if I could help it. though it would probably be fine unless you live in death valley.

rracctv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hope that synology isn't connected to the internet

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I thought the vulnerabilities were patched???

Is it the surveillance station or the synology in general>

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
on a side note my turret shipped yesterday and I just got a call that it may require a signature, it's in ohio and should be here tomorrow. If i love it I will try to order maybe 3 more before chinese new year, even if I don't get them until after, I just couldn't bring myself to order more than one camera without testing it out for myself first. Even though nayr's pictures and video examples were great.