Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

AaronNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Very keen to get a couple of these cameras having spent a few days investigating options - this seems like one of the best value for money cameras out there. Both ali express stores appear to be out of stock - do we know when they might be available again? Thanks!

PR0r

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for waiting guys~Just back to work, have thousands emails for the past 2 weeks holiday, will do my best to process them, for the orders can ship out later this week, dahua also starts working today. The stock still at their warehouse.:)
Andy
Wait a minute, the stock on the AliExpress store wasn't actually available? How does that work? When I made my purchase several days back it showed approximately 20 available, and days later 0 available. So this was essentially pre-sale, without being advertised as such?

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for waiting guys~Just back to work, have thousands emails for the past 2 weeks holiday, will do my best to process them, for the orders can ship out later this week, dahua also starts working today. The stock still at their warehouse.:)
Andy
AWESOME, I need more cameras! starlight turrets and bullets please.

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I took a look at both the turret version and the bullet version. Is it correct that the difference between the turret version and bullet version is the turret has 2 IR LEDs and built-in mic, and the bullet version has 4 IR LEDs and no built-in mic? Thanks.

IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

IPC-HFW5231E-Z | Dahua Technology
Yes, + bullet has audio and alarm I/O and power consumption 11.5W (maybe because 4 IR LEDs) while turret has 8.5W.

:)I just purchased 1 bullet and 2 turrets. The bullet was the last one.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anybody know the difference between the Dahua IPC-HDW5231RP-Z and the one discussed on this thread, the IPC-HDW5231R-Z?

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Those with the P should be the PAL versions .....
Cheers,
jonatha

olli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I don't need the varifocal, does there exist any cheaper model from Dahua? Why are so many people even wanting the varifocal, since it costs a lot extra?

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to set up scheduling with this cam on the lens? Like during the day have it 8-10mm then at night back it out to 2.8mm? This will be my first verifocal so forgive my ignorance.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@olli even if you dont need the varifocal it comes with an optical aperture thats nearly 2x the size of the fixed lens Starlights.. this results in much better photon gathering capabilities and that results in much better low light capabilities.

here's a F2.0 Fixed (3.6mm) Starlight:

here's the F1.4 Varifocal Starlight:

Both cameras had the exact same exposure settings, the only difference was the size of the aperture between the Varifocal and a Fixed Focal

IMHO, its worth the extra ~$35 for just the low light gains even if you dont care about varifocals..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to set up scheduling with this cam on the lens? Like during the day have it 8-10mm then at night back it out to 2.8mm? This will be my first verifocal so forgive my ignorance.
No, not it's intended useage. It is designed so you can setup the field of view you want during install, then leave it alone, unless you move the cam to a different location.

drewgost

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Help apparently something went wrong (me) I seem to be locked out of my new camera HDW5231R-Z Any ideas how to reset it?

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Don't Panic,unplug the Ethernet cable and try again. Happened to me also.