Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll start with a 4tb WD purple. If I find I want to store more video or get more cameras I can always pop another in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I started with a 6 TB purple and wanted more storage time with 8 cameras. I recently added 3 more cameras for a total of 11 and at the same time added another 8 TB purple. Nine cameras of the 11 do continuous recording to disk at 1080P, and 10 FPS. My videos go back to Dec 17. I use a system with Intel I7 processors and run Blue Iris software. Edit - Bit rate is set to max out at 1000 Kbit/sec

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to understand that resolution and frame rate do not impact storage capacity...it only depends on bitrate...
I'd imagine resolution and frame rate would be part of the equation for determining the bit rate. The compression codec obviously plays a big part too.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started with a 6 TB purple and wanted more storage time with 8 cameras. I recently added 3 more cameras for a total of 11 and at the same time added another 8 TB purple. Nine cameras of the 11 do continuous recording to disk at 1080P, and 10 FPS. My videos go back to Dec 17. I use a system with Intel I7 processors and run Blue Iris software. Edit - Bit rate is set to max out at 1000 Kbit/sec
That's a pretty long retention period. I can definitely see how it would be helpful when I go on vacation though.

I suppose there is no harm just popping two 4tb drives in for a total of 8tb.

Are you just using the standard WD purple drives? The manual for the DVR suggests 7200rpm drives and these are 5400rpm. Somehow doubt it'll make a difference.

billv

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's a pretty long retention period. I can definitely see how it would be helpful when I go on vacation though.

I suppose there is no harm just popping two 4tb drives in for a total of 8tb.

Are you just using the standard WD purple drives? The manual for the DVR suggests 7200rpm drives and these are 5400rpm. Somehow doubt it'll make a difference.

The purple drives are designed for surveillance systems, optimized for high write rates. They have been recommended here and other places for theses system. So far I haven't run into a problem. Make sure your DVR can handle the drives. Since my system is a standard PC, I just spanned the two drives. Windows just added the extra space onto the end of the existing space and the system sees the two drives as a single logical drive.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the awesome review. You have me convinced, but I have a question about accessing this camera's interface. Does it want you do use any Active-x or other sketchy software before making any changes? Or can you just type in the IP address and boom, full access to all the settings?

Thank You

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd imagine resolution and frame rate would be part of the equation for determining the bit rate. The compression codec obviously plays a big part too.

yes, but it has no ultimate effect if you keep the bitrate constant..its all about what you set the bitrate to...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the awesome review. You have me convinced, but I have a question about accessing this camera's interface. Does it want you do use any Active-x or other sketchy software before making any changes? Or can you just type in the IP address and boom, full access to all the settings?
Dahua works in most browsers, though a browser plugin is generally needed to view the video feed.

Last edited:

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been looking for a decent camera for my driveway . I have two out there now and i am curious if this would be a good choice. I have a laview NVR. I am attaching a picture from both cameras (sorry about the phone pic but it was the easiest way get an example. My wife's car is generally in the driveway also and she has a white SUV. One of my concerns would be which camera to replace to get a better night shot. We leave the driveway lights on and across the street is a not so great street light. 20170204_152632.jpg 20170204_153508.jpg

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Subscribed. I need to order 2 of these to replace 2 PTZ 10x cams that died within 6 months.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Dahua works in any browser, though a browser plugin is generally needed to view the video feed.
I cannot get it to work in any browser I have installed ( default and Chrome) on my android devices (phone or tablet).
I want to pull up the cam GUI directly by IP this way.
Am I missing somehing then?

It will prompt me to DL a plugin but it is not something Android will install as I think it just a windows type plugin link.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I cannot get it to work in any browser I have installed ( default and Chrome) on my android devices (phone or tablet).
I want to pull up the cam GUI directly by IP this way.
Am I missing somehing then?

It will prompt me to DL a plugin but it is not something Android will install as I think it just a windows type plugin link.
In not Windows you need a chrome app that doesn't exist in Android, you're screwed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In not Windows you need a chrome app that doesn't exist in Android, you're screwed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I think that Chrome does not support Dahua plugin. You could use ie or firefox for exsample.